Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Monitor directory and email
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Monitor directory and email Post 302331424 by dhawalkv on Monday 6th of July 2009 06:47:07 AM
Old 07-06-2009
and what if i would like to run it every 5 minutes?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Monitor which users enter my home directory

Hi, I would like to monitor which users enter my home directory. Is it possible to write a script or code to do this. I donot have admin privileges. I have given read permissions to access my home directory. Any pointers in this direction is helpful! Thanks, Pradeep Ps: I use the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnpradeep
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hep with script to monitor directory

Hello, I am a newbie who is attempting to write a script to monitor a directory for a set of 3 files that I am expecting to get ftp'd. Occasionally, we suspend operations for maintenance etc. but we still get the files so there can be more than 1 set. If there is more than 1 set, I would like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmf00186
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to monitor directory

What is the best way for a script to run to monitor a directory for the presence of files and then perform a function afterwords? I was hoping to have it continually run and sleep until it detects that files are present in the directory, then break out of the loop and go on to the next step. ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: nulinux
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitor capacity of directory

Good morning. I have been attempting to find a way to monitor the capacity of a directory so that when it reaches 80% or higher I can send an event. I was able to find a script that does this for the whole drive by I can not seem to figure out how to do this for just a single directory. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
1 Replies

5. AIX

monitor directory events

I'm am looking for a cheap way to trigger a script when a new file is written in a specific directory. AIX 5.3. It is a production system, so no kernel patching (i.e. inotify). Filemon and audtiing are too expensive. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbillast
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory Monitor in KSh

Hi, I need to write a directory monitor, i.e. a korn shell script which would Report changes to the directory contents, like: added file1, deleted file2, updated file3 , created subdir (optional)... There is no specific file pattern. So far I have written a little script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: olegkon
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

howto monitor a directory for files then sftp them

Morning all I hope I have put this in the correct forum. I have a requirement to monitor a directory on a server for files being sftp'ed in and then to sftp them of to another server. The issues I have though of are making sure the files have completely transferred onto the server before they... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ltodd2
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

monitor(audit) and log changes inside directory

Hi, everyone I would like to write ksh script in ksh (HP-UX), to audit any changes inside target directories. My enviroment has many constrains, so I can only use ksh and cannot install any 3rd party soft or command (include perl or other languages) The script functions like below 1) take a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stev.h
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor directory size of specific users

Hi, i am new to shell scripts, i need to write a script that can monitor size of directory of specific users. Please help. Thanks, Nitin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicksrulz
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to monitor size in directory

i'm trying to find the most efficient way to monitor specific files in different directories in one go. /var/log/ /var/app/ /var/db/ each one of these directories can have subdirectories which need to be looked into as well. I want to find any file in this directory that has the name... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies
SHUTDOWN(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       SHUTDOWN(8)

NAME
shutdown, poweroff -- close down the system at a given time SYNOPSIS
shutdown [-] [-h | -p | -r | -k] [-o [-n]] time [warning-message ...] poweroff DESCRIPTION
The shutdown utility provides an automated shutdown procedure for super-users to nicely notify users when the system is shutting down, saving them from system administrators, hackers, and gurus, who would otherwise not bother with such niceties. The following options are available: -h The system is halted at the specified time. -p The system is halted and the power is turned off (hardware support required) at the specified time. -r The system is rebooted at the specified time. -k Kick everybody off. The -k option does not actually halt the system, but leaves the system multi-user with logins disabled (for all but super-user). -o If one of the -h, -p or -r options are specified, shutdown will execute halt(8) or reboot(8) instead of sending a signal to init(8). -n If the -o option is specified, prevent the file system cache from being flushed by passing -n to halt(8) or reboot(8). This option should probably not be used. time Time is the time at which shutdown will bring the system down and may be the case-insensitive word now (indicating an immediate shut- down) or a future time in one of two formats: +number, or yymmddhhmm, where the year, month, and day may be defaulted to the current system values. The first form brings the system down in number minutes and the second at the absolute time specified. +number may be specified in units other than minutes by appending the corresponding suffix: ``s'', ``sec'', ``m'', ``min''. ``h'', ``hour''. warning-message Any other arguments comprise the warning message that is broadcast to users currently logged into the system. - If '-' is supplied as an option, the warning message is read from the standard input. At intervals, becoming more frequent as apocalypse approaches and starting at ten hours before shutdown, warning messages are displayed on the terminals of all users logged in. Five minutes before shutdown, or immediately if shutdown is in less than 5 minutes, logins are dis- abled by creating /var/run/nologin and copying the warning message there. If this file exists when a user attempts to log in, login(1) prints its contents and exits. The file is removed just before shutdown exits. At shutdown time a message is written to the system log, containing the time of shutdown, the person who initiated the shutdown and the rea- son. The corresponding signal is then sent to init(8) to respectively halt, reboot or bring the system down to single-user state (depending on the above options). The time of the shutdown and the warning message are placed in /var/run/nologin and should be used to inform the users about when the system will be back up and why it is going down (or anything else). A scheduled shutdown can be canceled by killing the shutdown process (a SIGTERM should suffice). The /var/run/nologin file that shutdown created will be removed automatically. When run without options, the shutdown utility will place the system into single user mode at the time specified. Calling ``poweroff'' is equivalent to running: shutdown -p now FILES
/var/run/nologin tells login(1) not to let anyone log in EXAMPLES
Reboot the system in 30 minutes and display a warning message on the terminals of all users currently logged in: # shutdown -r +30 "System will reboot" COMPATIBILITY
The hours and minutes in the second time format may be separated by a colon (``:'') for backward compatibility. SEE ALSO
kill(1), login(1), wall(1), nologin(5), halt(8), init(8), reboot(8) HISTORY
The shutdown utility appeared in 4.0BSD. BSD
December 15, 2014 BSD