Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Trouble connecting to internet Post 302293620 by mark54g on Tuesday 3rd of March 2009 01:22:48 PM
Old 03-03-2009
You are more than likely using IPv4 not v6 so that should not be an issue. Do you have "connect at boot" selected in YaST? in /etc/sysconfig/network/, do you have any files with "eth" in them? Can you list them?

something like this would be needed:

DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp

Last edited by mark54g; 03-03-2009 at 02:37 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

connecting to internet

I have installed Solaris 8.0 and want to find out how can I go in and change my network setup and external IP setup. At the moment system running but I can not connect to the internet. But my lan card shows that I am on the network. I also get some advice that I should check the $Socks but how do I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cdrive
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Connecting to the Internet

Im on XP now but when im on linux how do I connect to the internet? I don't think AOL works with it but are there any free programs that I can use with it? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: NoPepsiForYou
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hi all, Is it possible (as I only have dial-up) to utilise my existing WinXP PC as a gateway to the internet for my 2nd PC (RH 8.0)?? .So connect with XP and have RH use a network connection (I guess) through the XP box and to the internet. If so, could I please have some links thrown my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cameron
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help connecting to the internet with solaris10

I am using solaris 10 with pentium 3. I have two network cards but none of them come up when i run <ifconfig -a> in command line. The two cards I have are : Linksys LNE 100TX and Netgear FA311. Does solaris 10 support these NICs or do I have to dowload the drivers for them. If so, can anyone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fidjouss
1 Replies

5. Linux

connecting to INTERNET

Hi, I can ping www.yahoo.com (then domain name server is OK) but I can not navigate by Motzila to www.yahoo.com or any other Web Site. What can be the problem ? Mozila is configured in preference /advance to go automaticaly on WEB. We are under RED HAT AS3. What should I check ? Many thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I have just installed Linux and everything looks great, but how do I get my browser (Mozilla) to connect to my internet service provider? I have a cable connection to Bigpond in Australia, if that means anything - the ISP will not provide support for Linux. Your help would be greatly... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: openhead
2 Replies

7. Solaris

connecting to internet from solaris 10

hi there, hope your chakras are all doing well :-) just installed solaris 10 on my laptop, all seems fine except the internet. How can i connect on a DSL line?. spent 7 days and 3 nights trying but couldnt find the starting point.... alikun (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: alikun
22 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Trouble connecting to FTP proxy server

Hi Guys, I have trouble connecting to ftp server. My task is to connect to the proxy server and get the latest file to the local machine. It works fine when i do the same steps manually. I've been trying to do it in multiple ways but im just not able to connect. When i check the log, this is what... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stunnerz_84
4 Replies

9. SCO

Connecting to the internet

Hi, I have a router, 192.168.1.1, and an internet router, 10.0.0.138. I have connected the server to the 1st router and assigned it a IP address of 192.168.1.1. I can ping both routers successfully but I have no access to internet. Any suggestions? sco5.0.7 (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: juan.navarrete
11 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Trouble Connecting to Wi-Fi Via GUI

Note: I originally posted this question on unix.stackexchange.com. But as my question was down-voted within an hour of asking, I came to the conclusion that perhaps I need to quit attempting to get help on StackExchange or that my inquiry is simply moronic. If anyone feels that my question is not... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntumDeluge
7 Replies
IFCFG(5)						       Network configuration							  IFCFG(5)

NAME
ifcfg - common elements of network interface configuration SYNOPSIS
/etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-* VARIABLES
The following is a list of variables that can be put in the configuration file, with an example in parentheses. * marks the default. For the meaning of suffix, see the section Multiple addresses. STARTMODE {manual*|auto|hotplug|ifplugd|nfsroot|off} Choose when the interface should be set up. manual Interface will be set up if ifup is called manually (without option boot or hotplug) auto Interface will be set up as soon as it is available (and service network was started). This either happens at boot time when network is starting or via hotplug when a interface is added to the system (by adding a device or loading a driver). To be backward compliant onboot, on and boot are aliases for auto. hotplug This mode is nearly the same as auto. The difference between auto and hotplug is that the latter does not make rcnetwork fail if the interface cannot be brought up. ifplugd The interface will be controlled from ifplugd. At initial ifup only ifplugd will be started for this interface. Then if ifplugd detects a link if calls ifup again which finally sets the interface up. See also variable IFPLUGD_PRIORITY below. nfsroot Nearly like auto, but interfaces with this startmode will never be shut down via rcnetwork stop. ifdown <interface> still works. Use this when you use a root filesystem via network. off Will never be activated. IFPLUGD_PRIORITY If there multiple interfaces have STARTMODE=ifplugd and a nonzero priority, only one of them will be set up at a time. Every time one of these interfaces is (un)plugged the interface with highest priority (and plugged cable) will be set up. Default is IFPLUGD_PRIORITY='0' causing set up as when the cable is plugged. Note: This is not supported for e.g. bridge interfaces or bridge ports. BOOTPROTO {static*|dhcp|dhcp4|dhcp6|autoip|dhcp+autoip|6to4|none|ibft} Setup protocol. If this variable is empty or missing, it defaults to static. static A fixed addresses specified in IPADDR and related variables and static routing as defined in routes and ifroute-<interface name> files is configured. dhcp4 dhcp6 dhcp A DHCPv4, DHCPv6 or both clients are started to configure the interface. The setup is considered successful, when at least one dhcp client configures the interface. Additionally to the dhcp client configuration, fixed addresses and routes may also be specified. Note: Static routes without explicit interfaces will also replace routes to the same destination (network) configured by dhcp clients on any interface! Static routes with explicit interface will also replace routes to the same destination (network) configured by dhcp clients on this interface. autoip dhcp+autoip may be used for a IPv6 zeroconf setup or as fall back to autoip if dhcp fails. 6to4 to set up IPv6 tunnel interfaces running in the "6to4" mode. See also ifcfg-tunnel(5) manual page. none For bonding slaves and bridge ports to skip the interface configuration. It is also recommended (instead of static) for interfaces configured with STARTMODE=nfsroot (for nfs- and iscsi-root installation), where the setup is done in the initrd and inconsistencies could break it. ibft For interfaces with iSCSI Boot Firmware Table (iBFT) firmware, defined in ACPI 3.0b specification, intended to use together with STARTMODE=nfsroot. Causes reading of the iBFT settings (/sys/firmware/ibft) for the interface and override the BOOT- PROTO setting internally to dhcp when the origin flag is set to IpPrefixOriginDdhcp (3), otherwise to none. IPADDR[suffix] {IPv4|IPv6}[/PREFIXLEN] IP address, either IPv4 or IPv6. You may add /<prefixlength> in both cases and omit NETMASK or PREFIXLEN. If you need more then one IP address use this variable multiple times with different suffixes added. See section Multiple addresses below. If no address is configured the interface will just be activated (UP). PREFIXLEN[suffix] Number of bits in IPADDR that form the network address. Alternatively add a prefix-length to IPADDR or use NETMASK. PREFIXLEN is preferred over NETMASK. but highest priority has a prefix-length added to the IP address in the variable IPADDR. NETMASK[suffix] Network mask. Alternatively add a prefix-length to IPADDR or use PREFIXLEN. This variable is ignored if a prefix-length is speci- fied. BROADCAST[suffix] Network broadcast. If you omit the broadcast address, it will be calculated from netmask or prefix-length. You can affect the calcu- lation with the variable DEFAULT_BROADCAST in /etc/sysconfig/network/config. See the description there. REMOTE_IPADDR[suffix] The remote IP address of a point to point connection LABEL[suffix] Each address may be tagged with a label string. In order to preserve compatibility with Linux-2.0 net aliases, this string must coincide with the name of the device or must be prefixed with the device name followed by colon. This may be useful with Multiple addresses (see below). SCOPE[suffix] The scope of the area where this address is valid. The available scopes are listed in file /etc/iproute2/rt_scopes. Predefined scope values are: global - the address is globally valid. site - (IPv6 only) the address is site local, i.e. it is valid inside this site. link - the address is link local, i.e. it is valid only on this device. host - the address is valid only inside this host. MTU Set the maximum transfer unit (MTU) for this interface. IP_OPTIONS[suffix] Any other option you may want to give to the ip add add ... command. This string is appended to the command. LLADDR Set an individual link layer address (MAC address). LINK_OPTIONS Here you may add any option valid with ip link set up ... INTERFACETYPE Sometimes ifup cannot determine the interface type properly. In this cases you may specify it in this variable. ETHTOOL_OPTIONS If this variable is not empty ifup will call ethtool with this options. See the ethtool (8) manual page for available options. If the option string starts with a '-' (e.g. '-K iface rx on'), then the second word in the string will be replaced with the current interface name. Otherwise (e.g. 'autoneg off speed 10') ifup prepends '-s <interface>'. RUN_POLL_TCPIP {yes*|no} Controls running /etc/ppp/poll.tcpip when a dialup connection is established. PRE_UP_SCRIPT, POST_UP_SCRIPT, PRE_DOWN_SCRIPT and POST_DOWN_SCRIPT Here you can hook a script (better: an executable) to perform individual actions before/after the interface is set up or before/after the interface is set down. If you use relative filenames ifup will look for them in /etc/sysconfig/network/scripts but you may use absolute paths as well. They were called scripts, because they usually are scripts, but you may add also binaries here. If they are scripts, they must be made executable. These scripts will be called with nearly the same arguments as ifup. The only difference is that the configuration-name (optional for ifup) is always set with the name determined by getcfg. The configuration name is stored in the variable $CONFIG which may be used inside the ifcfg- configuration file. If BOOTPROTO=dhcp then the post up and pre down scripts will not be executed immediately by ifup/ifdown. Instead dhcpcd calls ifup/ifdown with a special option always after it sets, changes or removes the IP address. Therefore post up scripts will be exe- cuted after the interface is really up which may be much later if dhcp did not get a lease immediately. And pre down scripts are called after dhcp shut down the interface (not before as 'pre' would indicate. This is a problem of dhcpcd). TUNNEL, TUNNEL_* Using this variable you may set up different tunnels. See ifcfg-tunnel (5) manual page. ETHERDEVICE Needed only for virtual LANs (802.1q). It contains the real interface to use for the vlan interface. See ifcfg-vlan (5) manual page. BONDING_MASTER, BONDING_SLAVE_*, BONDING_OPTS, BONDING_MODULE_OPTS These are used to set up interface bonding. See ifcfg-bonding (5) manual page. GENERAL VARIABLES
There are some general settings in the file /etc/sysconfig/network/config. If needed you can also set every general variable as an indi- vidual variable in the ifcfg-* files. DEFAULT_BROADCAST GLOBAL_POST_UP_EXEC GLOBAL_PRE_DOWN_EXEC CHECK_DUPLICATE_IP DEBUG USE_SYSLOG= MODIFY_RESOLV_CONF_DYNAMICALLY MODIFY_NAMED_CONF_DYNAMICALLY MODIFY_RESOLV_CONF_STATIC_DNS CONNECTION_SHOW_WHEN_IFSTATUS CONNECTION_CHECK_BEFORE_IFDOWN CONNECTION_CLOSE_BEFORE_IFDOWN CONNECTION_UMOUNT_NFS_BEFORE_IFDOWN CONNECTION_SEND_KILL_SIGNAL MANDATORY_DEVICES WAIT_FOR_INTERFACES FIREWALL LINKLOCAL_INTERFACES IFPLUGD_OPTIONS Please see the description of these variables in /etc/sysconfig/network/config. Multiple addresses You can extend the variable name IPADDR by any string you like. For example IPADDR_1, IPADDR-FOO or IPADDRxxx. Use these variables for your IP addresses. If you need some additional parameters for these addresses, then just add the same extension to these variable names: BROADCAST, NETMASK, PREFIXLEN, REMOTE_IPADDR, LABEL, SCOPE, IP_OPTIONS. Example: IPADDR_AAA=1.2.3.4 NETMASK_AAA=255.0.0.0 BROADCAST_AAA=1.2.3.55 IPADDR_BBB=10.10.2.3/16 LABEL_BBB=BBB and so on ... You do not need to set a label for any address. But then you should not use ifconfig any longer; go and use ip. If you want to use ifcon- fig then omit the label for your main address and set a number as label for every additional address. BUGS
Please report bugs at <http://www.suse.de/feedback> AUTHOR
Christian Zoz <zoz@suse.de> -- ifup script Michal Svec <msvec@suse.cz> -- ifup script Bjoern Jacke -- ifup script Mads Martin Joergensen <mmj@suse.de> -- ifup manual page Michal Ludvig <mludvig@suse.cz> -- tunnel support SEE ALSO
/etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg.template, ifcfg-bonding(5), ifcfg-tunnel(5), ifcfg-vlan(5), ifcfg-wireless(5), ifup(8). sysconfig August 2004 IFCFG(5)