Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Format CSV file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Format CSV file Post 302316320 by colemar on Thursday 14th of May 2009 06:40:37 PM
Old 05-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tina_
John Smith, job-title, hours
John Smith, job-title, hours
Mary Smith job-title, hours

John smith, job-title, hours(hours for the whole month..)
Mary Smith job-title, hours
As I understand, you would like to sum the third field over the lines having the same first field, and for each distinct first field output a single line with the sum replacing the third field.
Code:
awk -F, -v OFS=, 'FNR==NR{a[$1]+=$3;next}$3=a[$1]{print$0;a[$1]=0}' file.csv file.csv > result.csv

Yes, you have to give to awk the name of the input file two times in a row.

Sorry, I don't know what a .xlsx file is. Perhaps a xml file formatted by/for Excel?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to Parse a CSV file into a Different Format

Hi I have a CSV file with me in this format Currency, USD, EUR, USD, 1.00, 1.32, EUR, 0.66, 1.00, How do I transpose the file to get to the format below. currency, currency, rate USD, USD, 1.00 USD, EUR, 1.32 EUR, USD, 0.66 EUR, EUR, 1.00 Thanks for your help We are using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdesiks
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK CSV to TXT format, TXT file not in a correct column format

HI guys, I have created a script to read 1 column in a csv file and then place it in text file. However, when i checked out the text file, it is not in a column format... Example: CSV file contains name,age aa,11 bb,22 cc,33 After using awk to get first column TXT file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mdap
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing the format of CSV file

Hi Experts, Please help me to get the following from script for Unix ENvironment(shell, perl, tr, sed, awk). INPUT FILE: 20K,ME,592971 20K,YOU,2 20K,HE,1244998 50K,YOU,480110 50K,ME,17 50K,HIS,10 50K,HE,1370391 OUTPUT FILE: K,ME,YOU,HE,HIS 20K,592971,2,1244998,0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashis.tewari
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format a date in a csv file

So I have a csv file where the 3rd field is a date string in the format yyyy-mm-dd. I need to change it to mm/dd/yyyy. So each line in the csv file looks like: StringData,StringData,2009-02-17,12.345,StringData StringData,StringData,2009-02-16,65.789,StringData Any idea how I can keep... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpiller
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format txt file to CSV

Hi All, I have a file with content FLIGHT PLANS PRODUCED ON 26.08.2008(SORTED BY FPLAN NUMBER) RUN DATED 27/08/08 PAGE 1 -------------------------------------------------------------- FPLAN FPLAN PRE BTCH BATCH POST BTCH BATCH BATCH ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: digitalrg
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

format output in csv file

I am sending the output of a file to .csv file. The output should look like this: Total Customers Processed:,8 Total Customers Skipped:,0 Total Customers Added:,8 Total Customers Changed:,0 Total Policies Deleted:,0 Total Policies Failed:,0 total:,8 Now i want this output in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prashant Jain
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert the below file to csv format

Hi , i want to change this question, i will post soon.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth2567
6 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Format csv file using Unix

Hi All, I have an csv file with three rows, where first containing header deatils. is there any way to make the first row to appear bold using UNIX command. Input File: Name Rank arun 1 babu 2 Expected Output: Name Rank arun 1 babu 2 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunmanas
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format csv file

Hi, I need to make some changes in a csv file using awk or perl. Unfortunately, all my attempts have led to nothing so I hope you guys can help me. I have the following example input file including header(original file has 35 fields): ABC: DE Time: 2012/09/07... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies
whois(1)							   User Commands							  whois(1)

NAME
whois - Internet user name directory service SYNOPSIS
whois [-h host] identifier DESCRIPTION
whois searches for an Internet directory entry for an identifier which is either a name (such as ``Smith'') or a handle (such as ``SRI- NIC''). To force a name-only search, precede the name with a period; to force a handle-only search, precede the handle with an exclamation point. To search for a group or organization entry, precede the argument with * (an asterisk). The entire membership list of the group will be displayed with the record. You may of course use an exclamation point and asterisk, or a period and asterisk together. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Using The whois Command The command: example% whois Smith looks for the name or handle SMITH. The command: example% whois !SRI-NIC looks for the handle SRI-NIC only. The command: example% whois .Smith, John looks for the name JOHN SMITH only. Adding ... to the name or handle argument will match anything from that point; that is, ZU ... will match ZUL, ZUM, and so on. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWrcmdc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 6 Nov 2000 whois(1)