Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to replace specific space in files ? Post 302292431 by rikxik on Friday 27th of February 2009 11:03:12 PM
Old 02-28-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfajohnson

You don't need -e:

Code:
sed '
s/ /,/
s/ /,/'  FILE

Hmm.. never thought like that but makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Or even:

Code:
sed 's/\([^ ]*\) \([^ ]*\) /\1,\2,/' FILE

This was the approach I took first... but repeatedly got "command garbled" so gave up. Maybe my regexs weren't in good shape Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read space filled file and replace text at specific position

Hi I have a spaced filled file having records like below: What I want is to read line having RT3 at position 17-19 then go to position 2651 check the 18 characters (might be space filled till 18 characters). This position should have a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: COD
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables this is where i am at grep -v WARNING output | grep -v spawn | grep -v Passphrase | grep -v Authentication | grep -v '/sbin/tfadmin netguard -C'| grep -v 'NETWORK>' >> output.clean grep -n Destination... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: todd.cutting
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace specific character and specific position

I am trying to use sed to replace specific characters at a specific position in the file with a different value... can this be done? Example: File: A0199999123 A0199999124 A0199999125 Need to replace 99999 in positions 3-7 with 88888. Any help is appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: programmer22
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace a string a specific value in specific location in AIX

Hi, I have following samp.txt file in unix. samp.txt 01Roy2D3M000000 02Rad2D3M222222 . . . . 10Mik0A2M343443 Desired Output 01Roy2A3M000000 02Rad2A3M222222 . . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace text in SPECIFIC multiple files

I have a list of files with different file names and ext that i need replace(saved as file_list.txt.) i just want to replace from a specific file list. i obtain an error saying lint not found. Plz help. Thx perl -e "s/$NAME/$T_NAME/gi;" -pi $(find . -type f | xargs -0 lint -e < file_list.txt) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yvmy
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

highly specific search and replace for a large number of files

hey guys, I have a directory with about 600 files. I need to find a specific word inside a command and replace only that instance of the word in many files. For example, lets say I have a command called 'foo' in many files. One of the input arguments of the 'foo' call is 'bar'. The word 'bar'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksubrama
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help search and replace hex values only in specific files

perl -pi -e 's/\x00/\x0d\x0a/g' `grep -l $'GS' filelist` This isn't working :confused:, it's not pulling the files that contain the regex. Please help me rewrite this :wall:. Ideally for this to work on 9K of 20K files in the directory, I've tried this but I don't know enough about awk... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: verge
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific field on specific line sed or awk

I'm trying to update a text file via sed/awk, after a lot of searching I still can't find a code snippet that I can get to work. Brief overview: I have user input a line to a variable, I then find a specific value in this line 10th field in this case. After asking for new input and doing some... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: crownedzero
14 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Search for a pattern and replace a space at specific position with a Character in File

In file, we have millions of records each of 1000 in length. And at specific position say 800 there is a space, we need to replace it with Character X if the ID in that row starts with 123. So far i have used the below which is replacing space at that position to X but its not checking for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagmeet Singh
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace specific positions of specific lines

Hi, I have a file with hundreds of lines. I want to search for particular lines starting with 4000, search and replace the 137-139 position characters; which will be '000', with '036'. Can all of this be done without opening a temp file and then moving that temp file to the original file name. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsid
7 Replies
Speech(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 Speech(3)

NAME
Mac::Speech - Provide interface to PlainTalk (Speech Manager) SYNOPSIS
use Mac::Speech; DESCRIPTION
Access to Inside Macintosh is essential for proper use of these functions. Explanations of terms, processes and procedures are provided there. Any attempt to use these functions without guidance can cause severe errors in your machine, including corruption of data. You have been warned. Variables %Voice The %Voice hash will return the index to the first voice whose name matches the given text. Constants kTextToSpeechSynthType kTextToSpeechVoiceType kTextToSpeechVoiceFileType kTextToSpeechVoiceBundleType Speech Types. kNoEndingProsody kNoSpeechInterrupt kPreflightThenPause Synthesizer flags. kImmediate kEndOfWord kEndOfSentence Where to stop. kNeuter kMale kFemale Genders. Types VoiceDescription Voice Description Record. long length size of structure--set by application VoiceSpec voice voice synthesizer and ID info long version version number of voice Str63 name name of voice Str255 comment text information about voice short gender neuter, male, or female short age approximate age in years short script script code of text voice can process short language language code of voice output short region region code of voice output VoiceSpec Voice Specification Record. OSType creator ID of required synthesizer OSType id ID of voice on the synthesizer Functions SpeechManagerVersion CountVoices GetIndVoice INDEX GetVoiceDescription VOICE NewSpeechChannel VOICE DisposeSpeechChannel CHAN SpeakString S SpeakText CHAN, TEXT SpeakBuffer CHAN, TEXT, CONTROLFLAGS StopSpeech CHAN StopSpeechAt CHAN, WHERETOSTOP PauseSpeechAt CHAN, WHERETOPAUSE ContinueSpeech CHAN SpeechBusy SpeechBusySystemWide SetSpeechRate CHAN, RATE GetSpeechRate CHAN SetSpeechPitch CHAN, PITCH GetSpeechPitch CHAN TextToPhonemes CHAN, TEXT SpeechToFile CHAN, PATH Set speech channel CHAN to output to file PATH. AUTHOR
Written by Matthias Ulrich Neeracher <neeracher@mac.com>. Currently maintained by Chris Nandor <pudge@pobox.com>. perl v5.18.2 2017-10-06 Speech(3)