Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to add a line to the file Post 302322119 by drugplant on Wednesday 3rd of June 2009 12:17:16 AM
Old 06-03-2009
May be you need something like

$ sed '/^echo No \/t2\/bin\/tsdbdwn2 is here, skipping$/{n; a\
Your new string after fi
}' your_file

Search your uniq line, then go to next line (which is `fi') and add your string.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add a line to a file.

Hi I need to add a line to several files. But this line can only be added if it has an 'a' or 'A' in its current first line and only for the first line of each file. I tried sed, but i cant figure how to make it change just the first line. It just changes me all lines with an a. Can you give... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scarlos
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add a line to a file

Hi I want to search for a string and add a new line after that line in the file. Say I have a file Input file adfad aadfsdfsa adfadsf <name>TypeOptions</name> adfdasf adfad adfad outputfile adfad aadfsdfsa adfadsf <name>TypeOptions</name> <option xsi:type="metadata:Option"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add new parameters into a line, and redirect the line to other file

How can i add new parameters into a line, and redirect the line to other file? For example: 1.sh name:owner google:richard youtube:student I want a, for example 2.sh with: name:owner:description google:richard:search site youtube:student:video site In the 2.sh, I added a new column:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafazz
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

howto add line as a first line into a non empty file

Hi Trying to do like this : echo "$variable1\n $(cat file.txt)" but it only adds one time. When I run this cmd again with different variable it only replaces line of variable1. How to add constantly line into first line in file ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
3 Replies

5. Linux

Add file's date at beginning of every line in file

How would I do that? /Rutger (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rutgerblom
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file and for each line replace two variables, add strings and save output in another file

Hi All, I have a file, let's call it "info.tmp" that contains data like this .. ABC123456 PCX333445 BCD789833 I need to read "info.tmp" and for each line add strings in a way that the final output is put /logs/ua/dummy.trigger 'AAA00001.FTP.XXX.BLA03A01.xxxxxx(+1)' where XXX... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andy_ARG
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add line break for each line in a file

I cannot seem to get this to work.. I have a file which has about 100 lines, and there is no end of line (line break \n) at the end of each line, and this is causing problem when i paste them into an application. the file looks like this this is a test that is a test balblblablblhblbha... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fedora
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify a file by another file: add new line and variable after string is found

hello, I have problem with writing/adjusting a shell script. I searched forum and unfortunately couldn't write scipt based on the information I found. I never wtire such so it's hard for me and I do need to modify one script immediately. case looks like: 1. 'file' that needs to be modified... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bipbip
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

create txt file form data file and add some line on it

Hi Guys, I have file A.txt File A Data AK1521 AK2536 AK3164 I want create text file of all data above and write some data on each file. want Output on below folder /home/kka/out AK1521.txt Hi Welocme (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace and add line in file with line in another file based on matching string

Hi, I want to achieve something similar to what described in another post: The difference is I want to add the line if the pattern is not found. File 1: A123, valueA, valueB B234, valueA, valueB C345, valueA, valueB D456, valueA, valueB E567, valueA, valueB F678, valueA, valueB ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyu3
11 Replies
update-motd(5)							File Formats Manual						    update-motd(5)

NAME
update-motd - dynamic MOTD generation SYNOPSIS
/etc/update-motd.d/* DESCRIPTION
UNIX/Linux system adminstrators often communicate important information to console and remote users by maintaining text in the file /etc/motd, which is displayed by the pam_motd(8) module on interactive shell logins. Traditionally, this file is static text, typically installed by the distribution and only updated on release upgrades, or overwritten by the local administrator with pertinent information. Ubuntu introduced the update-motd framework, by which the motd(5) is dynamically assembled from a collection of scripts at login. Executable scripts in /etc/update-motd.d/* are executed by pam_motd(8) as the root user at each login, and this information is concatenated in /var/run/motd. The order of script execution is determined by the run-parts(8) --lsbsysinit option (basically alphabetical order, with a few caveats). On Ubuntu systems, /etc/motd is typically a symbolic link to /var/run/motd. BEST PRACTICES
MOTD fragments must be scripts in /etc/update-motd.d, must be executable, and must emit information on standard out. Scripts should be named named NN-xxxxxx where NN is a two digit number indicating their position in the MOTD, and xxxxxx is an appropriate name for the script. Scripts must not have filename extensions, per run-parts(8) --lsbsysinit instructions. Packages should add scripts directly into /etc/update-motd.d, rather than symlinks to other scripts, such that administrators can modify or remove these scripts and upgrades will not wipe the local changes. Consider using a simple shell script that simply calls exec on the external utility. Long running operations (such as network calls) or resource intensive scripts should cache output, and only update that output if it is deemed expired. For instance: /etc/update-motd.d/50-news #!/bin/sh out=/var/run/foo script="w3m -dump http://news.google.com/" if [ -f "$out" ]; then # Output exists, print it echo cat "$out" # See if it's expired, and background update lastrun=$(stat -c %Y "$out") || lastrun=0 expiration=$(expr $lastrun + 86400) if [ $(date +%s) -ge $expiration ]; then $script > "$out" & fi else # No cache at all, so update in the background $script > "$out" & fi Scripts should emit a blank line before output, and end with a newline character. For instance: /etc/update-motd/05-lsb-release #!/bin/sh echo lsb-release -a FILES
/etc/motd, /var/run/motd, /etc/update-motd.d SEE ALSO
motd(5), pam_motd(8), run-parts(8) AUTHOR
This manpage and the update-motd framework was written by Dustin Kirkland <kirkland@canonical.com> for Ubuntu systems (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 3 published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. update-motd 13 April 2010 update-motd(5)