Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Flat File column manipulation Post 302293544 by ripat on Tuesday 3rd of March 2009 09:19:36 AM
Old 03-03-2009
Code:
gawk -F'\t' '{print $1, substr($2, 1, 2) substr($2, 6, 1), $3, $4}' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Look up column in a flat file

Here is on more go ! Need a shortcut for my problem ! problem is i have a look_update with fixed sequence of column that is : MANDT:SERAIL:SERSCHA:SEREX:EQTYP:BSTVP I will be getting data in a flat file having same number of column but the sequence could be different in each... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Flat file manipulation, (this could be a tough one)

Howdy everyone, I have need of a scripting brain to help me through the following issue: *This will help if I explain what I am doing this for and then it may make sense. I need to change a flat file to prepend a 3 digit code to a certain field in the file going on the value in another scetion of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrbungle50
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Column to Rows in a Flat file

Hi, Request To guide me in writing a shell program for the following requirement: Example:if the Input File contains the follwing data Input File Data: 80723240029,12,323,443,88,98,7,98,67,87 80723240030,12,56,6,,,3,12,56,6,7,2,3,12,56,6,7,2,3,88,98,7,98,67,87... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinikal
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Flat file manipulation

Hi I have flat file with 100 records ,I need to fabricate data into flat file . ex: file.txt 102345 1000 200 300 ............................... .............................. 102346 2000 300 4000 In above file the 4th row, 1 st column valu to be increment by 1 and rest of... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan705
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read the first column in a flat file with ~ as delimiter

I have one flat file like below id1~col~batch1 id2~col2~batch2 id3~col3~batch3 I need to read the first column one by one and I need to write one db2 query based on that column1 Like for (i=0;i<=10;i++) do insert into table column (con_id) values (select column from table where... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siri_886
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summation of column value in flat file

Hello Guys Please find my below requirement I have a flat file with column headers in first line and data The structure like below col1 col2 col3 A 1 2 B 3 4 C 5 6 Say I have to take the summation of col2 (that will depend on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort flat file by 3rd column in perl

Hello Guys I want to sort a flat file by the third column (numeric ) and store it in some other name I/P 9924873|20111114|00000000000013013|130|13|10/15/2010 12:36:22|W860944|N|00 9924873|20111114|00000000000013009|130|09|10/15/2010 12:36:22|W860944|N|00... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the position of a field/column in a flat file

Hi, Let say I have a file which has around 400 fields. SampleFile ========= PATIENTID|FACILITY|................|TIME_LAST_VISITED_BY_MD|.....|STATUS| How is it possible to find out which field is TIME_LAST_VISITED_BY_MD?fro example by seeing the above structure we can saw FACILITY... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Column manipulation of a file

In a space delimited file how would you go about removing 2 and 3 column of a file and add "word" to the first column of the file in both awk and vi? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed flat file manipulation

Hello, I have a large flat file where i need to change data in columns 131-133 based on what is in columns 172-173. I am not sure if I need to read the file line by line and make the change or if I can do this in a single statement. thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gblmin
3 Replies
SUBSTR(3)								 1								 SUBSTR(3)

substr - Return part of a string

SYNOPSIS
string substr (string $string, int $start, [int $length]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the portion of $string specified by the $start and $length parameters. PARAMETERS
o $string - The input string. Must be one character or longer. o $start - If $start is non-negative, the returned string will start at the $start'th position in $string, counting from zero. For instance, in the string ' abcdef', the character at position 0 is ' a', the character at position 2 is ' c', and so forth. If $start is negative, the returned string will start at the $start'th character from the end of $string. If $string is less than or equal to $start characters long, FALSE will be returned. Example #1 Using a negative $start <?php $rest = substr("abcdef", -1); // returns "f" $rest = substr("abcdef", -2); // returns "ef" $rest = substr("abcdef", -3, 1); // returns "d" ?> o $length - If $length is given and is positive, the string returned will contain at most $length characters beginning from $start (depend- ing on the length of $string). If $length is given and is negative, then that many characters will be omitted from the end of $string (after the start position has been calculated when a $start is negative). If $start denotes the position of this trunca- tion or beyond, false will be returned. If $length is given and is 0, FALSE or NULL, an empty string will be returned. If $length is omitted, the substring starting from $start until the end of the string will be returned. Example #2 Using a negative $length <?php $rest = substr("abcdef", 0, -1); // returns "abcde" $rest = substr("abcdef", 2, -1); // returns "cde" $rest = substr("abcdef", 4, -4); // returns false $rest = substr("abcdef", -3, -1); // returns "de" ?> RETURN VALUES
Returns the extracted part of $string; or FALSE on failure, or an empty string. CHANGELOG
+--------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------------+---------------------------------------------------+ |5.2.2 - 5.2.6 | | | | | | | If the $start parameter indicates the position | | | of a negative truncation or beyond, false is | | | returned. Other versions get the string from | | | start. | | | | +--------------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #3 Basic substr(3) usage <?php echo substr('abcdef', 1); // bcdef echo substr('abcdef', 1, 3); // bcd echo substr('abcdef', 0, 4); // abcd echo substr('abcdef', 0, 8); // abcdef echo substr('abcdef', -1, 1); // f // Accessing single characters in a string // can also be achieved using "square brackets" $string = 'abcdef'; echo $string[0]; // a echo $string[3]; // d echo $string[strlen($string)-1]; // f ?> Example #4 substr(3) casting behaviour <?php class apple { public function __toString() { return "green"; } } echo "1) ".var_export(substr("pear", 0, 2), true).PHP_EOL; echo "2) ".var_export(substr(54321, 0, 2), true).PHP_EOL; echo "3) ".var_export(substr(new apple(), 0, 2), true).PHP_EOL; echo "4) ".var_export(substr(true, 0, 1), true).PHP_EOL; echo "5) ".var_export(substr(false, 0, 1), true).PHP_EOL; echo "6) ".var_export(substr("", 0, 1), true).PHP_EOL; echo "7) ".var_export(substr(1.2e3, 0, 4), true).PHP_EOL; ?> The above example will output: 1) 'pe' 2) '54' 3) 'gr' 4) '1' 5) false 6) false 7) '1200' ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS Returns FALSE on error. Example #5 <?php var_dump(substr('a', 1)); // bool(false) ?> SEE ALSO
strrchr(3), substr_replace(3), preg_match(3), trim(3), mb_substr(3), wordwrap(3), String access and modification by character. PHP Documentation Group SUBSTR(3)