Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting For loop find statement file name manipulation Post 302331119 by cbo0485 on Friday 3rd of July 2009 02:35:07 PM
Old 07-03-2009
For loop find statement file name manipulation

Code:
for i in `find . -name "*.BEFORE_DISASTER_RECOVERY"`;do dir_name=`dirname $i`;file_name=`basename $i`;cd $dir_name;mv $file_name (STUCK HERE) ;pwd;cd $BASE_DIR;done

Okay, so I was able to get to this point. As you can see, I have a small for loop that searches for any files with the string BEFORE_DISASTER_RECOVERY in the file name, it then sets two variables dir_name and file_name, cd's to the dir_name directory, and then this is where I'm stuck. I need to mv $file_name to $filename minus ".BEFORE_DISASTER_RECOVERY.

I'm sure it's something simple, but this is where I'm currently stuck.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if statement in for loop of a string

I am attempting to pass a string into awk and loop through it, and then for every occurrance of a certain character perform an action. In this case, for example, echo 1 for each time character r is found in the string. Except I can't get it to work. Could someone please tell me why? echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sniper Pixie
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if statement in a while loop

#!/usr/bin/ksh echo Please enter while read n do echo $n >> datafile done question: How can I enject an if statement that if the users enter 0 (zero) the program will exit? this is what I have but not working #!/usr/bin/ksh echo Please enter number while read n do if $n=0 then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop statement - catch error

I'm having a question about for loops. (bash) I have the following for example: for file in `ls *.txt` do read file ... done Now when there is a file present there is no problem, now when there is no file present I get the following output in my standard mail box : "No such... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lumdev
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For loop using find with file name spaces

Hello All, This question is actually for the service console of VMware ESX 3.5 but is relevant to this forum I think. I have been advised to use the following commands: for i in `find /vmfs/volumes/Test_VMFS/ -name "*.vmx"` do echo "$i" #sed -i 's/scsi1:0.present =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mronsman
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to create a loop in an if statement

Hey guys, a=`cat abc | wc -l` b=`cat def | wc -l` if $a== $b then echo "a" else echo "b" fi I want the if condition to retry itself , untill a==b. I can't use goto statemt. Please help. Thanx in advance. Please use next time code tags for your code and data (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaituteja
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Statement to find if an entry exists in a file

I need to check if an entry input by the user is in a file. If so, I need to run a command, and if it does not exist then it should output entry does not exist. So I have so far... echo "Enter record:" read record //command || //command Can I use an if statement to do this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itech4814
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk if statement in a for loop?

I need to match multiple values in a single column in a file: example: Source file: abd,123,one def,232,two ghi,987,six Target file: 12345,abcde,123 09876,zxvyr,566 56789,lmnop,232 Variable: var1=`grep 2 sourcefile | awk '{print$1}' essentially, echo "$var1" would read:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kopfgeldjagar
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop within if statement

Hi, I'm a rookie who is trying to learn this stuff. What I need help with is putting together a non complicated "while" loop within the below "if" statement. I also need the while loop to keep looping until the user types a key to end the loop. Please reveal the proper insertion points. Thank... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jefferj54
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop multiple directory, find a file and send email

Hello ALL, need a BASH script who find file and send email with attachment. I have 50 folders without sub directories in each generated files of different sizes but with a similar name Rp01.txt Rp02.txt Rp03.txt ...etc. Each directors bound by mail group, I need a script that goes as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penchev
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

0403-016 Cannot find or open the file in If Statement

Hi, I am comparing the number of records in the .bad record from sql loader, if it is higher than the number passed in as an argument, the program should exit. However, I constantly receive the error " 0403-016 Cannot find or open the file." on the line with the if statement "elif ;". The code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
3 Replies
realpath(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					      realpath(3C)

NAME
realpath - resolve pathname SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> char *realpath(const char *restrict file_name, char *restrict resolved_name); DESCRIPTION
The realpath() function derives, from the pathname pointed to by file_name, an absolute pathname that names the same file, whose resolution does not involve ".", "..", or symbolic links. The generated pathname is stored as a null-terminated string, up to a maximum of {PATH_MAX} bytes (defined in limits.h(3HEAD)), in the buffer pointed to by resolved_name. RETURN VALUES
On successful completion, realpath() returns a pointer to the resolved name. Otherwise, realpath() returns a null pointer and sets errno to indicate the error, and the contents of the buffer pointed to by resolved_name are left in an indeterminate state. ERRORS
The realpath() function will fail if: EACCES Read or search permission was denied for a component of file_name. EINVAL Either the file_name or resolved_name argument is a null pointer. EIO An error occurred while reading from the file system. ELOOP Too many symbolic links were encountered in resolving file_name. ELOOP A loop exists in symbolic links encountered during resolution of the file_name argument. ENAMETOOLONG The file_name argument is longer than {PATH_MAX} or a pathname component is longer than {NAME_MAX}. ENOENT A component of file_name does not name an existing file or file_name points to an empty string. ENOTDIR A component of the path prefix is not a directory. The realpath() function may fail if: ENAMETOOLONG Pathname resolution of a symbolic link produced an intermediate result whose length exceeds {PATH_MAX}. ENOMEM Insufficient storage space is available. USAGE
The realpath() function operates on null-terminated strings. Execute permission is required for all the directories in the given and the resolved path. The realpath() function might fail to return to the current directory if an error occurs. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getcwd(3C), limits.h(3HEAD), sysconf(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 9 Oct 2003 realpath(3C)