Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Create a script for grep
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Create a script for grep Post 302314682 by devtakh on Saturday 9th of May 2009 11:40:18 AM
Old 05-09-2009
Try this:

Code:
sort -k 1,1 file| awk '{s=substr($1,4,length($1));print $0 > "f"s}'

cheers,
Devaraj Takhellambam

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

create a shell script that calls another script and and an awk script

Hi guys I have a shell script that executes sql statemets and sends the output to a file.the script takes in parameters executes sql and sends the result to an output file. #!/bin/sh echo " $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 isql -w400 -U$2 -S$5 -P$3 << xxx use $4 go print"**Changes to the table... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: magikminox
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using todays date to create a report using grep

What i'm trying to do is to use grep to search through a few files for a selected daemon and only report on today's date. I think I got it sorted apart from in the txt file the date has 2 gaps between the month and the day, and the way I have the date format only puts in one gap any help to get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MBN
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create a script

How to I put my find command string into a script. It is currently to long to be entered manually at command line. for FNAME in `find /unixsxxx/interface/x.x/xxxxxx -type f \( -name '*.KSH' -o -name '*.sh' -o -name '*.sql' -o -name '*.ksh' \) -exec grep -il xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx {} \;`; do C=`grep -c... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TimHortons
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: create a report with grep output?

Greetings. I need to generate a simple report via Bash (Korn?) with this raw data Test_Version=V2.5.2 Test_Version=V2.6.3 Test_Version=V2.4.7 Test_Version=V2.5.2 Test_Version=V2.5.2 Test_Version=V2.5.1 Test_Version=V2.5.0 Test_Version=V2.3.9 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script use min resource ( grep grep)

Hi i wrote script use it as watchdog ( i mean it check another program (pooya) whenever that was killed (closed or crashed) it run another script (pooya_start.sh) to start it, this script work fine and do the job for me , i need help of an expert to tell me (exact command) how to change this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pooyair
8 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create script to add user and create directory

first off let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and I am new to linux, I am taking an advanced linux administration class and we are tasked with creating a script to add new users that anyone can run, has to check for the existence of a directory. if the directory does not exist then it has... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbhound
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Direction to create website to process grep and SED requests

hi I am seeking to create a cgi-bin type creation that will allow users browsing the site to be able to run searches that would be a grep command or SED in the backround. I am not sure how to go about this, if you would give me a pointer or direction about what technology i could inform myself... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdc01
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Create dynamic ksh script from a script

I am currently running 2 scripts to gather data for a 3rd script and would like to combine the 2 scripts into one. Having issues with the final output format. Note cannot post URL so replaced the http stuff with (name) in the examples All scripts contain #!/bin/ksh OS = Red Hat Enterprise... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcpinkerton
0 Replies

9. Programming

CGI Perl script to execute bash script- unable to create folder

Hi I have a bash script which takes parameters sh /tmp/gdg.sh -b BASE-NAME -n 1 -s /source/data -p /dest/data/archive -m ARC gdg.sh will scan the /source/data and will move the contents to /dest/data/archive after passing through some filters. Its working superb from bash I have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to create runtime variables based on the number of parameters passed in the script

Hi All, I have a script which intends to create as many variables at runtime, as the number of parameters passed to it. The script needs to save these parameter values in the variables created and print them abc.sh ---------- export Numbr_Parms=$# export a=1 while do export... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)