Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Edit field count result
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Edit field count result Post 302316020 by cfajohnson on Wednesday 13th of May 2009 09:37:22 PM
Old 05-13-2009
Code:
a=$(awk 'END {print NF}' foobar)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count of Field for Non-Empty

Hi Guys, I wanted to count the number of records for a particular field of a file. whose fields are separated by comma"," I fI use this command. cat "filename" cut -sd "," -f13 | wc -l This shows all the lines count including the blank values for the field number 13. I wanted to count... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Swapna173
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditional edit for a field using sed

Hi I want to repalce a field in a txt file on solaris with say 100 records and each record having a total of 10 fields separated by a ~ . based on the following condition the record should be edited or else the record should be written as it is to a if the seventh field is 'XX' and if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acharania2011
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of occurences of a character in a field defined by the character in another field

Hello, I have a text file with n lines in the following format (9 column fields): Example: contig00012 149606 G C 49 68 60 18 c$cccccacccccccccc^c I need to count the number of lower-case and upper-case occurences in column 9, respectively, of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: s052866
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

edit field using sed or awk

please help me to edit the second field using awk or sed i have input file below aa1001 000001 bb1002 000002 cc1003 000003 so i want the output file like below aa1001 01 bb1002 02 cc1003 03 (38 Replies)
Discussion started by: zulabc
38 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of files and use result as variable

Hi there I have a .ksh script that I am using on an AIX ( Actual Level 5.3.10.0, Maintenance Level 5.3.0.0) where I am logging into a windows box, doing a file count on that server and returning the output to the UNIX session. I would like to exit the script at this point in time if the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count Fields with Quoted Field

Hi, I used to count number of fields using following command head -1 <filename> | awk -F"," '{print NF}' Now the scenario is the delimiter(comma) occurs inside one of the data field. How to ignore the comma inside data and consider only delimiter and count number of fields. The fields are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ethanr100
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED/AWK to edit/add field values in a record

Hi Experts, I am new to shell scripting. Need some help in doing one task given by the customer. The sample record in a file is as follows: 3538,,,,,,ID,ID1,,,,,,,,,,, It needs to be the following: 3538,,353800,353800,,,ID,ID1,,,,,COLX,,,,,COLY, And i want to modify this record in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sugarcane
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files Field by field and output the result in another file

Hi Friends, Need Help. I have file1.txt as File1.txt |123|A|7267|Hyder|Cross|Sell|7801 |995|A|7051|2008|Lunar|New|Year|Promotion|7801 |996|A|7022|Q108|Targ|Prospect|&|SSCC|Savings|Promo|7801 |997|A|7182|Q1|Feb-Apr|08|Credit|ITA|PA|SBA|Campaign|7801 File2.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count & Result

Hi All. I'm trying to count with command cat Count.log |sort -t 1 | uniq -c Input File. Back-end Invalid Id Password Back-end Invalid Id Password Success Success Success Back-end Invalid Id Password Back-end User state is invalid Back-end User state is invalid Success... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use bash command on awk field and output the result

Hello, I want to run a field from an awk command through a command in bash. For example my input file is 1,2,3 20,30,40 60,70,80 I want tot run $2 thought the command date +%d/%m/%y -d"01/01/15 + $2 days -1 day" and get the output 1,02/01/15,3 20,30/01/15,40 60,11/03/15,80 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: garethsays
2 Replies
Template::Plugin::Directory(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Template::Plugin::Directory(3pm)

NAME
Template::Plugin::Directory - Plugin for generating directory listings SYNOPSIS
[% USE dir = Directory(dirpath) %] # files returns list of regular files [% FOREACH file = dir.files %] [% file.name %] [% file.path %] ... [% END %] # dirs returns list of sub-directories [% FOREACH subdir = dir.dirs %] [% subdir.name %] [% subdir.path %] ... [% END %] # list returns both interleaved in order [% FOREACH item = dir.list %] [% IF item.isdir %] Directory: [% item.name %] [% ELSE %] File: [% item.name %] [% END %] [% END %] # define a VIEW to display dirs/files [% VIEW myview %] [% BLOCK file %] File: [% item.name %] [% END %] [% BLOCK directory %] Directory: [% item.name %] [% item.content(myview) | indent -%] [% END %] [% END %] # display directory content using view [% myview.print(dir) %] DESCRIPTION
This Template Toolkit plugin provides a simple interface to directory listings. It is derived from the Template::Plugin::File module and uses Template::Plugin::File object instances to represent files within a directory. Sub-directories within a directory are represented by further "Template::Plugin::Directory" instances. The constructor expects a directory name as an argument. [% USE dir = Directory('/tmp') %] It then provides access to the files and sub-directories contained within the directory. # regular files (not directories) [% FOREACH file IN dir.files %] [% file.name %] [% END %] # directories only [% FOREACH file IN dir.dirs %] [% file.name %] [% END %] # files and/or directories [% FOREACH file IN dir.list %] [% file.name %] ([% file.isdir ? 'directory' : 'file' %]) [% END %] The plugin constructor will throw a "Directory" error if the specified path does not exist, is not a directory or fails to "stat()" (see Template::Plugin::File). Otherwise, it will scan the directory and create lists named '"files"' containing files, '"dirs"' containing directories and '"list"' containing both files and directories combined. The "nostat" option can be set to disable all file/directory checks and directory scanning. Each file in the directory will be represented by a Template::Plugin::File object instance, and each directory by another "Template::Plugin::Directory". If the "recurse" flag is set, then those directories will contain further nested entries, and so on. With the "recurse" flag unset, as it is by default, then each is just a place marker for the directory and does not contain any further content unless its "scan()" method is explicitly called. The "isdir" flag can be tested against files and/or directories, returning true if the item is a directory or false if it is a regular file. [% FOREACH file = dir.list %] [% IF file.isdir %] * Directory: [% file.name %] [% ELSE %] * File: [% file.name %] [% END %] [% END %] This example shows how you might walk down a directory tree, displaying content as you go. With the recurse flag disabled, as is the default, we need to explicitly call the "scan()" method on each directory, to force it to lookup files and further sub-directories contained within. [% USE dir = Directory(dirpath) %] * [% dir.path %] [% INCLUDE showdir %] [% BLOCK showdir -%] [% FOREACH file = dir.list -%] [% IF file.isdir -%] * [% file.name %] [% file.scan -%] [% INCLUDE showdir dir=file FILTER indent(4) -%] [% ELSE -%] - [% f.name %] [% END -%] [% END -%] [% END %] This example is adapted (with some re-formatting for clarity) from a test in t/directry.t which produces the following output: * test/dir - file1 - file2 * sub_one - bar - foo * sub_two - waz.html - wiz.html - xyzfile The "recurse" flag can be set (disabled by default) to cause the constructor to automatically recurse down into all sub-directories, creating a new "Template::Plugin::Directory" object for each one and filling it with any further content. In this case there is no need to explicitly call the "scan()" method. [% USE dir = Directory(dirpath, recurse=1) %] ... [% IF file.isdir -%] * [% file.name %] [% INCLUDE showdir dir=file FILTER indent(4) -%] [% ELSE -%] ... The directory plugin also provides support for views. A view can be defined as a "VIEW ... END" block and should contain "BLOCK" definitions for files ('"file"') and directories ('"directory"'). [% VIEW myview %] [% BLOCK file %] - [% item.name %] [% END %] [% BLOCK directory %] * [% item.name %] [% item.content(myview) FILTER indent %] [% END %] [% END %] The view "print()" method can then be called, passing the "Directory" object as an argument. [% USE dir = Directory(dirpath, recurse=1) %] [% myview.print(dir) %] When a directory is presented to a view, either as "[% myview.print(dir) %]" or "[% dir.present(view) %]", then the "directory" "BLOCK" within the "myview" "VIEW" is processed. The "item" variable will be set to alias the "Directory" object. [% BLOCK directory %] * [% item.name %] [% item.content(myview) FILTER indent %] [% END %] In this example, the directory name is first printed and the content(view) method is then called to present each item within the directory to the view. Further directories will be mapped to the "directory" block, and files will be mapped to the "file" block. With the recurse option disabled, as it is by default, the "directory" block should explicitly call a "scan()" on each directory. [% VIEW myview %] [% BLOCK file %] - [% item.name %] [% END %] [% BLOCK directory %] * [% item.name %] [% item.scan %] [% item.content(myview) FILTER indent %] [% END %] [% END %] [% USE dir = Directory(dirpath) %] [% myview.print(dir) %] AUTHORS
Michael Stevens wrote the original Directory plugin on which this is based. Andy Wardley split it into separate File and Directory plugins, added some extra code and documentation for "VIEW" support, and made a few other minor tweaks. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000-2007 Michael Stevens, Andy Wardley. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
Template::Plugin, Template::Plugin::File, Template::View perl v5.14.2 2011-12-20 Template::Plugin::Directory(3pm)