Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX substringing non field non seperated text Post 302311802 by Browser_ice on Wednesday 29th of April 2009 03:03:37 PM
Old 04-29-2009
substringing non field non seperated text

In optimizing and bulletproofing the scripts running on my client's AIX 4.2 (Korn shell), I will need a way to examine and/or extract informations from non field non seperated text to be used for several purposes.

How could I do the same for these situations :

ex-1:

"00000"+"1" => "00001" (5 last char)
"00000" +"12" => "00012" (5 last char)

ex-2:
"aaaaa12345aaaaa@ => "12345" (extract that part where position is known)
"aaaaa12345aaaaa@ => "12345" (extract that part where position is unknown)

ex-3:
multi-line rec (variable format + possible spaces at beginning of line)
adfadasdf(aaaa),adkalsd,
klajdf,hklajhklajh(akdjakjflkajmakfaklj),
ifuioioa(usdoiau(akljsdlkajdh),alkdjfhkajsdh)

into
adfadasdf(aaaa),adkalsd,klajdf,hklajhklajh(akdjakjflkajmakfaklj),ifuioioa(usdoiau(akljsdlkajdh),alkd jfhkajsdh)

multi-line record contains any combinations/amount of fields and any combination/amount of separators.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank lines from comma seperated and space seperated file.

Hi, I want to remove empty/blank lines from comma seperated and space seperated files Thanks all for help (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
11 Replies

2. Web Development

Dynamic text field

Hi I have a webpage where I have a dropdown box and depending on the selection I would like to populate a text field . Preferably with JavaScript (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bombcan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, comma as field separator and text inside double quotes as a field.

Hi, all I need to get fields in a line that are separated by commas, some of the fields are enclosed with double quotes, and they are supposed to be treated as a single field even if there are commas inside the quotes. sample input: for this line, 5 fields are supposed to be extracted, they... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert comma seperated file to line seperated.

Hi, I have data like this. 1,2,3,4 Output required: 1 2 3 4 I am trying to use tr function but getting error. Help is appreciated. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Search text string in field, not all in field.

Hello, I am using awk to match text in a tab separated field and am able to do so when matching the exact word. My problem is that I would like to match any sequence of text in the tab-separated field without having to match it all. Any help will be appreciated. Please see the code below. awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocket_dog
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help removing leading spaces from one field in comma seperated file

Using awk or sed, I'd like to remove leading spaces after a comma and before a right justified number in field 6. Sounds simple but I can't find a solution. Each field's formatting must stay intact. Input: 40,123456-02,160,05/24/2012,02/13/1977, 10699.15,0 Output:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting some text if a field in the last column changes

Hi, I have a file which looks like this: A 01 00 B 02 00 C 04 00 D 00 01 E 01 01 F 02 01 G 01 04 H 02 04 I want to insert some text if the field if the last column changes. It should look like this: Value 00 A 01 00 B 02 00 C 04 00 Value 01 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wenclu
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read text between regexps and write into files based on a field in the text

Hi, I have a huge file that has data something like shown below: huge_file.txt start regexp Name=Name1 Title=Analyst Address=Address1 Department=Finance end regexp some text some text start regexp Name=Name2 Title=Controller Address=Address2 Department=Finance end regexp (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: r3d3
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to parse field and include the text of 1 pipe in field 4

I am trying to parse the input in awk to include the |gc= in $4 but am not able to. The below is close: awk so far: awk '{sub(/\|]+]++/, ""); print }' input.txt Input chr1 955543 955763 AGRN-6|pr=2|gc=75 0 + chr1 957571 957852 AGRN-7|pr=3|gc=61.2 0 + chr1 970621 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Seperated a Column from 'ESC' Character seperated file

Hi Experts I have an escape seperated fields in the unix file. And in the below format file I need to extract the first column. Please help its urgent. cat -v op.dat | head 24397028^ I want to extract the file in below format ( with only first column ) 24397028 2439707 thanks. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: neha_suri06
6 Replies
tracker-extract(1)						   User Commands						tracker-extract(1)

NAME
tracker-extract - Extract metadata from a file. SYNOPSYS
tracker-extract [OPTION...] FILE... DESCRIPTION
tracker-extract reads the file and mimetype provided in stdin and extract the metadata from this file; then it displays the metadata on the standard output. NOTE: If a FILE is not provided then tracker-extract will run for 30 seconds waiting for DBus calls before quitting. OPTIONS
-?, --help Show summary of options. -v, --verbosity=N Set verbosity to N. This overrides the config value. Values include 0=errors, 1=minimal, 2=detailed and 3=debug. -f, --file=FILE The FILE to extract metadata from. The FILE argument can be either a local path or a URI. It also does not have to be an absolute path. -m, --mime=MIME The MIME type to use for the file. If one is not provided, it will be guessed automatically. -d, --disable-shutdown Disable shutting down after 30 seconds of inactivity. -i, --force-internal-extractors Use this option to force internal extractors over 3rd parties like libstreamanalyzer. -m, --force-module=MODULE Force a particular module to be used. This is here as a convenience for developers wanting to test their MODULE file. Only the MOD- ULE name has to be specified, not the full path. Typically, a MODULE is installed to /usr/lib/tracker-0.7/extract-modules/. This option can be used with or without the .so part of the name too, for example, you can use --force-module=foo Modules are shared objects which are dynamically loaded at run time. These files must have the .so suffix to be loaded and must con- tain the correct symbols to be authenticated by tracker-extract. For more information see the libtracker-extract reference documen- tation. -V, --version Show binary version. EXAMPLES
Using command line to extract metadata from a file: $ tracker-extract -v 3 -f /path/to/some/file.mp3 Using a specific module to extract metadata from a file: $ tracker-extract -v 3 -f /path/to/some/file.mp3 -m mymodule ENVIRONMENT
TRACKER_EXTRACTORS_DIR This is the directory which tracker uses to load the shared libraries from (used for extracting metadata for specific file types). These are needed on each invocation of tracker-store. If unset it will default to the correct place. This is used mainly for testing purposes. The default location is /usr/lib/tracker-0.10/extract-modules/. TRACKER_EXTRACTOR_RULES_DIR This is the directory which tracker uses to load the rules files from. The rules files describe extractor modules and their sup- ported MIME types. The default location is /usr/share/tracker/extract-rules/. TRACKER_USE_CONFIG_FILES Don't use GSettings, instead use a config file similar to how settings were saved in 0.10.x. That is, a file which is much like an .ini file. These are saved to $HOME/.config/tracker/ SEE ALSO
tracker-store(1), tracker-sparql(1), tracker-stats(1), tracker-info(1). /usr/lib/tracker-0.10/extract-modules/ /usr/share/tracker/extract-rules/ GNU
July 2007 tracker-extract(1)