Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Getting started with Solaris
Operating Systems Solaris Getting started with Solaris Post 302283590 by Starky on Tuesday 3rd of February 2009 03:15:28 PM
Old 02-03-2009
Thanks avronius. To give you a bit more detail, I'm currently in the process of applying for an internship with Sun Microsystems which is why I'm trying to boost my knowledge in some of their products.

Having a lot of prior Unix experience isn't really at the top of their priorities as much as being able to learn quickly, which is what I'm trying to demonstrate, as well as having a genuine interest in becoming familiar with Unix platforms.

My intent was to create a new partition on my HDD for Open-Solaris (already have one set up with Vista for some of the CAD applications and Development Environments I use through my studies), rather than completely switching over to it!

In response to the type of things I'm interested in learning before my next formal interview (month and a half away), networking and administration would likely be the most useful, perhaps security as well.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Just getting started

Can anyone tell me what the command Banner means or does Gibby9 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gibby9
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I get started.

I am new to all this UNIX thing and have a system with the following specs: Pentium 1.7 GHz 128MB RAM 20 GB HDD Windows ME My questions are: Can install and run UNIX in such a system? Do I have to stop using Windows? Is there a safe way to get the necessary software online? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayalai
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help getting started

Dear all, I just found out that my company is thinking of installing a unix server and is considering either sun or ibm. The thing is that i want to learn these two systems before they take a decision and maybe it will be a big career booster. The problem is that i don't know anything about... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: patslaiby
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help getting started!!!!

Hi im a 15 year old, interested in beggining things like this...my main inpiration came from this article...How To Become A Hacker according to this my first language shouold be python...but i have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE about where to dowload/learn it...is there anything else i should do along... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SonOfSparta
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 CDE problem - The DT messaging system could not be started

A Google search with: +Solaris +"The DT messaging system could not be started" returns 138 hits. All of the relevant possible solutions are in this document. My apologies for such a long document but I thought I would try to minimize the resolution attempts that I've already tried. System... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rpollard001
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting Started with Unix....

Hi all I'm a beginner in Unix world.I want to know from where i should start Book,E-Book.web site ,...etc by the way how many version does unix have? i should install which version? How to install it? and very important,is there any simulator for training purpose? for example can i install unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZarrinPour
2 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

I'm new and I am trying to get started with OS-X

I bought my first Mac a year ago December, and I love it. I have been interested in trying to write my own programs and don't even know where to start. I have never written any software before and was wondering if anyone could give me some recommendations on any books or other good websites that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LittleWoman815
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting started

hi world, I am trying to learn how to program in c, I've gotten a few books and have been reading them, one even came with bloodshed dev-c compiler, it is not working, every time I build the hello world program it always comes back saying " G__~1.EXE: installation problem, cannot exec `cpp': No... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jsayres
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting Started

Hello guys and dolls, first post happening here... Wanting to know where to start with Unix. Which Unix option/package is best for an absolute beginner and has a well documented, easy to grasp user guide(s). I have dabbled in some programming (basic PHP) and I have an old desktop pc which I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheUltimateNoob
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 8, you boot the system but does not have anything on the screen (not started)

Greetings to all. I have two computers, Sun Blade 150. the first, had the Solaris 8 system, and that system needed to clone the "second" to start it with the same settings. Use a program to clone the drive, and then have cloned, had the error: Can't read disk label. Can't open disk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: feliz-58
4 Replies
grub(5) 						Standards, Environments, and Macros						   grub(5)

NAME
grub - GRand Unified Bootloader software on Solaris DESCRIPTION
The current release of the Solaris operating system is shipped with the GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader) software. GRUB is developed and supported by the Free Software Foundation. The overview for the GRUB Manual, accessible at www.gnu.org, describes GRUB: Briefly, a boot loader is the first software program that runs when a computer starts. It is responsible for loading and transferring con- trol to an operating system kernel software (such as Linux or GNU Mach). The kernel, in turn, initializes the rest of the operating system (for example, a GNU [Ed. note: or Solaris] system). GNU GRUB is a very powerful boot loader that can load a wide variety of free, as well as proprietary, operating systems, by means of chain- loading. GRUB is designed to address the complexity of booting a personal computer; both the program and this manual are tightly bound to that computer platform, although porting to other platforms may be addressed in the future. [Ed. note: Sun has ported GRUB to the Solaris operating system.] One of the important features in GRUB is flexibility; GRUB understands filesystems and kernel executable formats, so you can load an arbi- trary operating system the way you like, without recording the physical position of your kernel on the disk. Thus you can load the kernel just by specifying its file name and the drive and partition where the kernel resides. Among Solaris machines, GRUB is supported on x86 platforms. The GRUB software that is shipped with Solaris adds two utilities not present in the open-source distribution: bootadm(1M) Enables you to manage the boot archive and make changes to the GRUB menu. installgrub(1M) Loads the boot program from disk. Both of these utilities are described in Solaris man pages. Beyond these two Solaris-specific utilities, the GRUB software is described in the GRUB manual, a PDF version of which is available from the Sun web site. Available in the same location is the grub(8) open-source man page. This man page describes the GRUB shell. SEE ALSO
boot(1M), bootadm(1M), installgrub(1M) Solaris Express Installation Guide: Basic Installations System Administration Guide: Basic Administration http://www.gnu.org/software/grub SunOS 5.11 21 Apr 2005 grub(5)