Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Updating the comments field on /etc/passwd Post 302279541 by otheus on Friday 23rd of January 2009 03:47:24 AM
Old 01-23-2009
When it looks like it is outputting the right commands, remove the "TEST=echo" line. This was in my original post. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to extract a field from /etc/passwd file..

Hello, was looking for some help on extracting a field from the passwd file. So far I have made a copy of the passwd file and changed my rights so I can edit it. Every user's password is coded as an :x:, and my goal was to change that x to a blank, and then try to extract any user with that field... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xBuRnTx
2 Replies

2. Programming

lint comments

Hi can anyone help me regarding the meaning of the following lint messages. what is the use of having such lint comments in the c program. /*lint -esym(534,cputs,fgets,cprintf) */ /*lint -efile(766,pragmas.h) */ Thanks a lot in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk updating one file with another, comparing, updating

Hello, I read and search through this wonderful forum and tried different approaches but it seems I lack some knowledge and neurones ^^ Here is what I'm trying to achieve : file1: test filea 3495; test fileb 4578; test filec 7689; test filey 9978; test filez 12300; file2: test filea... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mecano
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for updating the comments field on /etc/passwd on redhat linux

Hi there, I have more that 300 servers that I need to updated the comments field on /etc/passwd for users that have a blank comments fields. The users have accounts on different servers. I have created a list of these users on a text file called update_passwd.txt. I need a script that will... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Duke
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Updating a field in a File without creating temp file's

Hi Experts, I have a requirement where i need to update the below items in file, 1. END TIME 2. PREV_STATUS For the first time the PREV_status and end time of all job the job will be sysdate & NULL reply as below, Session_name,Load Type,Frequency,Seesion End time,Prev_Status... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhutkl
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed script, changing all C-comments to C++-comments

I must write a script to change all C++ like comments: // this is a comment to this one /* this is a comment */ How to do it by sed? With file: #include <cstdio> using namespace std; //one // two int main() { printf("Example"); // three }//four the result should be: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_hawk
2 Replies

7. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete Comments

Hello i am back :D, i have a prolem. I want to Delete the IPs which are in Comments. Input 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.2 #192.168.0.3 #192.168.0.4 - when TAB or Space, delete too. /*192.168.0.5 192.168.0.6 192.168.0.7*\ Output 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.2 My solution is sed -e... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: eightball
7 Replies

9. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Passwd -l or -u modifies lastchg field in /etc/shadow file

Hi, I have a Solaris 10 box where password aging is not functioning properly. Using the passwd command with the -l or -u options causes the lastchg field in the /etc/shadow file to be modified. Therefore, if a user's password is set to expire in 90 days and they are 1 day away, all they have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cschar
4 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.11 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)