Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can I use read to read content of a variable Post 302301076 by mjd_tech on Wednesday 25th of March 2009 07:49:24 PM
Old 03-25-2009
Oops, I forgot to quote ALL the vars...

Ksh version:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
IFS="~"
VAR1="1~2~3~4"

echo "$VAR1" | read a b c d
echo "$a $b $c $d"
echo "$a"

# Result
1 2 3 4

Bash / Dash version (no pipe, no brackets)
Code:
#!/bin/sh
IFS="~"
VAR1="1~2~3~4"

read a b c d <<EOF
$(echo "$VAR1")
EOF
echo "$a $b $c $d"
echo "$a"

# Result
1 2 3 4

• The Bash version works in ksh
  • The ksh version does not work in Bash.
This is because Bash creates a subshell for the last process in a pipeline, in this case the read statement.

Thus, the variables a b c d would only be visible to the subshell. I used brackets in the earlier Bash example to group read and echo commands in the same subshell.

In this example, I used a "here document" to feed the read command, instead of a pipe. Thus, the read command does not happen in a subshell, and the a b c d variables are visible to the rest of the script.

Hopefully this makes sense.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cannot read in variable using read on first try

Hi, My problem is : echo Division read vDivision variable1=`cut -c **something****' echo Do you want to proceed ? read ans I cant seem to read in ans on the first try and have to repeatedly enter the return key. If i remove the ` ` statement its ok but i need that line for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: normie
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read the content of the files in unix script

Hi I need help below is my textfile format look like PO Nbr Ln Item Number Description Qty Order Order Date Due Date Status Reply ID Reply Date Reply Qty P304802 1 K0220040 TSX-3225 C 16.367900 MHz 320379 07/01/2008 29/01/2008 REQ OP304802 02/02/2008 190000 P304802 2 K0220040 TSX-3225 C... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thila
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read the content of the particular file from tar.Z without extracting?

Hi All, I want to read the content of the particular file from tar.Z without extracting. aaa.tar.Z contains a file called one.txt, I want to read the content of the one.txt without extracting. Please help me to read the content of it. Regards, Kalai. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read a file and use the content for mapping

help me pls.. :( i want to read a mapping file. Below is the content of my mapping file. 6221,189,SMSC1,OMC1,WAP1 6223,188,SMSC2,OMC2,WAP2 so when my program running msisdn="622130302310" while not EOF if substring($msisdn,1,4) == "6221" -- > "6221" read from the file then echo... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: voidmain
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a file content with awk and sed

Hello , I have huge file with below content. I need to read the numeric values with in the paranthesis after = sign. Please help me with awk and sed script for it. 11.10.2009 04:02:47 Customer login not found: identifier=(0748502889) prefix=(TEL) serviceCode=(). 11.10.2009 04:03:12... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmv
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

read file content

i have one file abhi.txt its contents are home8/mc09ats/UnixCw/backup/file1 home8/mc09ats/file2 i want to read this content of file using while loop.. in this i want to seperate the content as follows path=home8/mc09ats/UnixCw/backup file=file1 echo path echo file can you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AbhijitIT
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read file and only output certain content

Hi - I have a file containing data like :- cn=tommy,cn=users,c=uk passwordexpirydate=20100530130623z cn=jane,cn=users,c=uk passwordexpirydate=20100423140734z cn=michael,cn=users,c=uk passwordexpirydate=20100331020044z I want to end up with a file that looks like:-... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sniper57
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a text file and print the content..

hello all i request you to give the solution for the following problem.. I want read the text file.and print the contents character by character..like if the text file contains google means..i want to print g go goo goog googl google like this Using unix Shell scripting... ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samupnl
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut the variable from the line and use it to find the file and read the content of that file

Hi, I am working on one script..I am having files in the below format file 1 (each line is separated with : delimeter) SPLASH:SPLASH:SVN CIB/MCH:MCH:SVN Now I want from file 1 that most left part of the first line will store in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit22hamirpur
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to read the content of a specific folder

Why does not work a cd in a shell schript file. How do you get to run it? I use these code: #!/bin/sh cd workspace array=($(ls -d */)) echo ${array} But it doesn't change to workspace editby bakunin: please user CODE-tags as required by the rules. Thank you. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linuxmann
12 Replies
DATEFMT_SET_LENIENT(3)							 1						    DATEFMT_SET_LENIENT(3)

IntlDateFormatter::setLenient - Set the leniency of the parser

Object oriented style

SYNOPSIS
public bool IntlDateFormatter::setLenient (bool $lenient) DESCRIPTION
Procedural style bool datefmt_set_lenient (IntlDateFormatter $fmt, bool $lenient) Define if the parser is strict or lenient in interpreting inputs that do not match the pattern exactly. Enabling lenient parsing allows the parser to accept otherwise flawed date or time patterns, parsing as much as possible to obtain a value. Extra space, unrecognized tokens, or invalid values ("February 30th") are not accepted. PARAMETERS
o $fmt - The formatter resource o $lenient - Sets whether the parser is lenient or not, default is TRUE (lenient). RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 datefmt_set_lenient(3) example <?php $fmt = datefmt_create( 'en_US', IntlDateFormatter::FULL, IntlDateFormatter::FULL, 'America/Los_Angeles', IntlDateFormatter::GREGORIAN, 'dd/MM/yyyy' ); echo 'lenient of the formatter is : '; if ($fmt->isLenient()) { echo 'TRUE'; } else { echo 'FALSE'; } datefmt_parse($fmt, '35/13/1971'); echo " Trying to do parse('35/13/1971'). Result is : " . datefmt_parse($fmt, '35/13/1971'); if (intl_get_error_code() != 0) { echo " Error_msg is : " . intl_get_error_message(); echo " Error_code is : " . intl_get_error_code(); } datefmt_set_lenient($fmt, false); echo " Now lenient of the formatter is : "; if ($fmt->isLenient()) { echo 'TRUE'; } else { echo 'FALSE'; } datefmt_parse($fmt, '35/13/1971'); echo " Trying to do parse('35/13/1971'). Result is : " . datefmt_parse($fmt, '35/13/1971'); if (intl_get_error_code() != 0) { echo " Error_msg is : ".intl_get_error_message(); echo " Error_code is : ".intl_get_error_code(); } ?> Example #2 OO example <?php $fmt = new IntlDateFormatter( 'en_US', IntlDateFormatter::FULL, IntlDateFormatter::FULL, 'America/Los_Angeles', IntlDateFormatter::GREGORIAN, 'dd/MM/yyyy' ); echo 'lenient of the formatter is : '; if ($fmt->isLenient()) { echo 'TRUE'; } else { echo 'FALSE'; } $fmt->parse('35/13/1971'); echo " Trying to do parse('35/13/1971'). Result is : " . $fmt->parse('35/13/1971'); if (intl_get_error_code() != 0) { echo " Error_msg is : " . intl_get_error_message(); echo " Error_code is : " . intl_get_error_code(); } $fmt->setLenient(FALSE); echo " Now lenient of the formatter is : "; if ($fmt->isLenient()) { echo 'TRUE'; } else { echo 'FALSE'; } $fmt->parse('35/13/1971'); echo " Trying to do parse('35/13/1971'). Result is : " . $fmt->parse('35/13/1971'); if (intl_get_error_code() != 0) { echo " Error_msg is : " . intl_get_error_message(); echo " Error_code is : " . intl_get_error_code(); } ?> The above example will output: lenient of the formatter is : TRUE Trying to do parse('35/13/1971'). Result is : 66038400 Now lenient of the formatter is : FALSE Trying to do parse('35/13/1971'). Result is : Error_msg is : Date parsing failed: U_PARSE_ERROR Error_code is : 9 SEE ALSO
datefmt_is_lenient(3), datefmt_create(3). PHP Documentation Group DATEFMT_SET_LENIENT(3)