Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tape drive problems
Operating Systems Solaris Tape drive problems Post 302308450 by rahmantanko on Saturday 18th of April 2009 11:03:55 AM
Old 04-18-2009
Tape drive problems

Recently we had a problem with a CPU card on our SunFire V880 which has Solaris 9 OS. we removed the card and there was also a problem with our usr which was accidentally deleted. We able to restore the usr but now we having a problem with our tape drive.
Previously we could write to the with
tar cvf /dev/rmt/0n
and could even issue commands like
mt rewind
mt -f /dev/rmt/0n fsf 2
Now when we issuue those command we get messages like
/dev/rmt/0n: no such file or directory

A look at the /dev/rmt/0n reveals that files which previously were similar to 0 0n 0cb 0n ......
are now been changed to 2 2n 2cb 2n.....
and we can only tar with /dev/rmt/2n and cannot issue the mt command.
What's gone gone wrong and how can get back our mt command working together with the /dev/rmt/0n option.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tape drive

Hi, I need to restore my tape backup, when I type "tape status" it gives; status : ready beginning-of-tape write-protected soft errors : 0 hard errors : 0 underruns : 3 but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisevA3
4 Replies

2. AIX

Tape Drive

I have tape drive in one Lpar. when i saw that time tape is in defined state. After that i deleted the tape drive using the rmdev -R command. Then fired the cfgmgr -v command. But I am not getting the tape drive. Now the drive is even not in defined state also. It is not shown the tape drive. How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with SCSI card and tape drive

Currenty running SCO Openserver 6 at a Dell PowerEdge T300. I recently installed a driver for an Adaptec SCSI card (adpu320). When I connect a tape drive to it and re-start the system,it freezes and displays the following message: "WARNING: adpu320: Command timed out (ha= 4)" and the system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RicardoM
2 Replies

4. SCO

Problems Detecting HP Tape Drive

I am trying to install an HP StorageWorks DAT40 Tape drive at SC0 5.0.7. The tape drive is not functional. When I run #sconf -v this is what I get; Sdsk ad160 0 0 0 0 Sdsk ad160 0 0 1 0 Stp ad160 0 0 3 0 But when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RicardoM
2 Replies

5. AIX

Tape drive defined

Hello everyone I have a problem with one of my drives in an aix box. The library is a 3583 and Aix is 5.3 TL9 The problem was that the fibre channel not work and I change the fibre but when I logging to the aix box I got this in the rmt3 lsdev | grep rmt rmt0 Available 03-08-00-6,0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Help with tape drive

Hey folks, Linux admin here, forced to use Opensolaris to try to use ufsdump/ufsrestore to get some data of some old tapes. I've got Opensolaris 2009.06 on x86 and a Sony SDX-700V. As a "control" experiment, I booted the system with a Linux live CD and the tape drive worked perfectly. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eddy_sysad
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

TAPE drive

I have used ioscan -fnC tape and the system identified the tape drive. what is the command to show a listing of what is on the tape? I have used ls /dev/rmt/rmt0 to no avail. can anyone help? Thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Randydog
10 Replies

8. SCO

Mounting Tape Drive

Sorry I posted it in wrong forum first. OK, I'm new to Unix (but an IT since DOS 6.2 era) Long story short I'm trying to help a friend who has failing Unix system which is perhaps 16 years old with SCO Openserver 3.4v4.2 with DDS90 Tape where they backup their data. I've setup a Dell Precision... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunail
9 Replies
CARD(1)                                                                 FSF                                                                CARD(1)

NAME
card - print reference card of program options SYNOPSIS
card [OPTION]... PROGRAM... DESCRIPTION
Print a reference card of the PROGRAMs thanks to their inline help. OPTIONS
-h, --help display this help and exit -v, --version display version information and exit -o, --output=FILE save the output in FILE -l, --language=LL print the help in the language LL (default: English) --command=CMD perform pretty-printing on the output of CMD (e.g. --command='netscape -help') Options for a2ps are given after `--', for instance $ card -lfr a2ps -- -Pdisplay -4 News, updates and documentation: http://www.inf.enst.fr/~demaille/a2ps/ AUTHOR
Written by Akim Demaille. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-a2ps@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1997-99 Akim Demaille, Miguel Santana This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
a2ps(1), card(1), fixps(1), pdiff(1), psset(1), texi2dvi4a2ps(1). The full documentation for card is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and card programs are properly installed at your site, the command info card should give you access to the complete manual. card 1.3 (GNU a2ps 4.14) March 2014 CARD(1)