Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting simple awk question to count columns Post 302279463 by npatwardhan on Thursday 22nd of January 2009 06:48:58 PM
Old 01-22-2009
simple awk question to count columns

hi all here is a very simple question.. i want to count the number of columns using awk..my file looks like this:

Code:

i want to count number of columns and i so far i have:

Code:
awk 'BEGIN {IFS=","} END {print NF}' data  > data1

i am getting 1 as my result.. what am i missing here? thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

simple awk question

Hello, I'm trying to use awk to print lines that match a regular expression. I am using awk to print a record only if it contains N/A. awk '/N/A/ {print $1}' When executed the script returns "awk syntax error near line 1". If I use /N//A/ it prints all records containing a "/", not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

simple awk question

Hi , I have a simple question in awk, i have long string which i am getting for a grep command. the output contains 50 fields. I need to display like first 5 fileds in a line and rest of all fields in the next line. { for(i=5;i<NF;++i) s= $i; print $1,$2,$3,$4,$5,"\n",$s} Is the above... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senthilkumar_ak
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple AWK question

Hi, let's assume i have an output below: orgauser 23826 :E:Validity senerse 2096 senerse 2111 senerse 21585 senerse 21596 root 12653 -bash root 17262 root 17278 Some lines have not any string in their third column. I don't want to see those lines. i just want to see the lines... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oduth
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk simple question

Can anyone tell me please what the "+" is doing in this awk command? find / -user smith -type f -ls | awk '{ sum += $7 } END {print sum }' Thanks, George (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: george_vandelet
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

count the number of instances in 2 columns using awk

Input A.1 Q.1 A.1 Q.2 A.1 Q.3 A.2 Q.4 Explanation: Final Output A.1 Q.1 s1 t1 A.1 Q.2 s1 t2 A.1 Q.3 s1 t3 A.2 Q.4 s5 t5 ---------- Post updated 09-28-12 at 03:38 AM ---------- Previous update was 09-27-12 at 09:10 AM ---------- Hi Guys, I was able to do until... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple awk question

Hi All, A very silly question: How to just print the integer attached a particular string in a line by awk? Ex: Happy_world_foo123...So i just want the value 123 to be printed on the line where we have string "foo". Thanks (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk help - Simple question

I have what a think is a simple question but I'm just a beginner in scripting. I'm my unix command line I run a date command that returns the following: Wed Apr 3 10:39:30 EDT 2013 How do I awk out the "10" only in awk? Or is awk the way to do it or is there a better way? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: scj2012
7 Replies

8. Programming

awk to count occurrence of strings and loop for multiple columns

Hi all, If i would like to process a file input as below: col1 col2 col3 ...col100 1 A C E A ... 3 D E G A 5 T T A A 6 D C A G how can i perform a for loop to count the occurences of letters in each column? (just like uniq -c ) in every column. on top of that, i would also like... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: iling14
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simple question about charecter count

Hi, I have collection of letters in a column such as: AA5678 AA9873434 .. .. I am trying to find the number of charecters in each. "echo "AA5678"|wc -c 7----------------> why does it give 7 instead of 6? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvosu
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple awk question

Here is an awk line I have in a bigger script that checks to see if nimsh process is running and does couple other things based on the output and runs on all servers. ps -ef|grep -i nimsh|awk '{print $9}' and I am expecting output to be "/usr/sbin/nimsh" I find that on some servers... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvosu
4 Replies
COLRM(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  COLRM(1)

NAME
colrm -- remove columns from a file SYNOPSIS
colrm [start [stop]] DESCRIPTION
The colrm utility removes selected columns from the lines of a file. A column is defined as a single character in a line. Input is read from the standard input. Output is written to the standard output. If only the start column is specified, columns numbered less than the start column will be written. If both start and stop columns are spec- ified, columns numbered less than the start column or greater than the stop column will be written. Column numbering starts with one, not zero. Tab characters increment the column count to the next multiple of eight. Backspace characters decrement the column count by one. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of colrm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The colrm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
awk(1), column(1), cut(1), paste(1) HISTORY
The colrm command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
August 4, 2004 BSD