Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to get/print the lines from a specified file ? (LINUX) Post 302270840 by pludi on Tuesday 23rd of December 2008 02:19:33 AM
Old 12-23-2008
Code:
awk '{printf "%02d. ",NR ; print $0 ; }' test1.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

print all even lines of a txt file

In other news, I have a colors text file with hundreds of lines, and I want to print only the even numbered lines. for example I have this file looks something like this: ALLCOLORS.TXT red red green red blue red red red green red red blue green green green blue blue blue red blue blue blue... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to print certain lines from a file

Hi ALL, I want to print lines from file using certain conditions for exmple: # The following commands will create a new control file and use it # to open the database. # The contents of online logs will be lost and all backups will # be invalidated. Use this only if online logs are... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack00423
25 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to print data between 2 lines in a file

i want to print the data between two line numbers in file to another file. which command should i use i tried sed command . i am storing the line numbers in two variables say L1,L2. but $L1 and $L2 are not working in sed command. is there any other command to do this reply soon (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamesh83
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find lines from one file in the other and print them

Hi guys, please help me to make a loop! I have two files. File 1 2 4 7 File2 1 abc 2 cde 3 ghgj 4 kjhn 5 mbm 6 hghj 7 hgjk I need to write a script that reads lines from File1, finds them in File2 and puts in File3, so File3 should look like this: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: coppuca
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to print the certain lines in a file to different files

Hi All, File that I have: <ct> <name>group <value>1 <value>2 <value>3 </ct>-->file The output that I needed is <ct> <name>group <value>1 -->file1 <ct> <name>group <value>2 -->file2 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: natalie23
6 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Print lines 20-30 from a file

Hi I want to print lines 20-30 from a file. In UNIX , this command will work sed -n '20,30p' file However what is the equivalent command in DOS ? Pls help me ! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

print lines AFTER lines cointaining a regexp (or print every first and fourth line)

Hi all, This should be very easy but I can't figure it out... I have a file that looks like this: @SRR057408.1 FW8Y5CK02R652T length=34 AGCAGTGGTATCAACGCAGAGTAAGCAGTGGTAT +SRR057408.1 FW8Y5CK02R652T length=34 FIIHFF6666?=:88@@@BBD:::?@ABBAAA>8 @SRR057408.2 FW8Y5CK02TBMHV length=52... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmkocot
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strings from one file which exactly match to the 1st column of other file and then print lines.

Hi, I have two files. 1st file has 1 column (huge file containing ~19200000 lines) and 2nd file has 2 columns (small file containing ~6000 lines). ################################# huge_file.txt a a ab b ################################## small_file.txt a 1.5 b 2.5 ab ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print matching lines in a file

Hello everyone, I have a little script below: die "Usage infile outfile reGex" if @ARGV != 3; ($regex) = @ARGV; open(F,$ARGV) or die "Can't open"; open(FOUT,"+>$ARGV") or die "Can't open"; while (<F>) { print FOUT if /$regex/.../$regex/; } No matter what I give $regex on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new bie
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare 2 files print the lines of file 2 that contain a string from file 1

Hello I am a new unix user, and I have a work related task to compare 2 files and print all of the lines in file 2 that contain a string from file 1 Note: the fields are in different columns in the files. I suspect the is a good use for awk? Thanks for your time & help File 1 123 232 W343... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KevinRidley
6 Replies
bup-restore(1)						      General Commands Manual						    bup-restore(1)

NAME
bup-restore - extract files from a backup set SYNOPSIS
bup restore [--outdir=outdir] [-v] [-q] DESCRIPTION
bup restore extracts files from a backup set (created with bup-save(1)) to the local filesystem. The specified paths are of the form /branch/revision/path/to/file. The components of the path are as follows: branch the name of the backup set to restore from; this corresponds to the --name (-n) option to bup save. revision the revision of the backup set to restore. The revision latest is always the most recent backup on the given branch. You can dis- cover other revisions using bup ls /branch. /path/to/file the original absolute filesystem path to the file you want to restore. For example, /etc/passwd. Note: if the /path/to/file is a directory, bup restore will restore that directory as well as recursively restoring all its contents. If /path/to/file is a directory ending in a slash (ie. /path/to/dir/), bup restore will restore the children of that directory directly to the current directory (or the --outdir). If the directory does not end in a slash, the children will be restored to a subdirectory of the current directory. See the EXAMPLES section to see how this works. OPTIONS
-C, --outdir=outdir create and change to directory outdir before extracting the files. -v, --verbose increase log output. Given once, prints every directory as it is restored; given twice, prints every file and directory. -q, --quiet don't show the progress meter. Normally, is stderr is a tty, a progress display is printed that shows the total number of files restored. EXAMPLE
Create a simple test backup set: $ bup index -u /etc $ bup save -n mybackup /etc/passwd /etc/profile Restore just one file: $ bup restore /mybackup/latest/etc/passwd Restoring: 1, done. $ ls -l passwd -rw-r--r-- 1 apenwarr apenwarr 1478 2010-09-08 03:06 passwd Restore the whole directory (no trailing slash): $ bup restore -C test1 /mybackup/latest/etc Restoring: 3, done. $ find test1 test1 test1/etc test1/etc/passwd test1/etc/profile Restore the whole directory (trailing slash): $ bup restore -C test2 /mybackup/latest/etc/ Restoring: 2, done. $ find test2 test2 test2/passwd test2/profile SEE ALSO
bup-save(1), bup-ftp(1), bup-fuse(1), bup-web(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-restore(1)