Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Guide to differences between Solaris and AIX Post 302328807 by susant4u on Thursday 25th of June 2009 08:28:12 AM
Old 06-25-2009
Bug differences between Unix and AIX

AIX is one of many flavors of unix. It is generally quite stable and easier to perform day to day administration tasks since it has a menu system (smit/smitty)from which you can perform nearly all tasks from. This menu system also allows you to see the commands generated by your choices, so you're not a slave to the interface. It seems to perform memory management better than other UNIX OS'esfrom what I've seen. In AIX, commands have a stronger naming convention than in other OS'es For example: mksysb makes a system backup, mkitab makes an inittab entry, mkdir makes a directory, lsvg lists volume group info, lspv lists physical volume info, etc, etc. So AIX is a Unix operating system, as is Sun Solaris, HP/UX, and others

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Differences between Solaris 2.5 and 9

Hi Can anybody tell what are the great differences in Solaris 2.5 and 9? I am seeking information like differences in libraries, User Interface, Configuraion files, daemons, Packaging and archiving tools, Hardware supported etc. Please help me, as this is little urgent. Even if you can refer... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: charlcy
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Major differences between AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, Linux

Hi All, I want to know the OS level differences between AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, Linux Apart from the vendor, H/w and command differences, any other significant points. regards, guru Charan (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurukottur
9 Replies

3. AIX

AIX emgr -l -u VUID command and differences from AIX3 to 6?

Hey, I currently only have access to an AIX 6.1 system with no interim fix information I.E. any emgr -l -u command results in the following: 'There is no efix data on this system' Could anyone provide me with valid output of a emgr -l -u VUID command when there IS efix data on a system for the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstullkid
0 Replies

4. Solaris

OpenSolaris, Solaris, Solaris Express - differences

What are the differences between these systems? I have to use Oracle's product but I do not know who to choose (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PtaQ
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Differences of Solaris zone and Solaris Container

Hi everyone! I am in dire need to know what are the differences between a solaris zone and a solaris container.. Explanations over the net are very confusing. Please help. Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arah
8 Replies

6. AIX

Aix process CPU differences.

Hi, I'm trying to create a script to catch a process which is consuming high CPU which I have pretty much done but it's just finding the correct place to pull the current CPU for that process. When viewed in Topas it's consuming 99.*% cpu But if I try using ps avg or ps -eo pcpu ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: elmesy
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help understanding differences between AIX and RHEL

I have started a new job which requires AIX admin skills, which I have, and RHEL skills. Does anyone have a cheat sheet that if I know how to solve the problem in AIX how would I do that in RHEL? I was an IBM pre-sales technical trying to keep sales guys honest - not possible. Any other links to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SpenceSnyder
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dot sourcing differences in ksh, AIX vs Linux vs Solaris

Why does dot sourcing of ksh functions behave so differently between AIX, Solaris, and Linux? How can I make Linux behave the way I want in the test I show below? I have a library of interdependent functions I have developed and use in ksh in AIX. They also run in Solaris. Now I am migrating... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: charles_n_may
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh / AIX - Differences between lists to a text file

This seems pretty simple, but I cant figure it out. I get stumped on the simple things. I am running two commands 1) take a listing a directory of files, and filter out the doc_name (which is in a series of extracted files), and place it in a file. ls -l | awk '{print $9}' | grep... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
5 Replies
sysman_menu(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    sysman_menu(8)

NAME
sysman_menu - Graphical interface to run system management tasks SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/sysman [-ui cui | gui] [-display displayname] [-menu] /usr/sbin/sysman [-accel] <accelerator> [arguments] /usr/sbin/sysman [-menu] <name> [arguments] /usr/sbin/sysman [-menu] -list /usr/sbin/sysman [-menu] -help | -h /usr/sbin/sysman -focus hostname OPTIONS
Specifies the user interface to be invoked. The choices are: Specifies command line interface. Specifies graphical user interface. Speci- fies the display screen on where sysman_menu displays its window. If the display option is not specified, sysman_menu uses the display screen specified by your DISPLAY environment variable. The display option has the format hostname:server.number. The default is :0.0. For more information, see the X(1X) reference page. In a TruCluster environment, some management tasks effect the cluster as a whole and some are local to a specific cluster member. If a task requires focus, the "Choose a host to manage" dialog box will be displayed. To launch the task directly, bypassing this dialog box, you can specify the -focus option. Directly invokes the task with that accelerator. Any arguments are passed on to the task itself. Use sysman -list for a list of the accelerators. If the accelerator is for a branch of the menu and not an executable task, then the menu hierarchy is expanded to display the con- tents of the specified branch. Same as -accel option but the name of the task as displayed in the SysMan Menu is specified. For example, sysman -menu "Manage local users". Any arguments are passed on to the task itself. The name is for a branch of the menu and not an executable task, then the menu hierarchy is expanded to display the contents of the specified branch. Displays a list of all the tasks that can be run from the SysMan Menu and their accelerators. Displays help for the SysMan Menu. DESCRIPTION
SysMan Menu is used by the system administrator to obtain system management data and run selected system management tasks. SysMan Menu pro- vides a menu of system management tasks in a tree type display, with branches of management categories and leaves of actual tasks. Select- ing a leaf or tasks invokes a task, which displays a dialog for performing the task. SysMan Menu and its associated tasks can be run on an X Windows display, a terminal with curses capability, locally on a PC, or from a Web browser. For detailed information in running SysMan Menu from a PC or a Web browser, please use your Web browser and go to: http://your_machine_name:2301/SYSMAN/index.html. Online help is available for the SysMan Menu. To get help, select the Help button. RESTRICTIONS
You must have root privileges to perform most tasks with this application. You can grant root privileges for specific users or groups of users using the Division of Privileges (DOP) application. See the dop(8) reference page and the online help in the sysman dopconfig appli- cation for additional information. You must have the root privileges to execute some of the tasks on the SysMan Menu. EXAMPLES
The following example shows how to launch the Manage local users task from the command line using an accelerator name: sysman -accel users The following example shows how to invoke SysMan Menu in curses mode: sysman -ui cui The following example shows how to get a listing of tasks and their accelerators: sysman -list The following example, displays the status of the NFS related daemons on a remote cluster mem- ber: sysman -focus nfs_config_status SEE ALSO
Commands: sysman_station(8), sysman_cli(8), sysman_clone(8), sysman(8) System Administration http://your_machine_name:2301/SYSMAN/index.html sysman_menu(8)