Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers compress/decompress don't take you back to the same file Post 302283176 by Lakris on Monday 2nd of February 2009 06:25:21 PM
Old 02-02-2009
Ok, well that was just my first idea, that since tar contains META information, there are a lot of thing that could affect the final size of an archive. I wouldn't trust tar size alone as the criteria.
Are the files created with the same version of tar?
/L

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[help] Cant compress file

Anybody know what happened here? 162 lab2-36:~/try_direct/another> compress url.txt url.txt: -- file unchanged (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: endeavour1985
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

compress more than one file

hi, I need to compress a couple files in a directory.i tried using tar cvf filename1 filename2 but i am not able to open tar file. please suggest how to compress more than one file in to same file thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasee
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Decompress a .SP file

Hi to all, I'm new in this forum and I just need a quick answer from the experts out there, I have a 2761.sp file, in short a ".SP" file, it was given to me compressed, and I need to decompress it before Monday. I saw a software named Splint, but it shows an error, a DMI error message, so I dont... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeco
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix script to takes the old data from a TXT file and compress them into new file

Hi, I am looking for the unix script which can takes the 2 month old data from a TXT file (there is one txt file in whiche messages are appended on daily basis) and compress them into new file.Please halp me out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpandey
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using gunzip to decompress .zip file

Hi, I have a zipped Oralce software (linux.x64_11gR1_database.zip) and I need to unzip it. On the Linux server, I only see the gunzip utility listed: $ ls -ltr *zip* -rwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60320 Jan 15 2008 gzip -rwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60320 Jan 15 2008 gunzip Can I use the command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syang68
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Decompress (with gunzip) recursively, but do not delete original gz file

Hi all, I have a folder hierarchy with many gz files in them. I would like to recursively decompress them, but keep the original files. I would also like to move all the decompressed files (these are very large HDF5 files with .CP12 extension) to another data folder. Currently I am using four... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gansvv
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please, I want to decompress a file.bin "firmware"

Please, help me Please, I want to decompress a file firmware for a 2000 SAT HD Please note that I use Version ubuntu 10.04 lts file name : .................. NxpRom.bin .................. Or How do I use and is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: samy2012
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar to decompress and to convert file to .dat format

tar -tvf abc.tar.gz gives me the file name abc.Is it possible to rename the file to abc.dat while decompressing using tar ? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vedanta
2 Replies
TAR(1)							      General Commands Manual							    TAR(1)

NAME
tar - archiver SYNOPSIS
tar key [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Tar saves and restores file trees. It is most often used to transport a tree of files from one system to another. The key is a string that contains at most one function letter plus optional modifiers. Other arguments to the command are names of files or directories to be dumped or restored. A directory name implies all the contained files and subdirectories (recursively). The function is one of the following letters: c Create a new archive with the given files as contents. x Extract the named files from the archive. If a file is a directory, the directory is extracted recursively. Modes are restored if possible. If no file argument is given, extract the entire archive. If the archive contains multiple entries for a file, the lat- est one wins. t List all occurrences of each file in the archive, or of all files if there are no file arguments. r The named files are appended to the archive. The modifiers are: v (verbose) Print the name of each file treated preceded by the function letter. With t, give more details about the archive entries. f Use the next argument as the name of the archive instead of the default standard input (for keys x and t) or standard output (for keys c and r). u Use the next (numeric) argument as the user id for files in the output archive. This is only useful when moving files to a non-Plan 9 system. g Use the next (numeric) argument as the group id for files in the output archive. EXAMPLES
Tar can be used to copy hierarchies thus: {cd fromdir; tar c .} | {cd todir; tar x} SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/tar.c SEE ALSO
ar(1), bundle(1), tapefs(1) BUGS
There is no way to ask for any but the last occurrence of a file. File path names are limited to 100 characters. The tar format allows specification of links and symbolic links, concepts foreign to Plan 9: they are ignored. TAR(1)