Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: deleted /usr
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers deleted /usr Post 302301660 by methyl on Friday 27th of March 2009 02:40:46 PM
Old 03-27-2009
Suggest you log a call with Sun.
The skeleton unix environment when booted from a release kit is quite versatile.
Sun support once guided me through copying the root partition across the LAN from a clone server.
Others may disagree but I'm not convinced that you can restore a system partition from a tar backup. Unix dump/restore works for me when there is no proprietary backup software.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How do I link ld in /usr/ucb/ to /usr/ccs/bin?

Hi all, below is the problem details: ora10g@CNORACLE1>which ld /usr/ucb/ld ora10g@CNORACLE1>cd /usr/ccs/bin ora10g@CNORACLE1>ln -s /usr/ucb/ld ld ln: cannot create ld: File exists ora10g@CNORACLE1> how to link it to /usr/ccs/bin? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
6 Replies

2. Solaris

Accidentally deleted s. link /usr/lib/secure/s8_preload.so.1

I have accidentally deleted the sim link: /usr/lib/secure/s8_preload.so.1 -> /.SUNWnative/usr/lib/brand/solaris8/s8_preload.so.1 and now I can't do almost anything in my Solaris 8 container. I still have an open session to the machine. I can not create the link again because trying to run:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: qwertysas
1 Replies

3. AIX

Which files can be deleted in /usr in an aix hacmp node?

Hi Can ony one advise which files can be deleted in /usr in an aix hacmp node ? Im new to aix and Im not sure which files can be deleted ? #df -g /usr Filesystem GB blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on /dev/hd2 7.00 1.00 86% 67013 22% /usr ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where do deleted mailboxes go in OS X

Just wondering -- I just deleted one of the mailboxes on my mac, and was wondering where it went. I'd like to do an srm, and thought that it would go to my deleted messages mailbox, but it isn't there (and there were some messages in them.) Can anyone tell me? The mailbox doesn't contain any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accidently deleted /usr contents.

Hi I have the following code which was supposed to clean up a directory when the number of files in that directory exeeded 2.The code is given below. #!/usr/bin/ksh dir_num=`/usr/bin/find /var/.audit -type d | /usr/bin/wc -l` if then oldest_file=`/usr/bin/ls -1t | /usr/bin/tail... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: chacko193
19 Replies

6. Solaris

How to link sed from /usr/bin/sed to /usr/local/bin/sed?

Hi Guys, OS:- Solaris 10 64Bit I have a small query. On one server a user is facing sed command issue. He gets error regarding sed for this location /users/hoy/2999/batch5/bin/internal.sh: /usr/local/bin/sed: not found How ever the sed is actually present at this location on server:-... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
13 Replies

7. BSD

FreeBSD: /usr/bin/ld not looking in /usr/local/lib

I'm not sure if this is the default behavior for the ld command, but it does not seem to be looking in /usr/local/lib for shared libraries. I was trying to compile the latest version of Kanatest from svn. The autorgen.sh script seems to exit without too much trouble: $ ./autogen.sh checking... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntumDeluge
2 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

OSX: ./Users/myname OR. /usr/myname ? 1) what is the truth on UNIX ./usr/ directory.

OSX uses its own directory strecture on the BSD core, for example /Users/Bob_Alice/. but legacy Unix structure /usr/... remains. Adding confustion, some Unix books say /usr/ was never intended for specific users. and others show it being used for Bor or Alice. I am not sure where to put my third... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaelayres
5 Replies
groupdel(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       groupdel(8)

NAME
groupdel - Deletes a group definition from the system SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/groupdel [-P] [-x extended_option] group_name OPTIONS
Creates a PC group only. The following extended_option attributes are available: Indicates whether or not the group is distributed. The value of the distributed=n attribute can be 0 or 1. If set to 0, the group is deleted from the local system. If set to 1, the group is deleted from the NIS master database on the running system. Indicates whether or not the group is local. The value of the local=n attribute can be 0 or 1. If set to 1, the group is deleted from the local database. If set to 0, the group is deleted from the NIS master database. Specifies the name of the group to be deleted from the system. The groupname must exist. DESCRIPTION
The groupdel command lets the system administrator delete existing groups from the system, by group name. In addition, the system adminis- trator can use the -x option to specify whether the group to be deleted is local or whether the group resides in the NIS master database. If the -x option is not specified, the group is deleted from the appropriate database as specified by the system defaults. The default behavior on the system for the groupdel command is distributed=0 and local=1. With these values, the system deletes the group from the local database by default. Setting the distributed= and local= attributes to the same value (for example, distributed=0 and local=0) produces an error. When the Advanced Server for UNIX (ASU) is running, you can also delete PC groups consisting of members who are holders of Windows NT domain accounts. You must have superuser privilege to execute this command. EXIT STATUS
The groupmod command exits with one of the following values: Success. Failure. Warning. EXAMPLES
The following example removes the group, testgrp: % groupdel testgrp The following example removes the group, testgrp, from the local group database: % groupdel -x local=1 testgrp The following example removes the PC users group, domainbdev, from the local group database: % groupdel -P domainbdev FILES
The groupdel command operates on the appropriate files for the specific level of system security. SEE ALSO
Commands: groupadd(8), groupmod(8), useradd(8), userdel(8), usermod(8) System Administration Security groupdel(8)