Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ldapsearch time limit
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ldapsearch time limit Post 302286237 by jayjabour on Tuesday 10th of February 2009 02:50:19 PM
Old 02-10-2009
ldapsearch time limit

We have an application that uses Active directory to authenticate the users. the admins of the app. were complaining because the windows domain controller they are going against is not very stable. I wrote a shell script using ldapsearch to look up a user against the domain controller their app uses, and if it can't complete the lookup it pages them that LDAP may be down. here is the command i am using:
ldapsearch -h 10.168.170.100 -b "dc=nslijhs,dc=net" -D svc-bdvr -w 5703ibm '(Cn=svc-psft)'

this works fine, my question is what is the default time limit it waits for the search to complete before coming back it can't do the lookup. I am not using the -l switch which is supposed to specify how long it waits. when I searched the web for ldapsearch it shows that switch and explains it, but never says if it is not part of the command how long it actually waits.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limit login time...

How do I limit the amount of idle time an account gets on solaris? Thanks. VJ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vancouver_joe
2 Replies

2. AIX

failed login time limit

Hello, we had a situation where an account was locked out due to too many failed login attempts. From the logs (failedlogin, etc) it appears that AIX 'remembered' the failed login attempts from the past month or so. does anyone know where this is set, or how long it will remember the number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zuessh
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to set a time limit for a script

Hello Folks, I have been asked to write a test script which can be run by students. the script should have a time limit. I have almost completed it except the bit of timing! I've seen something like this: on_timeout() { echo "$USER $score " >> theresult.txt echo "Time out!... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SultanKSA
2 Replies

4. Programming

LDAPSEARCH in C

Hi all, I've been searching for ldapsearch function these few days. Still I couldn't found the solution. I would like to translate this query ldapsearch -x -LLL -h new_IP -p new_Port -D "cn=jw" -w "dummy" -b "id=2311,o=WC,c=jp" -s sub to ldap_search_ext_s() function in C program. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tailangong
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need assistance on using ldapsearch

Never knew of this command ldapsearch, but I would like to use it to lookup a single user and return where their office is. Is this possible? I'm totally starting from scratch. I already saw some of the gurus say read the man page, which is pretty greek when you don't know the details of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srhadden
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem in time limit of a job on slurm

Hello everyone. I am trying to do a parallel computation and the computation continues for like an hour and then it stops with the error: slurmd: *** JOB 785385 CANCELLED AT 2012-02-08T20:18:42 DUE TO TIME LIMIT *** Please can anyone tell me what is going on and how to fix the error...I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lebphys78
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Limit: stacksize: Can't remove limit

Hi all, I'm using to Solaris machine. When I run a simple script this messenger come out:"limit: stacksize: Can't remove limit". Any one know the way to resolve this problem without reboot the machine? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diabolist9
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Time limit on ifconfig wlan0 down?

Is there a time limit ifconfig wlan0 down? I used that command to take my wireless down. sudo ifconfig wlan0 downWhen I came back about 6 hours later it was working without me bringing my wireless back up. I am the only one that uses my computer or that knows the root password. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

Ldapsearch problem

Hi I'm not familiar with ldap and I hope someone to help me. I need to get some attribute value from ldap DB. When i run the following command is OK: ldapsearch -h localhost -p 16611 -x -D cn=user -w passwd -b msisdn=359502479649,dc=MSISDN,DC=C-NTDB "(objectClass=SUBINNSS)" refinmocNAME the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasil
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

Postfix keeps returning "Command time limit exceeded" message

We are having issues with our Postfix. The POP and IMAP services randomly stops working an sent e-mails return a "Command time limit exceeded". We've found out that running these command fix the problem: service cyrus-imapd stop rm /var/lib/imap/tls_sessions.db* rm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GustavoAlvarado
2 Replies
ad(5)							Standards, Environments, and Macros						     ad(5)

NAME
ad - Active Directory as a naming repository DESCRIPTION
Solaris clients can obtain naming information from Active Directory (AD) servers. The Solaris system must first join an AD domain and then add the ad keyword to the appropriate entries in the nsswitch.conf(4) file. The Solaris system joins the AD domain by using the kclient(1M) utility. The AD name service only supports the naming databases for passwd and group. Windows users are not able to log in. The user_attr(4) database has no entries for Windows users, and the passwd(1) command does not sup- port the synchronization of user passwords with AD. The Solaris AD client uses auto-discovery techniques to find AD directory servers, such as domain controllers and global catalog servers. The client also uses the LDAP v3 protocol to access naming information from AD servers. The AD server schema requires no modification because the AD client works with native AD schema. The Solaris AD client uses the idmap(1M) service to map between Windows security identi- fiers (SIDs) and Solaris user identifiers (UIDs) and group identifiers (GIDs). User names and group names are taken from the sAMAccountName attribute of the AD user and group objects and then tagged with the domain where the objects reside. The domain name is separated from the user name or group name by the @ character. The client uses the SASL/GSSAPI/KRB5 security model. The kclient utility is used to join the client to AD. During the join operation, kclient configures Kerberos v5 on the client. See kclient(1M). FILES
/etc/nsswitch.conf Configuration file for the name-service switch. /etc/nsswitch.ad Sample configuration file for the name-service switch configured with ad, dns and files. /usr/lib/nss_ad.so.1 Name service switch module for AD. SEE ALSO
passwd(1), svcs(1), idmap(1M), idmapd(1M), kclient(1M), svcadm(1M), svccfg(1M), svccfg(1M), nsswitch.conf(4), user_attr(4), smf(5) SunOS 5.11 22 Oct 2008 ad(5)