Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris boot: cannot open kernel/sparcv9/unix Post 302298098 by vermelius on Monday 16th of March 2009 05:13:55 PM
Old 03-16-2009
Where I can download Solaris8 02/04?

Hello night_mare! I've exactly the same problem. Smilie
I need to install Solaris 8 because is a requeriment for the purposes in my work. I'm trying to install Solaris 8 in a logical domain with LDOMS in a SUN T5120 SPARC and I get "boot: cannot open kernel/sparcv9/unix" because my CDs don't have the kernel image. But now is very difficult to found this other release solaris8 02/04. Can you help me?
Tanks in advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Is there a way to give the name of another kernel from 'boot:' prompt.

Can I choose a kernel at 'boot:' prompt. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pacctono
1 Replies

2. SCO

Wanting to boot from a previous kernel

I tried to add ppp on a serial line tty1b and I relink the kernel. Now, I would like to boot from the previous kernel because I lost the connexion for the others terminal (serial lines) too. I would appreciate any help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pacctono
3 Replies

3. Solaris

cannot open kernel/sparcv9/unix

Hi All, For those who have seen my previous posts will know that I've been battling to build a Sol 9 installation along side an existing Sol 8 installation. I now have a some CD's with which to try but I get the above error message whenever I try booting from them. This happens when I try... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pondlife
1 Replies

4. Solaris

A NEW version of "boot: cannot open kernel/sparcv9/unix "

Ok, I found this article: https://www.unix.com/sun-solaris/19665-boot-cannot-open-kernel-sparcv9-unix.html However it doesn't quite describe my situation. I have created a jumpstart DVD that works great, and installs my customized Solaris-10 (Yes 10, not 8 or 9 per previous posts) . It... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: biea
6 Replies

5. BSD

kernel fail to boot after recompile it

Salamo Alikom after recompilation my kernel does not boot and display msg said : enter full path to bash : /bin/sh i try fsck -r ,fsck -y but the problem is steel . my make.conf : PERL_VER=5.8.8 OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=f8 PERL_VERSION=5.8.8 MODULES_OVERRIDE = linux acpi accf_http pccard msdosfs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SIFE
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10 - Unable to boot the system "panic: cannot open /kernel/amd64/unix"

Hi All, I have installed Solaris 10 on my AMD 64 3000+ system. I was playing with grub commands eeprom and bootadm commands. I screwed my boot-file and now am unable to boot the system. Gets error msg as "panic: cannot open /kernel/amd64/unix". I booted the system is filesafe and tried update the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath K V
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New kernel won't boot

I compiled new kernel in linux 10.04 called linux-2.6.26.8-xenomai, it runs alongside the other kernel, but when I want to boot it I get an error message saying: Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev) ALERT! /dev/sda5 does not exist. After making the modules and headers I made the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdop
4 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Kernel boot options removed by fault, no boot options

Hello Everyone, First of all, I highly appreciate all Linux forum members and whole Linux community. http://forums.linuxmint.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif. I wish you the best for all of you ! I will try to be short and concise: I am using Linux Mint 10 for 2 months on 2 ws, and all went... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdt
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Kernel can not boot after upgrade on Fedora OS 15.

Hello, everyone. I am using Fedora 15, and want to upgrade to version 16. I follow the official link Upgrading Fedora using yum - FedoraProject to upgrade my OS by the following command: yum update kernel* --releasever=16 yum groupupdate Base --releasever=16 reboot After reboot, OS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
2 Replies

10. Linux

Unload kernel module at boot time (Debian Wheezy 7.2, 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel)

Hi everyone, I am trying to prevent the ehci_hcd kernel module to load at boot time. Here's what I've tried so far: 1) Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (as suggested here): 2) Blacklisted the module by adding the following string to 3) Tried to blacklist the module... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
0 Replies
KERNEL-INSTALL(8)						  kernel-install						 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)

NAME
kernel-install - Add and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot SYNOPSIS
kernel-install COMMAND KERNEL-VERSION [KERNEL-IMAGE] DESCRIPTION
kernel-install is used to install and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot. kernel-install will execute the files located in the directory /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/ and the local administration directory /etc/kernel/install.d/. All files are collectively sorted and executed in lexical order, regardless of the directory in which they live. However, files with identical filenames replace each other. Files in /etc/kernel/install.d/ take precedence over files with the same name in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/. This can be used to override a system-supplied executables with a local file if needed; a symbolic link in /etc/kernel/install.d/ with the same name as an executable in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/, pointing to /dev/null, disables the executable entirely. Executables must have the extension ".install"; other extensions are ignored. An executable should return 0 on success. It may also return 77 to cause the whole operation to terminate (executables later in lexical order will be skipped). COMMANDS
The following commands are understood: add KERNEL-VERSION KERNEL-IMAGE kernel-install creates the directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ and calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments add KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ KERNEL-IMAGE The kernel-install plugin 50-depmod.install runs depmod for the KERNEL-VERSION. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install copies KERNEL-IMAGE to /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/linux. It also creates a boot loader entry according to the boot loader specification in /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. The title of the entry is the PRETTY_NAME parameter specified in /etc/os-release or /usr/lib/os-release (if the former is missing), or "Linux KERNEL-VERSION", if unset. If the file initrd is found next to the linux file, the initrd will be added to the configuration. remove KERNEL-VERSION Calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments remove KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ kernel-install removes the entire directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ afterwards. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install removes the file /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. EXIT STATUS
If every executable returns 0 or 77, 0 is returned, and a non-zero failure code otherwise. FILES
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install Drop-in files which are executed by kernel-install. /etc/kernel/cmdline /proc/cmdline The content of the file /etc/kernel/cmdline specifies the kernel command line to use. If that file does not exist, /proc/cmdline is used. /etc/machine-id The content of the file specifies the machine identification MACHINE-ID. /etc/os-release /usr/lib/os-release The content of the file specifies the operating system title PRETTY_NAME. SEE ALSO
machine-id(5), os-release(5), Boot loader specification[1] NOTES
1. Boot loader specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec systemd 237 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)