Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Help installing VMWARE SERVER 2.0 Post 302275573 by cbkihong on Sunday 11th of January 2009 08:15:05 AM
Old 01-11-2009
This is from the VMWare server 1 documentation, but the same applies to version 2

http://pubs.vmware.com/server1/wwhel...tml/wwhelp.htm

If you set up NAT (network address translation), your VM can access the external network (presumably including the Internet) with your host machine (your physical machine) acting as a proxy using the network routes available on your host system. However, with this option you will not be able to access the VM from other machines except your host machine.

Host-only networking is an option if the VM doesn't need to access any outside network. Typically this is not desirable except if what you need is to set up an isolated VM environment for testing.

Please consider reading the relevant chapters in the documentation for further information.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem installing Solaris 8 on VMware 2.0.3

Hi folks! i've just downloaded the three SOlaris 8 Free install-CDs, then went to install it in a VM on VMware 2.0.3, okay DCA and CD inserted, DCA configured all devices - THEN at the selection of the boot device - selected CD - getting DISK READ ERROR at sector 120. Can anyone help?!!!... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: __kernelpanic
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

best config for vmware server

Hi All, I have a test to do. Run another redhat on top of redhat ent 4 AS. So I need to run vmware server linux version. My worry is that the physical server have so many big application on it but it's also test apps. Sorry in tight budget... It have a big memory, disk, etc. Two ips. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
3 Replies

3. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Installing Solaris10 from ISO image in VMware

While installing solaris10 from iso dvd image in vmware on windows i get the follworing error right after i select solaris 10 from grub menu panic/thread=fec20160: page_unlock: page fe2b5730 is not locked why is it doing this? installation does work if i have the physical dvd into... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dplinux
1 Replies

4. Linux

VMWare Server on FC13

Can someone provide some assistance with this. I'm trying to install vmware server but it's not going so well. $ uname -a Linux testunix 2.6.33.6-147.2.4.fc13.i686.PAE #1 SMP Fri Jul 23 17:21:06 UTC 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux # vmware-config.pl Making sure services for VMware Server are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: doublejz
1 Replies

5. SCO

Failure while installing SCO UNIXWare7.1.4 on vmware workstation9, virtualbox

Sir I am trying to install UnixWare7.1.4 on vmware workstation9, virtualbox and I am getting the following error FATAL BOOT ERROR: decompression failed For installing SCO Unixware7.1.4 I have created virtual harddisk of size 18GB, 1024 RAM, 64bit video memory, chosen unixware7.1.4... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshforu3
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Installing Linux on Vmware - Help needed

Hi Friends I am trying to install linux (32 bit) on windows. so i used Oracle virtual box and Vmware player in windows and installed them. but there is no category to select Linux version 7. how to install it pls help here. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ded325
7 Replies
YPSET(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						  YPSET(8)

NAME
ypset -- tell ypbind(8) which YP server process to use SYNOPSIS
ypset [-h host] [-d domain] server DESCRIPTION
Ypset tells the ypbind(8) process on the current machine which YP server process to communicate with. If server is down or is not running a YP server process, it is not discovered until a YP client process attempts to access a YP map, at which time ypbind(8) tests the binding and takes appropriate action. Ypset is most useful for binding a YP client that is not on the same broadcast network as the closest YP server, but can also be used for debugging a local network's YP configuration, testing specific YP client programs, or binding to a specific server when there are many servers on the local network supplying YP maps. The options are as follows: -h host Set the YP binding on host instead of the local machine. -d domain Use the YP domain domain instead of the default domain as returned by domainname(1). SEE ALSO
domainname(1), ypbind(8), ypcat(1), ypmatch(1), yppoll(8), ypwhich(1), yp(8) AUTHOR
Theo de Raadt BSD
October 25, 1994 BSD