Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: selective masquerading
Special Forums IP Networking selective masquerading Post 302304307 by NESter on Monday 6th of April 2009 05:14:59 AM
Old 04-06-2009
UPDATE: I was able to get the selective masquerading to "work"... sort of.

The problem is if I don't have a default route for ppp0 then the 192.168.1.0/24 network can't reach anywhere. I add the default gw for ppp0 and then 192.168.0.0/24 can't reach anywhere.

What I don't understand at all though... if I have both default routes in, the linux server uses eth1 as its default, as evidenced by my source IP when I log in to internet sites. The vpn client machine (192.168.1.13) goes out over the VPN (ppp0) interface as expected. But my other lan clients (192.168.0.2 for example) can't get out to the internet if I try to masq over eth1 (but can f I switch it to masq over ppp0). What gives here? Both routes clearly work since the linux machine gets out over the ISP connection, so why can't it masquerade the ISP connection now, only the VPN?

My problem before was that I had the iptables service (under fedora) running, which seemed to not allow me to delete the original MASQUERADE directive to forward all traffic (regardless of source) via eth1. Now with my tables loaded manually the based-on-source part seems to work, just only with one internet connection (ISP or VPN) as its destination at a time. My hair's falling out here. This makes even less sense than the last situation did.

The masquerade will only work over whichever is the last default route added, even though linux seems to be smart enough to route through eth1 by default for its own local traffic despite the existence of the second "default" route.

Last edited by NESter; 04-06-2009 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: update

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

IP Masquerading

Hello I am trying to setup a nework using IP Masquerading. I followed the instructions/ steps as follows: 1. Appropriated a multi-homed box 2. I have installed Redhat Linux 8.0 on it (base install) 3. INetwork settings eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth1 a static IP my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail Masquerading

Hi, I'm trying to get my mails sent from the address user@domain instead of user@hostname.domain. Should be simple masquerading configuration in sendmail config files, but this is where I fall (newbie). The sendmail.cf is not recommended for editing. There should be some kind of .mc file that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shimpanzo
0 Replies

3. Linux

postfix configuration issues...specifically masquerading (lack of )

postfix configuration issues...specifically masquerading (lack of ) Mail sent to our intranet arrives correctly (me@domain.com). Mail sent to our intranet arrives correctly (me@domain.com). Anything going outside does not, so my tests get rejected (me@hostname.com) :( any assistance... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
5 Replies

4. SCO

Sendmail masquerading

I am having a problem with my sendmail configuration I have masquerading on but when I send a mail to multiple people it masquerades my email but not the others? see the sample below: From: name@vegena.net Sent: Friday, July 24, 2009 9:42 AM To: name2@atksco1.vegena.net;... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: garycrow
0 Replies

5. IP Networking

howto start with gateway / router / masquerading

Hi there, I have only basic knowledge in Unix but I'm eager to learn. I have a new complex (for me) exercice and I have no idea how to start. I have a regular network on witch I'm trying to plug another network. Here is an image of the physical network.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
7 Replies

6. AIX

Mutt/Sendmail Masquerading Problem on AIX 5.3

We are running Unix AIX 5.3 and I have been asked to masquerade the sender name on our email processing. We have one domain name and many users: user1@domainname user2@domainname user3@domainname We use mutt/sendmail to do our email processing. I discovered that using genericstable within... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FHMARTINS
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending mail as another user (username masquerading)

I have sendmail as the smtp server. I want that all mails sent from user1 actually appears to come from user2(also should be reflected in mail header). How can i accomplish the task by tweaking sendmail or are there any other means to do so? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
4 Replies

8. AIX

sendmail masquerading on AIX.

Hello all, I have a requirement wherein I need to change the "received from" address parameter for outgoing mails from an AIX server. I tried using the option to specify the "reply-to" address, still my relay server rejects the mails as the "received from" address still contains . I know,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with selective ls

Hi all :wall: Can anyone advise how do I use ls to do a selective amd sorted listing of file that I want to have as below? Am looking for files that are named as log_<nnnn>.txt, where <nnnn> are numeric, i.e. I want to have a listing sorted from the newest to the oldest of files that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

10. Red Hat

Sendmail - Masquerading multiple domains with different addresses

Hello Friends, I am running Sendmail 8.14 on rhel6. I have one simple question regarding domain masquerading, i would want to masquerade different domains with different addresses. By that what i mean is that lets say i have 3 domains as home.com, example.com, test.com and i would want to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rohit Bhanot
0 Replies
WIRELESS(7)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       WIRELESS(7)

NAME
wireless - Wireless Tools and Wireless Extensions SYNOPSIS
iwconfig iwpriv -a DESCRIPTION
The Wireless Extensions is an API allowing you manipulate Wireless LAN networking interfaces. It is composed of a variety of tools and configuration files. It is documented in more detail in the Linux Wireless LAN Howto. The Wireless Tools are used to change the configuration of wireless LAN networking interfaces on the fly, to get their current configura- tion, to get statistics and diagnose them. They are described in their own man page, see below for references. Wireless configuration is specific to each Linux distribution. This man page will contain in the future the configuration procedure for a few common distributions. For the time being, check the file DISTRIBUTIONS.txt included with the Wireless Tools package. DEBIAN 3.0 In Debian 3.0 (and later) you can configure wireless LAN networking devices using the network configuration tool ifupdown(8). File : /etc/network/interfaces Form : wireless-<function> <value> wireless-essid Home wireless-mode Ad-Hoc See also : /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wireless-tools /usr/share/doc/wireless-tools/README.Debian SuSE 8.0 SuSE 8.0 (and later) has integrated wireless configuration in their network scripts. Tool : Yast2 File : /etc/sysconfig/network/wireless /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-* Form : WIRELESS_<function>=<value> WIRELESS_ESSID="Home" WIRELESS_MODE=Ad-Hoc See also : man ifup info scpm ORIGINAL PCMCIA SCRIPTS
If you are using the original configuration scripts from the Pcmcia package, you can use this method. File : /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts Form : *,*,*,*) ESSID="Home" MODE="Ad-Hoc" ;; See also : /etc/pcmcia/wireless File PCMCIA.txt part of Wireless Tools package AUTHOR
Jean Tourrilhes - jt@hpl.hp.com http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/ SEE ALSO
iwconfig(8), iwlist(8), iwspy(8), iwpriv(8), iwevent(8). wireless-tools 4 March 2004 WIRELESS(7)