Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: utilities
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users utilities Post 302280503 by pludi on Tuesday 27th of January 2009 05:38:41 AM
Old 01-27-2009
sed -e 's/^0*//' -e 's/\(\s\)0*/\1/g' sample

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zmodem Utilities

Where can I find Zmodem utilities for Soloris 7 ie: rz sz thnx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmartJuniorUnix
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compression utilities

I've noticed bzip2 gives a little bit better compression than gzip. So...I'm curious...what's gives the best compression out of all the compression utilities? Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalburger
6 Replies

3. HP-UX

version of the utilities

Hi, Can anyone tell me how i can know the version of the utilities (to be specific "make" and "ar") in HP-UX ver 11.00. thanks, abey. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abey
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Utilities

Hi, My input file is like this 1 11110001 1.1.1.1.1 2 12222212 2.3.44.5.6 3 22223333 1.3.2.4.1.55 Now i need the 2nd column value get printed I tried with the following command awk 'NR==1 {print $2}' input this works fine for only 1st row.I need to change always NR assigned value to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyo123.jyothi
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bc and wc utilities???

Hi, Can anybody explain bc and wc system utilities in Unix? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to run utilities

I have utilities installed on a UNIX platform and was wondering how i run them. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hershey101
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

non GNU utilities

Hi Chaps, Does anyone know of a source of proprietary unix utilities. I often fall into the trap of testing a spot of code on my linux machine, posting the answer in the forums and then realise that the solution may only work with the GNU utils that I use, and not standard posix ones (if there are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wempy
4 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Utilities for CSV

I'd like to be able to do something like 'select column_a column_c column_b from file.csv'. Scripting it probably wouldn't be too extraordinarily difficult but I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if someone's built a better one already. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab utilities

Hi gurus/lead, I have one doubt in crontab. I have shell script source code in one server. where I don't have priviliges acess R/W the shell script in that server. how can I setup the crontab to pick the code from the other unix server ? whether is there any possibility. in my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
1 Replies
REBOOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 REBOOT(8)

NAME
reboot, halt, fastboot, fasthalt -- stopping and restarting the system SYNOPSIS
halt [-lnpq] [-k kernel] reboot [-dlnpq] [-k kernel] fasthalt [-lnpq] [-k kernel] fastboot [-dlnpq] [-k kernel] DESCRIPTION
The halt and reboot utilities flush the file system cache to disk, send all running processes a SIGTERM (and subsequently a SIGKILL) and, respectively, halt or restart the system. The action is logged, including entering a shutdown record into the user accounting database. The options are as follows: -d The system is requested to create a crash dump. This option is supported only when rebooting, and it has no effect unless a dump device has previously been specified with dumpon(8). -k kernel Boot the specified kernel on the next system boot. If the kernel boots successfully, the default kernel will be booted on successive boots, this is a one-shot option. If the boot fails, the system will continue attempting to boot kernel until the boot process is interrupted and a valid kernel booted. This may change in the future. -l The halt or reboot is not logged to the system log. This option is intended for applications such as shutdown(8), that call reboot or halt and log this themselves. -n The file system cache is not flushed. This option should probably not be used. -p The system will turn off the power if it can. If the power down action fails, the system will halt or reboot normally, depending on whether halt or reboot was called. -q The system is halted or restarted quickly and ungracefully, and only the flushing of the file system cache is performed (if the -n option is not specified). This option should probably not be used. The fasthalt and fastboot utilities are nothing more than aliases for the halt and reboot utilities. Normally, the shutdown(8) utility is used when the system needs to be halted or restarted, giving users advance warning of their impending doom and cleanly terminating specific programs. SEE ALSO
getutxent(3), boot(8), dumpon(8), nextboot(8), savecore(8), shutdown(8), sync(8) HISTORY
A reboot utility appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
October 11, 2010 BSD