Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK - HELP pls explain this ? Post 302277005 by cfajohnson on Thursday 15th of January 2009 05:39:50 AM
Old 01-15-2009

My first guess is that you are running on Solaris and that you should be using nawk rather than awk.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explain awk

Hi, I found this command in this forum, but, couldnt understand much from it. could any one help me understand that??? the commands are : awk '{sub(/ ~/,""); printf $0 ($0~/\|$/?ORS:"")}' file1 > file2 awk '{sub(/~ */,x);printf $0(/\|$/?ORS:x)}' awk '{sub(/~ */,x);sub(/\|$/, "|\n")}8'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hitmansilentass
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

plese explain awk '{print \$NF}'

please explain this awk '{print \$NF}' i have a command grep -i adding /logs/eap | grep -iv equation | awk '{print \$NF}' | sort -u | sed 's/\.\$//' >> /temp/t please explain the above awk and sed as well how it works and also what is \$NF (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting/awk help : awk sum output is not comming in regular format. Pls advise.

Hi Experts, I am adding a column of numbers with awk , however not getting correct output: # awk '{sum+=$1} END {print sum}' datafile 2.15291e+06 How can I getthe output like : 2152910 Thank you.. # awk '{sum+=$1} END {print sum}' datafile 2.15079e+06 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please explain this simple AWK example

awk '!_++' Most importantly, I want to know what the underscore does "!_" But ideally, please breakdown the whole thing. It is supposed to remove duplicate lines when found in a file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please explain what this Awk code is doing

Hi Guys, Please help me, I am new to programming and I don’t understand what some parts of this code are doing. I have comments on the parts I know, please help if my understanding of the code is not correct and also help with parts with questions. awk ' { gsub( ">",... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: James_Owen
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can Any people explain this awk command

Dear all , Can any people explain this awk command? What is the purpose of if (v++){b=$i;$i=""}? awk -F, '{for (i=1;i<=NF;i++){if (v++){b=$i;$i=""}};print $0} END { print "dups are" ;for ( i in b) print i}' OFS="," input_file This script is used to replace column duplicate value ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eldonlck
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explain this awk

found this handy one liner in another thread which is closed, it does what i need but im trying to understand it. it basically matches the field that contains the value v and prints its position awk -F, '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++)if($i==v)print i}' v=yourfield inputfile my understanding is assign... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack.bauer
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permissision issue, pls. explain

I have a directory, user name sam 755 drwxr-xr-x 3 sam oper 6 Apr 23 15:57 sam I log in as root, I can't write to sam folder. if the file already there, I can change that permission but it doesn't allow me to create any files in the above folder. Why, I thought root has... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

netstat -an output, pls. explain..

Hi, I have old SCO O/S. System keeps crashing. I made lot of changes to kernel but so for nothing helped. I wrote a script which takes netstat -an output every one minute. I saw some thing right before the system crashed. Not sure if this means anything.. uname -a SCO_SV djx2 3.2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explain awk

I have 2 files recevied abc def ghi totallist abc 123 jasdhfaj def 345 fjdgkfsfh ghi 567 dfjdhdhfj jkl 678 djkahfdjshdf xyz 984 jdfdhfhdh myOutputFile jkl 678 djkahfdjshdf xyz 984 jdfdhfhdh I used this command for the output : awk 'FNR==NR {f1;next} !($1 in f1)' recevied... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani1984
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)