Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Amanda Configuration for Asymmetric encryption Post 302317527 by choogendyk on Tuesday 19th of May 2009 08:19:58 AM
Old 05-19-2009
OK, since you now seem to be back to something that works, change only one thing at a time so that testing and debugging is easier.

When you change your amanda.conf, start by making a copy amanda.conf.works. Then don't delete or comment out anything, just add the lines as you had before to define the dumptype server-encrypt-fast (they look correct). I presume the "//while using this" is commentary you added here for the forum. It should not be in the amanda.conf file.

After you change amanda.conf, run `amcheck DailySet1`. Maybe even wait a day and let your backups run to see that you didn't break anything. Then change one of the entries in your disklist to use dumptype server-encrypt-fast (presuming everything else is configured).

Note that all the setup for encryption and your key management have to be done very carefully and tested at each stage. If you mess it up or lose your key, you will not be able to recover encrypted backups. Go back to the wiki page and the man page for amcrypt-ossl-asym(8) and check all your details.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File encryption/Key encryption ????

My dilemma, I need to send, deemed confidential, information via e-mail (SMTP). This information is sitting as a file on AIX. Typically I can send this data as a e-mail attachment via what we term a "mail filter" using telnet. I now would like to somehow encrypt the data and send it to a e-mail... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hugow
1 Replies

2. Solaris

amanda's amcheck fail in solaris 10

i got this error message when trying to run amcheck on solaris 10 (sparc). bash-3.00$ amcheck DailySet1 Amanda Tape Server Host Check ----------------------------- slot 10:read label `DailySet1-10', date `X'. NOTE: skipping tape-writable test Tape DailySet1-10 label ok NOTE: conf info... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: conandor
2 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

File encryption tools with MAC address as an encryption key

Hi all, I'm looking for secure file encryption tools that use MAC address as encryption key. FYI, I'm using Red Hat Enterprise Linux OS. For example: when A wants to send file to B A will encrypt the file with B's computer MAC/IP address as an encryption key This file can only be decrypted... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sergionicosta
2 Replies
AMDUMP(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 AMDUMP(8)

NAME
amdump - back up all disks in an Amanda configuration SYNOPSIS
amdump config [ host [ disk ]* ]* DESCRIPTION
Amdump switches to the appropriate Amanda configuration directory, e.g. /etc/amanda/config, then attempts to back up every disk specified by the amanda.conf file. Amdump is normally run by cron. You can specify many host/disk expression, only disks that match an expression will be dumped. All disk are dumped if no expression are given. If file /etc/amanda/config/hold exists, amdump will wait until it is removed before starting the backups. This allows scheduled backups to be delayed when circumstances warrant, for example, if the tape device is being used for some other purpose. While waiting, amdump checks for the hold file every minute. See the amanda(8) man page for more details about Amanda. EXAMPLE
Here is a typical crontab entry. It runs amdump every weeknight at 1 a.m. as user bin: 0 1 * * 1-5 bin /usr/sbin/amdump DailySet1 Please see the crontab(5) or crontab(1) manual page for the correct crontab format for your system. MESSAGES
amdump: waiting for hold file to be removed The "hold" file exists and amdump is waiting for it to be removed before starting backups. amdump: amdump or amflush is already running, or you must run amcleanup Amdump detected another amdump or amflush running, or the remains of a previous incomplete amdump or amflush run. This run is ter- minated. If the problem is caused by the remains of a previous run, you must execute amcleanup(8) and then rerun amdump. AUTHOR
James da Silva <jds@cs.umd.edu> University of Maryland, College Park SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amcheck(8), amcleanup(8), amrestore(8), amflush(8), cron(8) AMDUMP(8)