Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users chmod to parent and sub directories ? Post 302301503 by varungupta on Friday 27th of March 2009 05:15:29 AM
Old 03-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
man chmod
It has a switch for recursive operation

Got it.
Thanks buddy !Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod 777 on all directories below...how do I do that using the "find" command?

I've got 100 directories that each have 2 directories with in them. Structered like this: /home/domains/domain1/ through to /home/domains/domain100/ and those 2 directories mentioned above are here: /home/domains/domain1/directory1/ /home/domains/domain1/directory2/ through to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neko
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

recursive chmod that only affects directories?

The man page for chmod doesn't list a way to recursively change permissions on directories only, without affecting the files themselves. Let's say that I wanted to change the permissions on the current directory and all subdirectories. I know I can write a bash script that would do this using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: retrovertigo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

full path of a file situated either in parent's dir. or parent's parent dir. so on...

hi experts(novice people can stay away as it is no child's game), i am developing a script which works like recycle bin of windows. the problem i am facing is that when ever i am trying to delete a file which is situated in parent directory or parent's parent directory i am unable to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yahoo!
1 Replies

4. Solaris

shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories

Hello root@ne-ocadev-1:/root/scripts>su espos -c find /a35vol100/ESPOS/oracle/db/9.2.0/oradata/ESPOS/archive -type f -atime +10 -exec ls {} shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: Permission denied find: insufficient number of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: babu.knb
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod for files and directories

Hi, OS - Unix, linux (all unix flavors) My requirement. To check directory/file exists and then change the permission of the directories/files. Iam trying to start with directory and here is my code in the file totalchange.sh (insideragain - is a directory, test1.txt - is a file under the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenkanya
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

wget assistance to manage parent directories...

looking for a wget option that does not retrieve entire path from source box... currently working with the following syntax: wget --no-verbose --mirror --no-parent --no-host-directories --page-requisites --ftp-user=mis --ftp-password=secret ftp://192.x.x.x/tmp/test is anyone familiar... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying a files from a filter list and creating their associated parent directories

Hello all, I'm trying to copy all files within a specified directory to another location based on a find filter of mtime -1 (Solaris OS). The issue that I'm having is that in the destination directory, I want to retain the source directory structure while copying over only the files that have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hunter55
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files from several directories into parent

I am fairly new to bash(but am proficient in C++), and have only completed a few simple scripts. This is my first script that I actually need to do a serious task. All of my audiobooks are stored in traditional MP3 format: Music/Artist/Album/*.mp3 (which in this case is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gamendorf
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

parent directories

can anyone explain parent directories in detail. for example /home/unix/jones i'm not understanding what exactly the parent directory is. Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: austing5
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change chmod on files in diff directories

I am looking for a small script to crawl through several directories and change a couple of files in each directory to read write status. Anyone have any ideas ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zapper222
5 Replies
mkdir(1)							   User Commands							  mkdir(1)

NAME
mkdir - make directories SYNOPSIS
mkdir [-m mode] [-p] dir... DESCRIPTION
The mkdir command creates the named directories in mode 777 (possibly altered by the file mode creation mask umask(1)). Standard entries in a directory (for instance, the files ".", for the directory itself, and "..", for its parent) are made automatically. mkdir cannot create these entries by name. Creation of a directory requires write permission in the parent directory. The owner-ID and group-ID of the new directories are set to the process's effective user-ID and group-ID, respectively. mkdir calls the mkdir(2) system call. setgid and mkdir To change the setgid bit on a newly created directory, you must use chmod g+s or chmod g-s after executing mkdir. The setgid bit setting is inherited from the parent directory. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -m mode This option allows users to specify the mode to be used for new directories. Choices for modes can be found in chmod(1). -p With this option, mkdir creates dir by creating all the non-existing parent directories first. The mode given to intermedi- ate directories will be the difference between 777 and the bits set in the file mode creation mask. The difference, how- ever, must be at least 300 (write and execute permission for the user). OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: dir A path name of a directory to be created. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of mkdir when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using mkdir The following example: example% mkdir -p ltr/jd/jan creates the subdirectory structure ltr/jd/jan. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of mkdir: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All the specified directories were created successfully or the -p option was specified and all the specified directories now exist. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
rm(1), sh(1), umask(1), intro(2), mkdir(2), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 mkdir(1)