Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: user administration
Operating Systems Solaris user administration Post 302283908 by Gibby13 on Wednesday 4th of February 2009 10:14:25 AM
Old 02-04-2009
should be -g test(primary group) -G test1 (secondary group)

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

remote user administration

Hello, I inhearited several solaris machines (read that about 30 of them) and have a need to be able to manage the user accounts remotely.... Currently the machines all have the same users but not exactly the same spelling (each machine was locally managed before and thus every single passwd/shadow... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wgriffin
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User Administration

I have an application that runs on Unix and the user administration is managed at a Unix level. The application has an application ID which is linked to the user ids which are created at Unix level. Can you please help if I can be able to track which user used the Application ID and what action was... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kopano
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tru64 User administration

Hey guys how do you check if an account is locked in tru64, and how do you unlock it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sbn
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris User Administration

Hi All..... How many maximum no of users can be created in solaris 10.0 Waiting for the reply ..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendhils13
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris User Administration

unable to run smgroup / smadd command to create or modify the users and directories. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sendhils13
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Zone administration

hi frnds I created sparse root zone, in that zone when i try to change the passwd it is giving permission denied. what is the reason and how to chnage the root passwd in the zone. can u please explain the query. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravan ega
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

User administration

Dear All, I need to restrict the users in our server. 1.History & history -c command working all groups & others.So i need to restrict history -c option for groups & others . 2.Any option available to view user activity with all Eg--->user1 Jul22 10:20:11 date 3.Any other Special... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpoobathi
7 Replies

8. AIX

AIX user administration - queue management

Dear All Please how can I create a user which would be only able to manage queue printer like creating, release, hold etc a printer queue. He would for example be able to enter commands like : - lpstat -pprintqueue where printqueue is an existing queue on the server - enable printqueue... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sobnc
0 Replies
groupadd(1M)                                              System Administration Commands                                              groupadd(1M)

NAME
groupadd - add (create) a new group definition on the system SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/groupadd [ -g gid [-o]] group DESCRIPTION
The groupadd command creates a new group definition on the system by adding the appropriate entry to the /etc/group file. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -g gid Assigns the group id gid for the new group. This group id must be a non-negative decimal integer below MAXUID as defined in /usr/include/sys/param.h. The group ID defaults to the next available (unique) number above the highest number currently assigned. For example, if groups 100, 105, and 200 are assigned as groups, the next default group number will be 201. (Group IDs from 0-99 are reserved by SunOS for future applications.) -o Allows the gid to be duplicated (non-unique). OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: group A string consisting of characters from the set of lower case alphabetic characters and numeric characters. A warning message will be written if the string exceeds MAXGLEN, which is usually set at eight characters. The group field must contain at least one character; it accepts lower case or numeric characters or a combination of both, and must not contain a colon (:) or NEWLINE. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 2 Invalid command syntax. A usage message for the groupadd command is displayed. 3 An invalid argument was provided to an option. 4 The gid is not unique (when -o option is not used). 9 The group is not unique. 10 The /etc/group file cannot be updated. FILES
/etc/group /usr/include/userdefs.h ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
users(1B), groupdel(1M), groupmod(1M), grpck(1M), logins(1M), pwck(1M), useradd(1M), userdel(1M), usermod(1M), group(4), attributes(5) NOTES
groupadd only adds a group definition to the local system. If a network name service such as NIS or NIS+ is being used to supplement the local /etc/group file with additional entries, groupadd cannot change information supplied by the network name service. However, groupadd will verify the uniqueness of group name and group ID against the external name service. SunOS 5.10 27 Mar 1998 groupadd(1M)