Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Move root filesystem to other slice Post 302277142 by lamoul on Thursday 15th of January 2009 02:21:13 PM
Old 01-15-2009
Thanks lot!

Can i later put this copy of filesystem somewhere else or on thw tape, if i need to use ir later in case of emmergency, then can i restore it to / (root) to have the same thing back again???

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mounted Root Filesystem

In my Solaris 10 based server, I have noticed the following mounts when a use DF -K /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 5062414 3213876 1797914 65% / / 5062414 3213876 1797914 65% /net/se420 I understand the first mount because it appears in my vfstab file and is the mount of root that I would expect.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
1 Replies

2. Solaris

mirroring the boot slice (slice 8) on x86

Hi there I am about to mirror a Solaris 10 x86 box (SunFire X4100) onto a secondary disk using svm (current system is one disk). My question is this, on X86 boxes there is a slice 8 defined as boot partition (and also a slice 9, dunno what its used for tho). Do I need to mirror this boot slice... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move veritas filesystem space between Logical volumes

I have a veritas file system (fsA) that is nearing capacity. We have secondary file system (fsB). that is unused and would like to move some of it's disk space but I'm unsure as to how to do this with. /dev/vx/dsk/vg05/lvol05 25288704 21887258 3188911 88% ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steelysteel
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Ways to analyse root disk slice

Hi, Recently I faced with need of analyze root disk. I figured out two possible ways to do it: 1. Practical. Boot from CD and run format 2. Theoretical. Create live upgrade boot environment on another disk, activate it, reboot, unmont all root disk partitions and run format. I've already... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Root Filesystem

Hi, Can we install root file system on other than 0th slice???? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathiraju_t
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root filesystem filling up!

Hi all. New to the forum and new to Unix admin... / filesystem filled up and I can't find where the large files are. Any help will be apppreciated: # df -k Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 8063580 7941745 41200 100% / /proc ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_collins
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Resizing the Root Filesystem

Is it possible to increase the root filesystem size without reboot ?? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 2.6 - Duplicate Filesystem to a larger slice(same drive)

One of our production systems has a slice called "oldslice" that periodically runs low on space during normal operation. We have minimum requirements for online data retention, and whoever sized this slice didn't give it much wiggle room, so it periodically runs low on space. I'm getting tired of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the.gooch
1 Replies

9. Linux

root filesystem goes readonly

I see this when tried to create a dir using root fstab entries are pretty normal tried to remount with rw but it is still the same block device /dev/sda2 is write-protected ---------- Post updated at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:51 PM ---------- fstab entry ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: robo
4 Replies
DUMP(1M)																  DUMP(1M)

NAME
dump - incremental file system dump SYNOPSIS
dump [ key [ argument ... ] filesystem ] DESCRIPTION
Dump copies to magnetic tape all files changed after a certain date in the filesystem. The key specifies the date and other options about the dump. Key consists of characters from the set 0123456789fusd. f Place the dump on the next argument file instead of the tape. u If the dump completes successfully, write the date of the beginning of the dump on file `/etc/ddate'. This file records a separate date for each filesystem and each dump level. 0-9 This number is the `dump level'. All files modified since the last date stored in the file `/etc/ddate' for the same filesystem at lesser levels will be dumped. If no date is determined by the level, the beginning of time is assumed; thus the option 0 causes the entire filesystem to be dumped. s The size of the dump tape is specified in feet. The number of feet is taken from the next argument. When the specified size is reached, the dump will wait for reels to be changed. The default size is 2300 feet. d The density of the tape, expressed in BPI, is taken from the next argument. This is used in calculating the amount of tape used per write. The default is 1600. If no arguments are given, the key is assumed to be 9u and a default file system is dumped to the default tape. Now a short suggestion on how perform dumps. Start with a full level 0 dump dump 0u Next, periodic level 9 dumps should be made on an exponential progression of tapes. (Sometimes called Tower of Hanoi - 1 2 1 3 1 2 1 4 ... tape 1 used every other time, tape 2 used every fourth, tape 3 used every eighth, etc.) dump 9u When the level 9 incremental approaches a full tape (about 78000 blocks at 1600 BPI blocked 20), a level 1 dump should be made. dump 1u After this, the exponential series should progress as uninterrupted. These level 9 dumps are based on the level 1 dump which is based on the level 0 full dump. This progression of levels of dump can be carried as far as desired. FILES
default filesystem and tape vary with installation. /etc/ddate: record dump dates of filesystem/level. SEE ALSO
restor(1), dump(5), dumpdir(1) DIAGNOSTICS
If the dump requires more than one tape, it will ask you to change tapes. Reply with a new-line when this has been done. BUGS
Sizes are based on 1600 BPI blocked tape. The raw magtape device has to be used to approach these densities. Read errors on the filesys- tem are ignored. Write errors on the magtape are usually fatal. DUMP(1M)