Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users ..to check if a line includes a subline..? Post 302270070 by alex_5161 on Friday 19th of December 2008 01:54:35 PM
Old 12-19-2008
..to check if a line includes a subline..?

What would be the best way to check if a particular line (in variable) has an another line (more than 1 char)?

I understand it could be done with 'grep', 'sad', 'awk', by parameter expansion, but all these seems to me havy, worldy, not elegant and overhead in processing

For so common task I would expect something from shell, maybe, close to:
Code:
>a="string with piece to search"
>${a??"piece"} && echo "the string has a searched substring" || echo "not found"

... I used here a '??' as a, kind of, search operator (as '?' is used for another action.)
But I do not know anything like that. - Maybe I just do not know?
Otherwise,

what would be your best aproach to perform that simple action?

Thank you!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dynamic includes file for tar command

I'm writing a script to tar a list of log files. The tar command calls an includes file, which lists all of the log files that I want. My apache web server, however, creates a log file every day with the datestamp (mmddyy) at the end of it. I want the includes file to get the previous day's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kadishmj
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing string which includes metacharacters

I'm trying to create a bash script that takes a URL as one of its arguments like this: ./script.sh http://url.cfm?asdf&asdf=234 variable=$1 echo $variable I'm having trouble storing the URL because it contains the meta character "&" which is being interpreted... thus when I run the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kds1398
4 Replies

3. Programming

Multi-platform includes?

I know that <cstudio> can also be <stdio> and can be written different ways on Linux then with windows. I've see some code doing a IFDEF __APPLE__ (I'm guessing, if compiled on a mac do whats between this) Is there one for Linux/Window? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: james2432
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP STDERR includes the acknowledgement

I have this problem on my SFTP script. When you direct the standard error to a file, it also contains the acknlowledgement. See below: sftp.log Connecting to xxx.xxx.xxx This computer is property of x company and is intended on... Connecting to xxx.xxx.xxx This computer is property... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: The One
0 Replies

5. Programming

Makefile + #includes

Dear all I try to write a makefile for my code which have many source files, 1 header file that i make and exist into same folder with other source files and some other header files (by libraries witch i use) that found in other folders. In my header file i have put all other #includes for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: panou
3 Replies

6. Programming

Makefile includes and shell environment during compile

Below is the top of my Makefile. On one machine, I have mysql_config5, and another, I have mysql_config. In my .bashrc file of one UNIX machine, I added an alias so that that mysql_config5 is mysql_config, however, when I do make, it doesn't use that environment and I get compile errors, unless I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pyramation
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep regex, match exact string which includes "/" anywhere on line.

I have a file that contains the 2 following lines (from /proc/mounts) /dev/sdc1 /mnt/backup2 xfs rw,relatime,attr2,noquota 0 0 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup xfs rw,relatime,attr2,noquota 0 0 I need to match the string in the second column exactly so that only one result is returned, e.g. > grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pipe a filename that includes a date?

How do I pipe the output of something to a filename that includes the date, in a specific date format? Here's the goal. Output a script to a file periodically during the day: ./script.sh >>logname_yyyy-mm-dd.logAnd when the next day comes, it starts logging to a new filename because the date... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbsparks
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/grep: check if line exists, if not add line?

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to speed up the following as I want to use multiple commands to search thousands of files. is there a way to speed things up? Example I want to search a bunch of files for a specific line, if this line already exists do nothing, if it doesn't exist add it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)