Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Edit other than the first and last record of a text file Post 302328264 by rakeshawasthi on Wednesday 24th of June 2009 01:27:03 AM
Old 06-24-2009
Code:
awk '{if(NR!=1 && NR !=_last_line){print}}' _last_line="`wc -l inputfile|awk '{print $1}'`" inputfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit and insert character in a text file

Hello All, Can somebody please help me how to accomplish the following : I have a text file called data.txt that has the following information : M|88494-998494 M|98jd#0094 M|88394-994049 M|GFG9980#009944 and so on... I need to replace the value of M to either "S" or "X"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: negixx
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read the record from a text file

Hi I want to read one row record from a text file. For eg: I have Sample.txt file with one row of record like 123456768 I want to get the above value from the file and assign it to a variable in my script. Please guide me how to proceed. Thanks, Soll (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sollins
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

edit this text file

hi, i need to remove the first column (and dash) from this text file. Is there any unix command allowing me to do it ? 1-16 2-28 3-16 4-20 5- 8 6-32 7-19 8-16 9-27 10- 7 11-14 12-18 thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get awk to edit in place and join all lines in text file

Hi, I lack the utter fundamentals on how to craft an awk script. I have hundreds of text files that were mangled by .doc format so all the lines are broken up so I need to join all of the lines of text into a single line. Normally I use vim command "ggVGJ" to join all lines but with so many... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: n00ti
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through text file > Copy Folder > Edit XML files in bulk?

I have a text file which contains lines in this format - it contains 105 lines in total, but I'm just putting 4 here to keep it short: 58571,east_ppl_ppla_por 58788,east_pcy_hd_por 58704,east_pcy_ga_por 58697,east_pcy_pcybs_por It's called id_key.txt I have a sample folder called... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: biscuitcreek
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open the file and edit/append the text

Hi i have a file like this mailboxnum 20 filename <to subsitute> fileloaction /home/dd234/ filetype txt in a directory i have set of files for ex: TT45.1.2 TT45.1.3 TT45.1.4 . . in for loop i have to take this files and subsitute one by one ex: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete text from each record in a file

Hi guys, I have been given a small task to do and I am stuck already. I have to format a file with people's emails address in it ready for pasting into the BCC section of an email. The file looks like this:- bob@ibm.com SMTP BOB SMITH text text text sue@icl.org SMTP Susy Smith text text... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: joe_evans
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED/AWK to edit/add field values in a record

Hi Experts, I am new to shell scripting. Need some help in doing one task given by the customer. The sample record in a file is as follows: 3538,,,,,,ID,ID1,,,,,,,,,,, It needs to be the following: 3538,,353800,353800,,,ID,ID1,,,,,COLX,,,,,COLY, And i want to modify this record in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sugarcane
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit first line of a text file

Hi friends, Issue1: I have a text file with the first line like this #chrom start end Readcount_A Normalized_Readcount_A ReadcountB Normalized_Readcount_B Fc_A_vs_B pvalue_A_vs_B FDR_A_vs_B Fc_B_vs_A pvalue_B_vs_A FDR_B_vs_A <a href="http://unix.com/">Link</a> How can I change it to the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to edit a text file

hi, could someone share a short script that would process a .txt file and do the following, for example the text file has this form 0:1.0 1:1.0 2:2.0 3:3.0 4:4.0 5:5.0 6:6.0 7:7.0 8:8.0 ... {newline} 9:9.0 10:10.0 11:11.0 12:12.0 13:13.0 14:14.0 15:15.0 16:16.0 17:17.0 ... {newline} and I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c_lady
3 Replies
audit(2)																  audit(2)

NAME
audit - write a record to the audit log SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file ... -lbsm -lsocket -lnsl [ library... ] #include <sys/param.h> #include <bsm/libbsm.h> int audit(caddr_t record, int length); The audit() function is used to write a record to the system audit log. The data pointed to by record is written to the log after a mini- mal consistency check, with the length parameter specifying the size of the record in bytes. The data should be a well-formed audit record as described by audit.log(4). The kernel validates the record header token type and length, and sets the time stamp value before writing the record to the audit log. The kernel does not do any preselection for user-level generated events. If the audit policy is set to include sequence or trailer tokens, the kernel will append them to the record. Upon successful completion, 0 is returned. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. The audit() function will fail if: EFAULT The record argument points outside the process's allocated address space. EINVAL The record header token ID is invalid or the length is either less than the header token size or greater than MAXAUDIT- DATA. EPERM The {PRIV_PROC_AUDIT} privilege is not asserted in the effective set of the calling process. USAGE
Only privileged processes can successfully execute this call. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ bsmconv(1M), auditd(1M), auditon(2), auditsvc(2), getaudit(2), audit.log(4), attributes(5), privileges(5) The functionality described in this man page is available only if the Basic Security Module (BSM) has been enabled. See bsmconv(1M) for more information. 31 Mar 2005 audit(2)