Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Transfer files from one location to another location Post 302312904 by pludi on Monday 4th of May 2009 03:57:17 AM
Old 05-04-2009
You could use scp, or FTP, or rsync, or UUCP, or NFS, or CIFS/SMB, or Burn to CD/DVD and snail-mail it. Unless you're more specific about what you have and what you need, that's all I can suggest.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copy files from one location to similar location

I need help in forming a script to copy files from one location which has a sub directory structure to another location with similar sub directory structure, say location 1, /home/rick/tmp_files/1-12/00-25/ here 1-12 are the number of sub directories under tmp_files and 00-25 are sub... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pharos467
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put one string from one location to another location in a file

Hi Everyone, I have 1.txt here a b c' funny"yes"; d e The finally output is: here a b c d e' funny"yes"; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for Copy files from one location to another location

Create a script that copies files from one specified directory to another specified directory, in the order they were created in the original directory between specified times. Copy the files at a specified interval. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: allways4u21
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on Moving files from one location to another location

Hi, I am new to unix and shell scripting. Please help me in resolving the below issue. In my shell script I have a variable which stores the different files with the path. Now I need to move all the files one by one to another location. ---- 1.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpagadala
4 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Central Location for all ssh Keys and Settings Unattended Secure File Transfer

I am developing an application that submits command line file transfers using ssh (Sun to Sun) and Tectia ssh (Sun to Windows Server) embedded in the code. Potentially many different trusted people will start the programs. Is there a way to have all the settings and keys localized so that there is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: PowersThatB
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File created in a different location instead of desired location on using crontab

Hi, I am logging to a linux server through a user "user1" in /home directory. There is a script in a directory in 'root' for which all permissions are available including the directory. This script when executed creates a file in the directory. When the script is added to crontab, on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: archana.n
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy a file from one location to another location?

I have file file1.txt in location 'loc1'. Now i want a copy of this file in location 'loc2' with a new file called test.txt. Please help me how to do this in shell script. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a existing file location and directory location in Solaris box?

Hi This is my third past and very impressed with previous post replies Hoping the same for below query How to find a existing file location and directory location in solaris box (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buzzme
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with copying the list of files from one location to other location

A) I would like to achive following actions using shell script. can someone help me with writing the shell script 1) Go to some dir ( say /xyz/logs ) and then perform find operation in this dir and list of subdir using find . -name "*" -print | xargs grep -li 1367A49001CP0162 >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GG2
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File transfer from UNIX to shared location using shell script

Is there any possible way transfering the file from unix to shared location using shell script. i had created the batch script to fetch the files from unix to shared location and it works fine. Due to some problem in windows unable to transfer the file to shared location automatically. can anyone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat918
2 Replies
MAKEDEV(8)						      System Manager's Manual							MAKEDEV(8)

NAME
MAKEDEV - makes system special files SYNOPSIS
/dev/MAKEDEV [argument] [device-name?...] DESCRIPTION
The MAKEDEV shell script is normally used to install special files. It resides in the /dev directory, the normal location of special files. Arguments to MAKEDEV are usually of the form device-name? where device-name is one of the supported devices listed in Section 7 of the Reference Pages and ? is a logical unit number. The argument operand is one of the following special arguments that create assorted col- lections of devices: Creates all standard device files for all systems. Standard devices for Alpha systems (in the order they are created) are as follows: klog, kcon, kbinlog, kmem, mem, null, vmzcore, console, ws0, mouse0, keyboard0, tty, pty0, pty1, ptmx, cam, audit, prf, pfcntr, zero, snmpinfo, lockdev, and sysdev0. Creates a set of 16 LAT device special files, one for each LAT terminal device. The n specifies the set option. The set option range is 0 to 38. Specifying lat38 creates 12 LAT device special files. Creates groups of pseudoterminal device special files, as follows: Cre- ates pty0 to pty22. Creates pty23 to pty45. Creates pty46 to pty56. Creates pty57 to pty64. Creates pty65 to pty72. Creates pty73 to pty80. Creates pty81 to pty88. Creates pty89 to pty96. Creates pty97 to pty101. The # specifies the group of pseudoterminal device special files created. Creates a group of packet filter device special files, as follows: Creates pfilt0 to pfilt63. Creates pfilt0 to pfilt63. Creates pfilt0 to pfilt127. Creates pfilt0 to pfilt255. Creates pfilt0 to pfilt511. Creates pfilt0 to pfilt1023. Creates pfilt0 to pfilt2047. Creates pfilt0 to pfilt3071. Creates pfilt0 to pfilt4095. The # specifies the number of ppacket filter device special files created. Creates those devices specific to the local site. This request causes the shell file /dev/MAKEDEV.local to be executed. This file must exist prior to using the local argument. Site spe- cific commands, such as those used to setup dialup lines as ttyd? and to create device special files for all non-Compaq devices, should be included in this file. Because all devices are created using mknod(8) this shell script is useful only to the superuser. NOTES
The MAKEDEV script installs files in the current working directory. Although device special files can be located anywhere on the system, they are usually created in the /dev directory, since this is where most applications expect to find them. Refer to the dsfmgr(8) reference page for information on the Device Special File Manager program. ERRORS
Either self-explanatory, or generated by one of the programs called from the script. Use sh -x MAKEDEV in case of trouble. SEE ALSO
Commands: config(8), dsfmgr(8), mknod(8) Interfaces: intro(7), packetfilter(7), pty(7) MAKEDEV(8)