Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Echo working funny
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Echo working funny Post 302327986 by Franklin52 on Tuesday 23rd of June 2009 06:09:54 AM
Old 06-23-2009
Use printf in your awk code instead of a print statement, replace this:

Code:
print $word_count

with:

Code:
printf "%s " $word_count

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Funny but true....

Hallo everybody I am having a shell script called auto_run.sh in that only the first line works. the second line which has sed command is working only at the # prompt. not within the shell script. What could be the reason. *... sed 's/ //g' KTI >abc works in another shell script without the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: naushad
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is echo $variable >> text.txt working in MacOSX?

Hi New at this, but want to learn more. I'm trying this as an Shell Command in MacOSX; newdate='<TIME>' echo $newdate >> /Users/ttadmin/Desktop/test.txt And it don't work. But if I just use; echo <TIME> >> /Users/ttadmin/Desktop/test.txt (<TIME> is an variable that one program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackt
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

why the set rr='echo string|cut not working

I am new to the c shell script, can you let me know why the set rr= is not working. C shell script #! /bin/csh Set tt= 12345_UMR_BH452_3_2.txt set rr='echo $tt | cut –d”_” -f1' syntax error (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdsignature88
4 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Old, but still funny

Annoyances.org - Upgrading to Wife 1.0 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo is not working as expected

for i in `cat /export/home/afahmed/Arrvial_time.txt` do echo $i echo $i | awk '$3 < $D { print $4 }' >> dynamic_DF.txt; done When i echo, its echo as Nov 15 02:24 /export/home/pp_adm/inbound//wwallet_20111115.txt where i expect it to be Nov 15 02:24... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: afahmed
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo two variables like the paste command is not working

Dear all, I have two files like this file1 A B C D E F file2 1,2 3,4 5,6 I want this output output_expected A B 1,2 C D 3,4 E F 5,6 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: valente
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo not working with $

$cat FILE.txt $PATH1/file1.txt $PATH2/file2.txt where$PATH 1 = /root/FILE_DR/file1.txt $PATH 2 = /root/FILE_DR/file2.txt for I in `cat FILE.txt` do v=`echo $I` echo $v if then rm $v (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ekharvi
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo command not working in the script

HI I have and echo command which works perfectly in the shell but when i execute in the script it gives me an error code query is as below QUERY=`echo "Select Severity,Dupl_count,Creation_Time,Last_Received,Node_Name,Node_Name,Object,Message_Group,Message_Text,Last_Annotation from " \ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
2 Replies
TR(1)							      General Commands Manual							     TR(1)

NAME
tr - translate characters SYNOPSIS
tr [ -cds ] [ string1 [ string2 ] ] DESCRIPTION
Tr copies the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters. Input characters found in string1 are mapped into the corresponding characters of string2. When string2 is short it is padded to the length of string1 by duplicat- ing its last character. Any combination of the options -cds may be used: -c complements the set of characters in string1 with respect to the universe of characters whose ASCII codes are 01 through 0377 octal; -d deletes all input characters in string1; -s squeezes all strings of repeated output characters that are in string2 to single characters. In either string the notation a-b means a range of characters from a to b in increasing ASCII order. The character `' followed by 1, 2 or 3 octal digits stands for the character whose ASCII code is given by those digits. A `' followed by any other character stands for that character. The following example creates a list of all the words in `file1' one per line in `file2', where a word is taken to be a maximal string of alphabetics. The second string is quoted to protect `' from the Shell. 012 is the ASCII code for newline. tr -cs A-Za-z '12' <file1 >file2 SEE ALSO
ed(1), ascii(7), expand(1) BUGS
Won't handle ASCII NUL in string1 or string2; always deletes NUL from input. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 TR(1)