Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to grep files with $ sign in their name Post 302318774 by navtech on Friday 22nd of May 2009 08:26:15 AM
Old 05-22-2009
Yeah you are right tom_cmu. I am using the same thing in my script.

Pls. find more insight on problem :
Suppose i have two jars
Jar1 contains xyz.class , xyz$abc.class, aaa.class
Jar2 contains abc.class bbb$xyz.class, bbb.class and so on.

Queries are ---

1) At runtime if i search for abc.class in jar1 it returns true, because of xyz$abc.class which is incorrect.
It should return true only for jar2 which has file with name abc.class

2) If i have to search for file xyz$abc.class in jar1 how to do that with grep. As grep takes $ as special symbol and i cannot put \ in front of $ to suppress it in variable which contains its name.

Is there way in awk or sed to implement this

Hope I am more clear in stating problem this time. Your reply will be helpfull

snippet of script made is .....

for file in new_files/*.class
do
if [ -f $file ]
then
fntoreplace=`echo $file | cut -d "/" -f2`
echo $fntoreplace
jar -tvf old_jarfiles/$jarname | grep "\<$fntoreplace\>"

- - - - - -

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sign on/Sign off logging script

I'd like to make a script that I can execute every time I sign on to my linux box that keeps track of the time and allows to me to add a remark to a file. So basically once I log in, I run the script, and it outputs the date and time to a text file (log.txt). But that isn't my problem. I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Glider
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

minus sign

why a minus sign is put for options in unix commands suggestions plz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to grep word from .gz files & .z files

Hi I have find some account numbers from .gz files. There thousands of .gz files, also i am unable to grep .gz / .z files. I want to find file names & and those lines from list. Could you pls tell me / give me any syntax for finding word from ,gz files using grep? Thanks in advance (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: udaya_subbu
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

@ sign in permissions?

I am using Mac OS X version 10.5.7, and had a problem accessing a folder on our shared area network. I logged in via terminal (bash shell), and did a ls -l on the main directory, and the directory that isn't showing up has an @ sign at the end: rwxr-xr-x@ 19 admin staff 2048 Jun 1 07:53... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aaronstella
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for certain files using a file as input to grep and then move

Hi All, I need to grep few files which has words like the below in the file name , which i want to put it in a file and and grep for the files which contain these names and move it to a new directory , full file name -C20091210.1000-20091210.1100_SMGBSC3:1000... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anita07
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep $ sign help?

hi so I was debugging some scripts and I ran into a problem that did not come up before grep -n "$variable"$ ./file.txt I figured the second $ is meant to reference the end of the line but this gave me trouble in my c shell. anyone know whats wrong here or how to rewrite this??? Thank... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vas28r13
2 Replies

7. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Unable to sign in

I am unable to sign in to the UNIX forum. I tried my username "timotei2" and the password - but access was denied. My email address - <removed> - was not recognised, either. This is strange as I registered some years back. Should I re-register, or can nyou re-set my log in credentials? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Unregistered
1 Replies

8. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Sign in issues

I tried logging in under my username (Michael Mullig) but as it's been a while I've forgotten my password. None of my email addresses are recognized either. Thinking that my username my have been purged due to lack of activity (understandable) I tried to re-register, only to find the name is still... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike Mullig
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python - glob () - How to grep same files with different extension files

Hi I Have a directory and i have some files below abc.txt abc.gif gtee.txt ghod.pid umni.log unmi.tar How can use glob function to grep abc files , i have created a variable "text" and i assigned value as "abc", please suggest me how can we use glob.glob( ) to get the output as below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar85shiv
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable has value with = or == sign

I have a script which is reading value from property file and doing replacement in source location which contains multiple files. property file has values abc=xyz; yux=1;version=3.0; bcd=123;apple==mango when my script does search and reads value from property file. its replacing value... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shamkamde
1 Replies