Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Regular Expression to match repeated characters Post 302328144 by jambesh on Tuesday 23rd of June 2009 01:18:35 PM
Old 06-23-2009
Regular Expression to match repeated characters

Hello All

I have file which contain sample data like below -

test.txt
----------------------------------------------
jambesh aaa india
trxxx

sdasd
mentor
asss
light
train
bbblah
---------------------------------------------

I want to write a regX which would print only those line which contain patteren like xxx or aaa bbb etc.

When ever the same character repeated atleast 3 times that line should print

Here the output should :
------------------------
jambesh aaa india
trxxx
asss
bbblah

etc.

Any suggestion ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exact match with regular expression

Hi I have a file with data arranged into columns. The first column is the chromosome name. When I use grep to subset only rows with chr1, I get chr1 but also chr10, chr11,.. How do I get only rows with chr1? grep chr1 filein > fileout head fileout chr1 59757841 chr11 108258691 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdhahbi
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular Expression - match 'b' that follows 'a' and is at the end of a string

Hi, I'm struggling with a regex that would match a 'b' that follows an 'a' and is at the end of a string of non-white characters. For example: Line 1: aba abab b abb aab bab baa I can find the right strings but I'm lacking knowledge of how to "discard" the bits that precede bs.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: machinogodzilla
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression match

Hi all, any idea how to match the following: char*<no or any string or space> buf and char *<no or any string or space> buf i need to capture the buf characters too. currently i need two checks to cover this: #search char* <any string> buf or char *<any string> buf @noarray =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChaMeN
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression to match repeated appearance

Hi all, I am looking for a regex syntax to match repeated appearance. Likes, ']+]+' matches for string '65A SOME MORE AND 78B' Now, this gets messy if I need to extract all such repeated appearance. I don't want to write ] four or five times for matching repeated appearance. Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruparan18
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression match

I am trying to match a similar line using grep with regular expression the line is /remote/mac/pbbbb/abc/def/hij/hop/include/abc/tif/element/test/testfiles/Office.cpp:57: const OfficeType& getType().get() const; I just need to extract the bold characters using grep with regular expression.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasbala
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression exact match

hi everyone suppose we have two scenario echo ABCD | grep \{4\} DATE echo SYSDATE | grep \{4\} SYSDATE i want to match the string of four length only please help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

matched characters - regular expression

Hi, I read the book of <<unix shell programming>>. The regular expression ^\(.\)\1 matches the first character on the line and stores it in register 1. Then the expression matches whatever is stored in the register 1, as specified by the \1. The net effect of this regular expression is to match... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jianma
2 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Regular Expression to match files in Perl

Hi Everybody! I need some help with a regular expression in Perl that will match files named messages, but also files named message.1, message.2 and so on. So really I need one that will find messages and messages that might be followed by a period and a digit without matching other files like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hax0rc1ph3r
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl split match regular expression with or

I cannot seem to get this to work correct: my ($k, $v) = split(/F/, $fc{$DIR}{symbolic}, 2); Below is the input (the $fc{$DIR}{symbolic} variable): QMH2562 FW:v5.06.03 DVR:v8.03.07.15.05.09-kbut i also need it to break on FV: Emulex NC553i FV4.2.401.6 DV8.3.5.86.2pthe code above... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rusted_planet
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression match

echo 20110101 | awk '{ print match($0,/^((17||18||19||20)|)-*(|0|1)-*(|0||3)$/)) I am getting a match for the above, where as it shouldn't, as there is no hyphen in the echoed date. Another question is what is the difference between || and | in the above statement (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
4 Replies
vgrindefs(5)						Standards, Environments, and Macros					      vgrindefs(5)

NAME
vgrindefs - vgrind's language definition data base SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/vgrindefs DESCRIPTION
vgrindefs contains all language definitions for vgrind(1). Capabilities in vgrindefs are of two types: Boolean capabilities which indicate that the language has some particular feature and string capabilities which give a regular expression or keyword list. Entries may continue onto multiple lines by giving a as the last character of a line. Lines starting with # are comments. Capabilities The following table names and describes each capability. +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ | Name | Type | Description | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |ab | str |Regular expression for the start of an | | | |alternate form comment | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |ae | str |Regular expression for the end of an alter- | | | |nate form comment | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |bb | str |Regular expression for the start of a block | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |be | str |Regular expression for the end of a lexical | | | |block | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |cb | str |Regular expression for the start of a com- | | | |ment | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |ce | str |Regular expression for the end of a comment | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |id | str |String giving characters other than letters | | | |and digits that may legally occur in iden- | | | |tifiers (default `_') | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |kw | str |A list of keywords separated by spaces | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |lb | str |Regular expression for the start of a char- | | | |acter constant | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |le | str |Regular expression for the end of a charac- | | | |ter constant | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |oc | bool |Present means upper and lower case are | | | |equivalent | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |pb | str |Regular expression for start of a procedure | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |pl | bool |Procedure definitions are constrained to | | | |the lexical level matched by the `px' capa- | | | |bility | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |px | str |A match for this regular expression indi- | | | |cates that procedure definitions may occur | | | |at the next lexical level. Useful for lisp- | | | |like languages in which procedure defini- | | | |tions occur as subexpressions of defuns. | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |sb | str |Regular expression for the start of a | | | |string | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |se | str |Regular expression for the end of a string | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |tc | str |Use the named entry as a continuation of | | | |this one | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |tl | bool |Present means procedures are only defined | | | |at the top lexical level | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ Regular Expressions vgrindefs uses regular expressions similar to those of ex(1) and lex(1). The characters `^', `$', `:', and `' are reserved characters and must be `quoted' with a preceding if they are to be included as normal characters. The metasymbols and their meanings are: $ The end of a line ^ The beginning of a line d A delimiter (space, tab, newline, start of line) a Matches any string of symbols (like `.*' in lex) p Matches any identifier. In a procedure definition (the `pb' capability) the string that matches this symbol is used as the procedure name. () Grouping | Alternation ? Last item is optional e Preceding any string means that the string will not match an input string if the input string is preceded by an escape character (). This is typically used for languages (like C) that can include the string delimiter in a string by escaping it. Unlike other regular expressions in the system, these match words and not characters. Hence something like `(tramp|steamer)flies?' would match `tramp', `steamer', `trampflies', or `steamerflies'. Contrary to some forms of regular expressions, vgrindef alternation binds very tightly. Grouping parentheses are likely to be necessary in expressions involving alternation. Keyword List The keyword list is just a list of keywords in the language separated by spaces. If the `oc' boolean is specified, indicating that upper and lower case are equivalent, then all the keywords should be specified in lower case. EXAMPLES
Example 1 A sample program. The following entry, which describes the C language, is typical of a language entry. C|c|the C programming language: :pb=^d?*?d?pd?(a?)(d|{):bb={:be=}:cb=/*:ce=*/:sb=":se=e": :le=e':tl: :kw=asm auto break case char continue default do double else enum extern float for fortran goto if int long register return short sizeof static struct switch typedef union unsigned void while #define #else #endif #if #ifdef #ifndef #include #undef # define endif ifdef ifndef include undef defined: Note that the first field is just the language name (and any variants of it). Thus the C language could be specified to vgrind(1) as `c' or `C'. FILES
/usr/lib/vgrindefs file containing vgrind descriptions SEE ALSO
ex(1), lex(1), troff(1), vgrind(1) SunOS 5.11 10 Aug 1994 vgrindefs(5)