Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need a sort solution for fixed length file Post 302293202 by mb1201 on Monday 2nd of March 2009 05:02:45 PM
Old 03-02-2009
Need a sort solution for fixed length file

I have a 1250 byte record that I need to sort in column 10-19 and in column 301. I have tried the sort command, but it looks like it needs delimiters to work. The record can have spaces in a lot of its 1250 columns, but 10-19, and 301 are guaranteed. These columns are numeric too.

A sample look is:

1124688 Barrera .......................... 0 .....................
1 1998945 Warble .......................... 2 .....................
2327703 Rebholz .......................... 3 .....................
8 5032 Rebholz .......................... 5 .....................

1 is in column 1
1998945 is in column 10
Warble is in column 20
2 is in column 301

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a fixed length output from a variable length input

Is there a command that sets a variable length? I have a input of a variable length field but my output for that field needs to be set to 32 char. Is there such a command? I am on a sun box running ksh Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r1500
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort on fixed length files

Hi How to sort a fixed length file on a given char range and just display the duplicates. I did search for man sort to find any option but could find any.,something similar to cut -c 1-5,25-35. I have alternate way of doing this by using combination of cut,awk. but this creates extra temp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sach_in
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating a fixed length file w/o PERL

Greetings, I need to take a fixed length file, similar to the following: <input file> 1233 e 612 i 43378 f 03 x 22 17 e 9899 a 323e a6 z7 read in the character in position 6, and if that character = e, delete that line from the file. <output file> 43378 f 03 x 22 17 e 9899 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dabear
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What the command to find out the record length of a fixed length file?

I want to find out the record length of a fixed length file? I forgot the command. Any body know? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tranq01
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert a tab delimited/variable length file to fixed length file

Hi, all. I need to convert a file tab delimited/variable length file in AIX to a fixed lenght file delimited by spaces. This is the input file: 10200002<tab>US$ COM<tab>16/12/2008<tab>2,3775<tab>2,3783 19300978<tab>EURO<tab>16/12/2008<tab>3,28523<tab>3,28657 And this is the expected... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Everton_Silveir
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read fixed length flat file....

Hi Gurus, Thanks in advance... I am new to writing shell scripting and help me out reading a flat file with fixed length. I have a fixed length flat file with storename(lenth 6) , emailaddress(lenth 15), location(10). There is NO delimiters in that file. Like the following str00001.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: willywilly
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix sort for fixed length columns and records

I was trying to use the AIX 6.1 sort command to sort fixed-length data records, sorting by specific columns only. It took some time to figure out how to get it to work, so I wanted to share the solution. The sort man page wasn't much help, because it talks about field delimeters (default space... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CheeseHead1
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Date in a fixed length file

Hello All, I working on ksh. I am using fixed length file. My file is like: ======== IXTTIV110827 NANTH AM IKSHIT ABCDEF 0617 IJAY NAND EENIG ZXYWVU 0912 AP OOK OONG PQRSTU100923 NASA DISH TTY ASDFG 0223 GHU UMA LAM QWERT 0111 ATHE SH THEW ======= From 7th to 12 is a date... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AnanthaDikshit
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Length of a fixed width file

I have a fixed width file of length 53. when is try to get the lengh of the record of that file i get 2 different answers. awk '{print length;exit}' <File_name> The above code gives me length 50. wc -L <File_name> The above code gives me length 53. Please clarify on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutha24
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace and Increment a value in the fixed length file

Hi Everyone, I need to increment a value in the fixed length file. The file has almost a million rows. Is there any easy way to accomplish this. Ex input file ASDSD ADSD 00000 X AAASD ADSD 00000 X SDDDD ADSD 00000 X Ouput ASDSD ADSD 00001 X AAASD ADSD 00002 X SDDDD ADSD 00003 X ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saratha14
7 Replies
ppmhist(1)						      General Commands Manual							ppmhist(1)

NAME
ppmhist - print a histogram of a portable pixmap SYNOPSIS
ppmhist [-hexcolor] [-noheader] [-map] [-nomap] [-sort={frequency,rgb}] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a PPM image as input. Generates a histogram of the colors in the image, i.e. a list of all the colors and how many pixels of each color are in the image. OPTIONS
-sort={frequency,rgb} The -sort option determines the order in which the colors are listed in the output. frequency means to list them in order of how pixels in the input image have the color, with the most represented colors first. rgb means to sort them first by the intensity of the red component of the color, the of the green, then of the blue, with the least intense first. The default is frequency. -hexcolor Print the color components in hexadecimal. Default is decimal. -noheader Do not print the column headings. -map Generates a PPM file of the colormap for the image, with the color histogram as comments. -nomap Generates the histogram for human reading. This is the default. SEE ALSO
ppm(5), pgmhist(1), ppmtomap(1), pnmhistmap(1), ppmchange(1) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 17 September 2000 ppmhist(1)