Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sending a mail from unix script doubt Post 302285762 by rajesh_tns on Monday 9th of February 2009 03:35:21 PM
Old 02-09-2009
Sending a mail from unix script doubt

HI

i usually send an a file attachment in a mail from unix like following.

mailx -s 'Job Success' someoner@gmail.com < attachment.log

But I have observed in several threads that we can also use uuencode and uudecode.

What are they? when should we use uudecode and uuencode

please explainin with an example..

thanks in advance
rajesh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt in sending mail

Hi Friends, The command used is : mail <username> < kk kk is a file containing: 02:12:00.897892 Loading the following CompanyName1: 02:12:00.898109 Loading the following CompanyName2: 02:12:00.898261 Loading the following CompanyErrorContact1: 02:12:00.898452 Loading the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijaysabari
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending Mail Thru Unix Script

What are all the things that should be configured in order to send a mail from Unix box. An eg. program of sending a mail will help me a lot!!!!!! Thanks in advance -Om (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Omkumar
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending mail thu unix

Hello everybody. Is it possible in unix to send a mail to my acount like (abcd@xyz.com) if yes then how ?? Thank You !! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellotosatish
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sending mail from unix is failing

i am sending mails from my unix server to my mail id i used sendmail option previously it ran successfully now it is not sending mails what might be the problem this is the message i am getting in /var/mail/abcdev file how to rectify this? ----- The following addresses had permanent... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
1 Replies

5. Programming

Sending mail in C/C++ in unix server

Hi Frnds, I have a task in my project wherein i have to send out a mail from my C++ code.With some file attachements.Please help me in this. At a higher level wat i can tell is my code generated 3 csv file and i have to send these files as attachement. My code is executed in unix... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: electroon
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix:mail sending issue..pls help me soon

Hi people Can u help me aorund on this cat $DISTRIBUTION_LIST | tail -1 | read mailtolist test -s $INOVOICES.dat if then echo " Sales Report generted" | read subject mailx -ms "${subject}." $mailtolist RET_CODE=$? if ; then echo "Messaging Failed." >> $LOG_FILE exit 1 fi else... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobprabhu
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sending mail from unix

Hi, I am using mailx command to send mail through Unix. But I am able to send mail only within my domain. If i want to send mail to some other server, it's not working. Like say If I want to send mail to someone on gmail or yahoo it's not working. but it's working fine within my company domain.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anki_1
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending mail in unix

Dear Friends, I have a shell script where the mail is being sent like this: /usr/lib/sendmail -v ${CPA_ADMIN} CPA_ADMIN="xx@abc.com" Can we specify more than one email ids in this variable? Is ther eany limit to the number of email ids I can specify in this variable, to whom the mail... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Radhe
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue on sending a mail with attachment using unix script ?

Issue on sending a mail with attachment using unix script ? Below is my code and is working fine and there is a issue in the attachment, the attachment file printing as a text-encripted message in the mail draft box instead of putting as a attachment (cat $msg; uuencode $attach1 in1.txt ;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gksenthilkumar
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending e-mail from unix

Hello, I want to send an email from unix. I tried following commands: mailx -s "hello" manish.xxx@xxx.com < echo_manish and echo "Testing Mail" | mailx -s "hello" manish.xxx@xxx.com but in both the commands nothing is happening. I mean it is neither giving any error nor I am receiving... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishdivs
7 Replies
uuencode(1)						      General Commands Manual						       uuencode(1)

NAME
uuencode, uudecode - Encodes or decodes a binary file SYNOPSIS
uuencode [file] remotefile uudecode [file...] STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: uudecode: XCU5.0 uuencode: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. DESCRIPTION
The uuencode and uudecode commands are used to send a binary file via uucp or other mail. This combination can be used over indirect mail links even when uusend is not available. The uuencode command takes the named file (default standard input) and produces an encoded version on the standard output. The encoding uses only printing ASCII characters, and includes the mode of the file and the name for re-creation on the remote system, specified by remotefile. The uudecode command reads an encoded file, strips off any leading and trailing lines added by mailers, and recreates the original file with the specified mode and name. Filter the encode through the uudecode program. Filtering the file causes the original file to be auto- matically recreated. This is possible on the uucp network by using sendmail or by making rmail be a link to mailx. In each case, an alias must be created in a master file to get the automatic invocation of uudecode. If neither of the preceding facilities is available on a user's system, uudecode can be applied to the file manually by editing the file with any text editor, removing the trailing and leading lines, and changing the mode or remote system name. The encoded file is an ordinary text file. EXAMPLES
In the following example, the ex1 file is encoded; the output is also redirected to the ex1.out file: prompt> uuencode ex1 ex1.en > ex1.out If the source ex1 file is as follows: This example shows how to encode a file using uuencode and how to decode a file using uudecode. The encoded ex1.out file would be as follows: begin 644 ex1.en M5&AI<R!E>&%M<&QE('-H;W=S"G1H92!H;W<@=&@96YC;V1E"F$@9FEL92!U M<VEN9PIU=65N8V]D90IA;F0@:&]W('1O"F1E8V]D92!A(&9I;&4*=7-I;F<@ *=75D96-O9&4N"F]D ` end In the following example, the ex1.out file is decoded: prompt> uudecode ex1.out In this example, the uudecode command decodes the file and puts the output in ex1.en. To package up a source tree using tar, com- press it, uuencode it, and mail it to a user on another system, enter: tar cf - src_tree | compress | uuencode src_tree.tar.Z | mail sys1!sys2!user1 (Enter the command entirely on one line, not on two lines as shown above.) When uudecode is run on the target system, the src_tree.tar.Z file is created; it may then be uncompressed and dearchived with tar. SEE ALSO
Commands: ct(1), cu(1), mailx(1), Mail(1), rmail(1), sendmail(8), tip(1), uucico(8), uucleanup(8), uucp(1), uulog(1), uuname(1), uupick(1), uusched(8), uusend(1), uustat(1), uuto(1), uux(1) Standards: standards(5) uuencode(1)