Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting From csh script, how to know if logged in as root? Post 302308536 by newbie09 on Sunday 19th of April 2009 06:03:05 AM
Old 04-19-2009
From csh script, how to know if logged in as root?

I know that when I'm logged in as root in (Solaris or Linux), I would get the # sign at the terminal screen.

But from a csh script, how do I know if I'm running that script logged in as root or not?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run non-root script as root with non-root environment

All, I want to run a non-root script as the root user with non-root environment variables with crontab. The non-root user would have environment variables for database access such as Oracle or Sybase. The root user does not have the Oracle or Sybase enviroment variables. I thought you could do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script on user who logged in????

writing a script that will check every 5 seconds whether a particular user has logged into the system # Determine if someone is logged on # Version 4.0 if then echo “ Incorrect number of arguments” echo “Usage: $ ison4 <user>” else user=“$1” if who | grep “$user” > /dev/null then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kim187
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh failing to call an 2 embedded csh script

I have an extraordinary problem with a csh script.....(feel free to berate the use of this but I'm modifying an existing bunch of them) Anyway, I have a master csh script which in turn calls a second csh script. This second csh script is below. Within this second script are two compiled C++... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pollsizer
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check users logged out

Hi, Here is the script that I have written to check if a particular user is has logged out, and if yes, then a mail needs to be sent to the management the details of whatever has been captured by the script command. echo "The current users are:" who | awk '{print $1}' | sort > temp1 cp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

number of users logged in script

My admin needs a shell script in Korn that will show conditions based on users logged in. I have never used the Korn shell and have no clue what I am doing, can anyone help. here are the conditions that need to be returned. if users are below 5 displays should be: performance is high if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vthokiefan
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get current logged in user from a script run as root.

Ok, so, in order to install some dependencies of a program I made, a script has to be run as root. The thing is that I have to copy some things into the home folder of currently logged in user, but the variable $HOME returns '/root' and the $USER returns 'root' :( Is there any way to see who is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need to see what ther Root users are doing while logged in to terminal

I have a server that i need to monitor what the .bash_history file for the root user already logged in to the server I am logged in as root and have another person logged on as root and i want to monitor what they are doing: root ? :0 2010-10-19 11:54 root + pts/1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: calicowboy54
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to see actual username who logged in as root with sudo

Hi, Thanks for looking at this. I would like to know who is actually logged in as sudo root ? ex: i have many users given sudo rights as root, and all of they are making changes as root and it is difficult for me to know who did what ,a s it shows as rot only. Is there any way to find or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramanaraoeee
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to run a bash script that logs on as a non-root user and runs script as root

So I have a script that runs as a non-root user, lets say the username is 'xymon' . This script needs to log on to a remote system as a non-root user also and call up a bash script that runs another bash script as root. in short: user xymon on system A needs to run a file as root user and have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: damang111
2 Replies
nisserver(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     nisserver(1M)

NAME
nisserver - set up NIS+ servers SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/nis/nisserver -r [-x] [-f] [-v] [-Y] [-d NIS+_domain] [-g NIS+_groupname] [-l network_passwd] /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -M [-x] [-f] [-v] [-Y] -d NIS+_domain [-g NIS+_groupname] [-h NIS+_server_host] /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -R [-x] [-f] [-v] [-Y] [-d NIS+_domain] [-h NIS+_server_host] DESCRIPTION
The nisserver shell script can be used to set up a root master, non-root master, and replica NIS+ server with level 2 security (DES). If other authentication mechanisms are configured with nisauthconf(1M), nisserver will set up a NIS+ server using those mechanisms. nisauth- conf(1M) should be used before nisserver. When setting up a new domain, this script creates the NIS+ directories (including groups_dir and org_dir) and system table objects for the domain specified. It does not populate the tables. nispopulate(1M) must be used to populate the tables. OPTIONS
-d NIS+_domain Specifies the name for the NIS+ domain. The default is your local domain. -f Forces the NIS+ server setup without prompting for confirmation. -g NIS+_groupname Specifies the NIS+ group name for the new domain. This option is not valid with -R option. The default group is admin.<domain>. -h NIS+_server_host Specifies the hostname for the NIS+ server. It must be a valid host in the local domain. Use a fully qualified host- name (for example, hostx.xyz.sun.com.) to specify a host outside of your local domain. This option is only used for setting up non-root master or replica servers. The default for non-root master server setup is to use the same list of servers as the parent domain. The default for replica server setup is the local hostname. -l network_password Specifies the network password with which to create the credentials for the root master server. This option is only used for master root server setup (-r option). If this option is not specified, the script prompts you for the login password. -M Sets up the specified host as a master server. Make sure that rpc.nisd(1M) is running on the new master server before this command is executed. -R Sets up the specified host as a replica server. Make sure that rpc.nisd is running on the new replica server. -r Sets up the server as a root master server. Use the -R option to set up a root replica server. -v Runs the script in verbose mode. -x Turns the echo mode on. The script just prints the commands that it would have executed. Note that the commands are not actually executed. The default is off. -Y Sets up a NIS+ server with NIS-compatibility mode. The default is to set up the server without NIS-compatibility mode. USAGE
Use the first synopsis of the command (-r) to set up a root master server. To run the command, you must be logged in as super-user on the server machine. Use the second synopsis of the command (-M) to set up a non-root master server for the specified domain. To run the command, you must be logged in as a NIS+ principal on a NIS+ machine and have write permission to the parent directory of the domain that you are setting up. The new non-root master server machine must already be an NIS+ client (see nisclient(1M)) and have the rpc.nisd(1M) daemon running. Use the third synopsis of the command (-R) to set up a replica server for both root and non-root domains. To run the command, you must be logged in as a NIS+ principal on a NIS+ machine and have write permission to the parent directory of the domain that you are replicating. The new non-root replica server machine must already be an NIS+ client and have the rpc.nisd daemon running. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Setting up Servers To set up a root master server for domain sun.com.: root_server# /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -r -d sun.com. For the following examples make sure that the new servers are NIS+ clients and that rpc.nisd is running on these hosts before executing nisserver. To set up a replica server for the sun.com. domain on host sunreplica: root_server# /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -R -d sun.com. -h sunrep To set up a non-root master server for domain xyz.sun.com. on host sunxyz with the NIS+ groupname as admin-mgr.xyz.sun.com.: root_server# /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -M -d xyz.sun.com. -h sunxyz -g admin-mgr.xyz.sun.com. To set up a non-root replica server for domain xyz.sun.com. on host sunabc: sunxyz# /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -R -d xyz.sun.com. -h sunabc ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
NIS+(1), nisgrpadm(1), nismkdir(1), nisaddcred(1M), nisauthconf(1M), nisclient(1M), nisinit(1M), nispopulate(1M), nisprefadm(1M), nis- setup(1M), rpc.nisd(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the Solaris Operating system. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the current Solaris release. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.11 13 Dec 2001 nisserver(1M)