Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers test if string contains another string Post 302282552 by klogger on Saturday 31st of January 2009 06:15:34 PM
Old 01-31-2009
test if string contains another string

I have already received one answer a part of my problem and I thought I could move on without help from there but I am failing miserably.

I am using a source control system called mercurial which, from /bin/sh script I can do this:

Code:
requiredText="This file has been modified"
hgLogOutput=`hg log -v -r $HG_NODE`
filePaths="${hgLogOutput#*files: }" filePaths="${filePaths%description:*}"

declare -a Array=($filePaths)
for filePath in $filePaths; do
    requiredText=hg cat $filePath | grep -F $requiredText
done

You may be able to see that my code fails on the:

Code:
requiredText=hg cat $filePath | grep -F $requiredText

I am trying to check if:

Code:
hg cat $filePath

contains the:

Code:
$requiredText

shell programming has to be the most difficult language I can imagine. Any help appreciated; it has taken me a day to write that which I have so far - and even then with help!

Last edited by klogger; 01-31-2009 at 09:18 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

string test?

hey guys- what is the syntax for a string test to verify that a user has entered a 6 digit numeric? Thanks for your help in advance! Todd (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedrict
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

test a string...

Hi! I'm using echo $string | grep "" -c to test in a script if a string is a number and it seems to work. But how can i find, for example, if a string is a four figures number ? Thanks to all! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kaminski
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test on string containing spacewhile test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = quitC then break fi d

This is the code: while test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = stop then break fi done I read a command on every loop an execute it. I check if the string equals the word stop to end the loop,but it say that I gave too many arguments to test. For example echo hello. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Max89
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

string test in IF statement

How do I test multiple words in a string test like below: if ] then print "You entered $TBS name.\n" else print "You entered an incorrect response.\n" fi This test does not work. I have tried different syntax versions. How does this work? And is there a better way to do it? ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: djehresmann
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test if string exists

How do I use bash to test whether a string occurs more than two times in a file? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

string test

How do I use bash to test if a line begins with a random number of spaces followed by a letter? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

test for a blank string

Hi guys I am performing a simple test for a blank string with the following code: if ] ]] ; then echo "Blanks are NOT a valid input " return 1 fi The above fails giving a syntax error message: syntax error at line 142 : `=~' unexpected I am in ksh88 is there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To test whether a field contains string value

I want to find whether string values are available in a field of a file. Let it be any character other than number . I just want to know whether characters will be available in it . Please share a single step command for this without creating a shell script. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sang
5 Replies
BZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  BZEXE(1)

NAME
bzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
bzexe [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
The bzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``bzexe /bin/cat'' it will create the following two files: -r-xr-xr-x 1 root bin 9644 Feb 11 11:16 /bin/cat -r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 24576 Nov 23 13:21 /bin/cat~ /bin/cat~ is the original file and /bin/cat is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /bin/cat~ once you are sure that /bin/cat works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
bzip2(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some other utilities (tail, chmod, ln, sleep). BUGS
bzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. BZEXE(1)