Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting finding the line number from a grep ? Post 302293390 by Whiteboard on Tuesday 3rd of March 2009 04:19:34 AM
Old 03-03-2009
Code:
$ cat samplefile
test1
test2
test3
test1

$ grep -n test1 samplefile
1:test1
4:test1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding number ranges using grep

Is it possible for me to find numbers in a file by a range using grep? like cat data | cut -f1 | grep <info> Im trying to find information and extract every amount that is less than a number (ie less than 75 or whatever) Is this possible? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DKNUCKLES
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the line number of matching braces

Hi,I am new to shell scripting and i want to find the line numbers of matching braces. The file contents are as follows File XXX.dat 1 ( CLASS "FRUIT" 2 (TYPE "PERSISTENT") 3 (MESSAGE_TYPE "M") 4 (GET_REQRD "Y") 5 (SET_REQRD "Y") 6 ) 7 ( CLASS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajendra_1510
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed for finding closest pattern to a line number

hi guys, I want to do pattern matching with awk or sed but I don't know how. here's what I want: I have a line number for a pattern that I have already found using grep, and I know a pattern like "---" that happens a few lines above that certain line number. I want to print out the chunk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alirezan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding line number if the line contains

hi i have a file , that contains data like 34343538 3136414D 45583030 30302E54 445816AMEX0000.T 524E2020 20202020 20202020 20202020 RN 20202020 20203030 38303030 30303030 0080000000 30303030 30300D 000000. 20080724-051254.668419 D 473... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satyak
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the number of occurence of a word in a line

suppose i have this line abs|der|gt|dftnrk|dtre i want to count the number of "|" in this line.. how can i do that. plz help:confused: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyanka3006
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep question: stop search from finding entire line

Sorry for the title, I really don't know how to word this question or what to even search for. I tried "grep one match", "grep 1 match", "stop grep" on both google and here and haven't found something that helps, so here I go: I have a file that's about 1.5 million lines long, every line looks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmoakler
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding line with highest number in a file

Hi All, My file looks some thing like this, File 1: - A 10 B 30 C 5 D 25 E 72 F 23 now my requirement is to find the line with highest number in it, i;e the result should be E 72 Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balu_puttaganti
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the line with the exact same number

Hello All, What i am doing is , i tail a file from certain chatacter and then cat -n to get the line numbers.I search for a particular string and gets it line number. What i am interested in is the next line immediately after the pattern i search. But grep gives me result for all line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kailash19
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the line number of a particular line in a file

Hi Frnds, I need to find the line number of a particular line in a file and store that line number to a variable. if a file named myfile contains following look at the sun look at the moon look at the star look at the ocean i need to get the line number of the line 'look at the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvignesh
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

help for fast way of finding line number for a regex

Hello, I am trying to find out the line numbers where regex match and put them into a file with below command: awk '/'$pat'/ {print NR}' $fileName >> temp.txt where $pat is the regex but this command is taking a lot of time to execute with bigger files for size more than 5000000... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoeColeEPL9
8 Replies
bup-restore(1)						      General Commands Manual						    bup-restore(1)

NAME
bup-restore - extract files from a backup set SYNOPSIS
bup restore [--outdir=outdir] [-v] [-q] DESCRIPTION
bup restore extracts files from a backup set (created with bup-save(1)) to the local filesystem. The specified paths are of the form /branch/revision/path/to/file. The components of the path are as follows: branch the name of the backup set to restore from; this corresponds to the --name (-n) option to bup save. revision the revision of the backup set to restore. The revision latest is always the most recent backup on the given branch. You can dis- cover other revisions using bup ls /branch. /path/to/file the original absolute filesystem path to the file you want to restore. For example, /etc/passwd. Note: if the /path/to/file is a directory, bup restore will restore that directory as well as recursively restoring all its contents. If /path/to/file is a directory ending in a slash (ie. /path/to/dir/), bup restore will restore the children of that directory directly to the current directory (or the --outdir). If the directory does not end in a slash, the children will be restored to a subdirectory of the current directory. See the EXAMPLES section to see how this works. OPTIONS
-C, --outdir=outdir create and change to directory outdir before extracting the files. -v, --verbose increase log output. Given once, prints every directory as it is restored; given twice, prints every file and directory. -q, --quiet don't show the progress meter. Normally, is stderr is a tty, a progress display is printed that shows the total number of files restored. EXAMPLE
Create a simple test backup set: $ bup index -u /etc $ bup save -n mybackup /etc/passwd /etc/profile Restore just one file: $ bup restore /mybackup/latest/etc/passwd Restoring: 1, done. $ ls -l passwd -rw-r--r-- 1 apenwarr apenwarr 1478 2010-09-08 03:06 passwd Restore the whole directory (no trailing slash): $ bup restore -C test1 /mybackup/latest/etc Restoring: 3, done. $ find test1 test1 test1/etc test1/etc/passwd test1/etc/profile Restore the whole directory (trailing slash): $ bup restore -C test2 /mybackup/latest/etc/ Restoring: 2, done. $ find test2 test2 test2/passwd test2/profile SEE ALSO
bup-save(1), bup-ftp(1), bup-fuse(1), bup-web(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-restore(1)