Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH: Any Way to Get User Input Without Requiring Them to Hit the Enter Key? Post 302294992 by deckard on Friday 6th of March 2009 09:35:27 AM
Old 03-06-2009
Exactly what I needed! Thank you very much. Now we'll see if I can actually make my plan work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
In BASH you can specify how many characters to read like 'read -n 1 C'. Read will return after 1 character input and place its value in C. Also, -s will also cause the input to not be echoed to the screen.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hit 'enter' with no user intervention

I'd like to write a shell script that will enter '1', for example. How do you do that? You know, so instead of writing echo "Enter 1 or 2" read onetwo and waiting for the user to enter a 1 or 2, I'd like the script to act like someone entered a 1, or 2. Is there a hex value for the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpprial
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pressing backspace key simulates enter key

Hi, Whenever i press the backspace key, a new line appears, i.e. it works like a enter key. :confused: Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to enter a return key in bash script?

Hi, I'm porting an install script from AIX to Red Hat (2.6.18-164.el5 #1 SMP) I have this script working in both AIX and HP-UX. The script is a wrapper for a Micro Focus Server Express install program. It responds to the install program questions with a here-now list. Responses includes... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: duker61
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

enter key or carriage return as input in perl

hi experts Question in perl i'm creating a script to take from user a different inputs one of them is the carriage return .. so that i want to make an if condition if the user hit enter key the user will go to previous step it something like that chomp ($input = <STDIN>); if ($input =~... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: doubando
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a script requiring a pause for user input

Hi I'm trying to create a basic script that pauses for user input to verify a file name before generating the output. I have numerous SSL certificate files which I am trying to determine the expiry date so what I'm trying to do is write a script so that is pauses to request the name of the .pem... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Buddyluv
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop logic, enter into respective IF as per enter input file name

have three big data file, however I just need to see the mentioned below one line form the all the file which has SERVER_CONNECTION Value File 1 export SERVER_CONNECTION=//dvlna002:10001/SmartServer File2 export SERVER_CONNECTION=///SmartServer File3 export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nsharma3006
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass enter key or selected character in bash script?

hi, i've bash script thats working... but now i need to add a line....that prompts for user input....like yes and 1 as complete install.... so here's how it looks... $ cd 9200 (cd into directory) $./install (hv to type ./install to run install then ask for) ----do you want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kernel11
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading user input...problem with tab key

Hi all, I have a little problem with my shell script (reading user input, save user input to variable, invisible characters in the log file :() printf "1. What's your file path?" /path/to/my/file read -e FILE I have invisible characters in my log file (e.g. <ESC> or ^G) when I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: splendid
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input password to bash script, save, and enter when needed

I am looking for a way to start a script and have it prompt for a password that will be used later on in the script to SSH to another host and to SFTP. I don't want the password to be hard coded. Below is my script with the actual IP's and usernames removed. #!/usr/bin/expect -f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrass
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect command to send the user input enter or ctrl+c

Hey All, I am writing one script using expect, that script which is used in spawn will accepts only 1. Enter 2. Ctrl+c Press Control-C to exit, Enter to proceed. Could some one share some thoughts to send the above user inputs in linux expect block ? Thanks, Sam (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SCHITIMA
0 Replies
menu_mark(3X)															     menu_mark(3X)

NAME
menu_mark - get and set the menu mark string SYNOPSIS
#include <menu.h> int set_menu_mark(MENU *menu, const char *mark); const char *menu_mark(const MENU *menu); DESCRIPTION
In order to make menu selections visible on older terminals without highlighting or color capability, the menu library marks selected items in a menu with a prefix string. The function set_menu_mark sets the mark string for the given menu. Calling set_menu_mark with a null menu item will abolish the mark string. Note that changing the length of the mark string for a menu while the menu is posted is likely to produce unhelpful behavior. The default string is "-" (a dash). Calling set_menu_mark with a non-NULL menu argument will change this default. The function menu_mark returns the menu's mark string (or NULL if there is none). RETURN VALUE
The function menu_mark returns a pointer (which may be NULL). It does not set errno. The function set_menu_mark may return the following error codes: E_OK The routine succeeded. E_BAD_ARGUMENT Routine detected an incorrect or out-of-range argument. E_SYSTEM_ERROR System error occurred (see errno). SEE ALSO
curses(3X), menu(3X). NOTES
The header file <menu.h> automatically includes the header file <curses.h>. PORTABILITY
These routines emulate the System V menu library. They were not supported on Version 7 or BSD versions. AUTHORS
Juergen Pfeifer. Manual pages and adaptation for new curses by Eric S. Raymond. menu_mark(3X)