Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cannot redirect to STDIN in a shell script Post 302286661 by metaltree on Wednesday 11th of February 2009 04:39:29 PM
Old 02-11-2009
Thanks, but apparently this goes beyond the Cygwin element.

I tried that on a Linux bash:

1. Works fine as a line:
Code:
-bash-3.1$ cat <(printf "aaa\nbbb\n") <(printf "111\n222\n")
aaa
bbb

2. Won't work as a script:
Code:

-rw-r--r-- 1 cleseb01 cleseb01 51 Feb 11 16:27 script
-bash-3.1$ cat script 
cat <(printf "aaa\nbbb\n") <(printf "111\n222\n")

-bash-3.1$ sh script 
script: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `('
script: line 1: `cat <(printf "aaa\nbbb\n") <(printf "111\n222\n")'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stdin not tty when try to pine or redirect

My supervisor keep getting "stdin not tty" or something like that when he pipe or redirect input into a program. Others don't seem to get this message. Is there some way I can help him to fix or turn this off? Thx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Micz
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect STDIN

can you redirect STDIN with command arguments? I have tried this approach: # ./script -option <argument1> <argument2> 0<$2 # $2: ambiguous redirect Is this possible? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
4 Replies

3. Programming

Redirect stdin and out to sockets

For windows was pretty simple to redirect the std in a and out of a child process for "cmd.exe " command prompt terminal to a socket using connected pipes passed to a new process in the STARTUPINFO structure. BOOL b = ::CreatePipe((LPHANDLE)h_stdInRead,(LPHANDLE)hsdtInWriteTmp, &SecAttrib,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gyula
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

inline redirect stdin

Hi: I have the next script on ksh #!/usr/bin/ksh cd $FUENTES qdesign <<-! \$/opt/cognos/ph843e/bin/qtp <<-! \$/opt/cognos/ph843e/bin/quiz <<-! ! ! ! This script is very simple, i want to nest three process quiz into qtp, and this into qdesign. When I run it , i receive the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ct2marer
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

inline redirect stdin

Hi: I have the next script on ksh #!/usr/bin/ksh cd $FUENTES qdesign <<-! \$/opt/cognos/ph843e/bin/qtp <<-! \$/opt/cognos/ph843e/bin/quiz <<-! ! ! ! This script is very simple, i want to nest three process quiz into qtp, and this into qdesign. When I run it , i receive the next... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ct2marer
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading from stdin in a shell script

Hello, I've managed to get my .procmailrc file to work. At least it triggers a script which creates a file. But the file is empty. How do I get at the data that's been piped? I've done much creative googling to no avail. I belive it should be in stdin, but I can't figure out how to access... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmesford
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect stdin stdout to multiple files

Hi, i know how to a) redirect stdout and stderr to one file, b) and write to two files concurrently with same output using tee command Now, i want to do both the above together. I have a script and it should write both stdout and stderr in one file and also write the same content to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to pass multiple stdin to prorgam?

Running on AIX 5.3L. I have a program "foo" written in Fortran that requires 3 levels of inputs from stdin (command prompt). > foo Enter Input 1: a Enter Input 2: b Enter Input 3: c running foo success! > How do I get a shell script to run this automatically? > echo "a" | foo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: discoganya
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect String to STDIN

Looking for the proper way to bring a string into the stdin. I have a string that I would like to grep and awk. Each have to be run separately, not piped together. So far, the only way I could figure out how is to echo the string and pipe it: echo 'This is my string' | grep my (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Panman82
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect string from bash stderr to user stdin

Hi there, I need to execute a command in the bash. The program prints some standard (output and) error and then wants the user to choose one of several options and type the according input. I am trying to solve this issue in a bash script but also running into some circular dependency. How can I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredestet
7 Replies
BASHBUG(1)						      General Commands Manual							BASHBUG(1)

NAME
bashbug - report a bug in bash SYNOPSIS
bashbug [--version] [--help] [email-address] DESCRIPTION
bashbug is a shell script to help the user compose and mail bug reports concerning bash in a standard format. bashbug invokes the editor specified by the environment variable EDITOR on a temporary copy of the bug report format outline. The user must fill in the appropriate fields and exit the editor. bashbug then mails the completed report to bug-bash@gnu.org, or email-address. If the report cannot be mailed, it is saved in the file dead.bashbug in the invoking user's home directory. The bug report format outline consists of several sections. The first section provides information about the machine, operating system, the bash version, and the compilation environment. The second section should be filled in with a description of the bug. The third sec- tion should be a description of how to reproduce the bug. The optional fourth section is for a proposed fix. Fixes are encouraged. ENVIRONMENT
bashbug will utilize the following environment variables if they exist: EDITOR Specifies the preferred editor. If EDITOR is not set, bashbug defaults to emacs. HOME Directory in which the failed bug report is saved if the mail fails. TMPDIR Directory in which to create temporary files and directories. SEE ALSO
bash(1) AUTHORS
Brian Fox, Free Software Foundation bfox@gnu.org Chet Ramey, Case Western Reserve University chet@po.cwru.edu GNU Bash-4.0 1998 July 30 BASHBUG(1)