Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Testing targets of link files > ln -s Post 302298285 by sbk1972 on Tuesday 17th of March 2009 07:04:07 AM
Old 03-17-2009
Cheers Tony,

Your a star. That really helped. :-)

SBK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Link files in unix

Can anyone say some ideas about using/creating link files (for ex., lrwxrwxrwx 1 bin bin 7 Jan 10 2001 bin -> usr/bin) in a shell script. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yuvasyntel
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permissions on link files

Does any one now if you can change permissions on a linked file with out completely removing it and then relinking it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moviestud80
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Link files....

How do you identify the type of a link in the output of the ls -l command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tom Bombadil
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

testing for presence of files in ftp

I have a shell script which GETS a file, but I only want to run this script if $FILE exists on the remote host, don't know correct syntax.....please help ftp -n $HOST <<END_SCRIPT quote USER $USER quote PASS $PASSWD bin get $FILE rename export.prn export.prn.$TIMESTAMP !cat... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: walterja
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

link files together

if I have 1000 files, named file1, file2, ... ,file1000. for each one, I want to append a line, for example "this is the end of file#". then, I want to link them all together. how can I do that by using a simple script? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fredao
1 Replies

6. Solaris

testing link on RSC card

I setup RSC on a 280R using the network connection. Unfortunately, I am unable to telnet to this card and I was wondering if there was a way to test the link from the rsc card. Here is my rsc configuration: machine1:/tmp/rsc# /usr/platform/SUNW,Sun-Fire-280R/rsc/rscadm show page_enabled="false"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

makefile Q about targets $@

Hi All I need to parse the target something like: ifeq '$@' 'first' echo 1 $@ endif ifeq '$@' 'second' echo 2 $@ endif The thing is to be able compare the target string to any string and then do the commands Thanks a lot ziv (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zivsegal
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Command for Symbolic Link Targets

**DUP post in Shell Programming and Scripting *** Hello, I'm still learning the ins and outs of how to combine multiple Unix commands together (specifically AIX), but I'm looking to do the following (only on local files): 1. Find all symbolic links that are not set up using absolute... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bdizenhouse
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

testing if files exist

I am trying to test arguments to see if they are files in any directory. I have : but it's not working (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: skooly5
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

rm files after testing for successful scp

First off, I know this is sort of a rehash of similar questions that have been asked in other closed threads, but I haven't been able to figure out how to apply the answers provided in those threads to my scenario and make it work. I am working on a script in KSH on AIX 5.1 that will do a bulk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: derndingle
1 Replies
link(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   link(1)

NAME
link, unlink - Creates an additional directory entry for an existing file SYNOPSIS
link file1 file2 unlink file STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: link: XCU5.0 unlink: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. DESCRIPTION
The link command performs the link() system call to create an additional directory entry for an existing file, file1. In effect, the underlying file then has two names, file1 and file2 (either of these arguments can be a pathname). The old and new entries share equal access rights to the underlying file. The unlink command performs the unlink() system call to remove a link to file created by link. The unlink command removes the directory entry specified by the file parameter and, if the entry is a hard link, decrements the link count of the file referenced by the link. You should be familiar with the link() and unlink() system calls before you use these commands. The link and unlink commands do not issue error messages when the associated system call is unsuccessful. NOTES
The link and unlink commands cannot be used to link and unlink directories. EXIT STATUS
The link and unlink commands both exit with the following: The link() or unlink() system call succeeded. Too few or too many arguments specified. The link() or unlink() system call failed. SEE ALSO
Commands: fsck(8), ln(1) Functions: link(2), unlink(2) link(1)