Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mixing Perl with Bash
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Mixing Perl with Bash Post 302273290 by kermit on Saturday 3rd of January 2009 07:59:01 PM
Old 01-03-2009
Mixing Perl with Bash

I am fiddling with a little script that will issue a shutdown command if the temperature on the CPU goes above a certain level. I started writing the script in Bash, and then thought I would like to use Perl to extract the detailed bits, but I am not sure if this is really practical. Basically I want to parse the input a little better, but I am a bit of a novice at both Bash and Perl. I know how to extract what I want with Perl, but not so much with Bash. I know how to get the raw data with Bash, but I don't know how best to get that data to Perl, and then back as a variable to Bash so it can decide whether to leave the machine running, or issue a shutdown command. I wrote the first bit of the Bash script, which was relatively simple, but now I am at a standstill as I don't know how to bring Perl into the picture. Would my best bet be to write the 'raw data' to a file, and then call a separate Perl script, have it alter the file data as necessary, then read in the newly parsed data (in Bash) and act on that? Here is what I have gotten so far:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

cur_tmp= sensors | grep 'CPU Temp:' \
        | awk '{ print $3 }' \

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable from bash to perl from bash script

Hi All, I need to pass a variable to perl script from bash script, where in perl i am using if condition. Here is the cmd what i am using in perl FROM_DATE="06/05/2008" TO_DATE="07/05/2008" "perl -ne ' print if ( $_ >="$FROM_DATE" && $_ <= "$TO_DATE" ) ' filename" filename has... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsidh
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with changing bash to perl

Hi guys, I am converting a bash script to perl. I need lots of help and pointers on how to make the script work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is what I have: #!/usr/bin/perl #Decrypt Files $dir = "/usr/bin/gpg; opendir(PGP_DIR, $dir) || die "can't opendir $dir: $!";... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: freak
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

***convert from perl to bash***

can any body translate the follwing script into one that works in bash? #!/usr/bin/perl # classify_books.pl my $csv_file = shift; my %categories = ( 'childrens' => 'childrens_books.txt', 'horror' => 'horror_books.txt', 'sports ' =>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ferrycorsten73
3 Replies

4. Programming

Mixing code in C and Perl

Hi there, if you want to write an application partly in C and partly in Perl and have a final executable binary is it possible to do so. If yes, how ? My motivation for asking this question is that there are certain tasks that are so tedious to write in C while it can be taken care of in Perl... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jad
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl limitations vs. bash?

I've building a bunch of bash scripts, and am thinking about "converting" to perl, and have a couple questions first: 1. Is there anything bash will do that perl won't? 2. How steep is the learning curve? 3. If perl's more powerful, why? 4. I've built a small app in python, which seemed nice,... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
18 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl command in bash

I have the below perl script that runs (I think): 'C:\Users\cmccabe\Desktop\annovar\matrix.pl' < "${id}".txt.hg19_multianno.txt > "L:\NGS\3_BUSINESS\Matrix\Torrent\matrix_${id}.txt" The problem is I get an error that the ${id}.txt does not exist. I have tried "${id}.txt as well. ... (42 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
42 Replies

7. Programming

New to bash and perl scripting

How can we do submenu and show on the bottom how i can send back to main menu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramindia
1 Replies
BASHBUG(1)						      General Commands Manual							BASHBUG(1)

NAME
bashbug - report a bug in bash SYNOPSIS
bashbug [--version] [--help] [email-address] DESCRIPTION
bashbug is a shell script to help the user compose and mail bug reports concerning bash in a standard format. bashbug invokes the editor specified by the environment variable EDITOR on a temporary copy of the bug report format outline. The user must fill in the appropriate fields and exit the editor. bashbug then mails the completed report to bug-bash@gnu.org, or email-address. If the report cannot be mailed, it is saved in the file dead.bashbug in the invoking user's home directory. The bug report format outline consists of several sections. The first section provides information about the machine, operating system, the bash version, and the compilation environment. The second section should be filled in with a description of the bug. The third sec- tion should be a description of how to reproduce the bug. The optional fourth section is for a proposed fix. Fixes are encouraged. ENVIRONMENT
bashbug will utilize the following environment variables if they exist: EDITOR Specifies the preferred editor. If EDITOR is not set, bashbug defaults to emacs. HOME Directory in which the failed bug report is saved if the mail fails. TMPDIR Directory in which to create temporary files and directories. SEE ALSO
bash(1) AUTHORS
Brian Fox, Free Software Foundation bfox@gnu.org Chet Ramey, Case Western Reserve University chet@po.cwru.edu GNU Bash-4.0 1998 July 30 BASHBUG(1)