Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting global variable not holding its value? Post 302268894 by Autocross.US on Tuesday 16th of December 2008 01:37:16 PM
Old 12-16-2008
If you run the for loop in a subshell, you can make that code work:

Code:
#! /bin/bash
TEST=1
(
 echo $TEST
 for i in 2 3 4 ; do
   TEST=$i
   echo $TEST
 done
)
echo $TEST

More info on variable scope here:
Subshells

Last edited by Autocross.US; 12-16-2008 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: clarity

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global variable becomes local

I have encountered a very weird behavior of a global variable in Korn Shell in AIX: A function f1 in my script pipes the output of the function f2 to a program. A variable defined as global using typeset gets its value in f2. That value is not seen in f1. If I remove the pipe ksh recognizes the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: odashe318
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global Variable in a script?

How to create a Global variable within a script file. say i want a varaible called LOGFILE to be used within all the script. how to do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

global variable in awk

I wrote a awk script file and define some global variables after BEGIN option: BEGIN { cell = ""; alarm = "";} when i run the command: awk -f awk_script inputfile The results are as expected. But when I put awk script into a shell script. Global variables couldn't be understand. I don't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anhtt
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

global variable not being set

In ksh I thought a global variable was any variable in a script or function that did not have the typeset command. I have a global in my calling script which I increment in a function, but the value does not change in the calling script. Here is the code: function f_open_log { typeset -r... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: robotball
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global variable

I have written a shell scritp in which i am using a variable which is declared before a while loop and i am updaitng the variable in while loop and want to use its updated value outside the loop. I am not able to do so, b'coz the scope of the variable is limited to the while loop only and when i am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepanshu
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Holding a variable unto other scripts.

Ex: Script 1 has pID=333. I want to take pID to Script 2 so I can retrive 333. How can I do this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yakuzan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Global Variable

Hi Guyz, I have a requirement like, i have to run a script every hour to count the number of errors encountered. At the end of the day, i need to send them the total number of errors, that have ocurred the entire day. For eg. if 10 errors occurred for starting 1 hr, 5 for next 1 hr, so on.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DTechBuddy
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subtract days from a variable holding date

Hi, could someone help on this.. I have a date in variable procdate="05/30/2009" I would want to Subtract it with 3 or 4 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: infernalhell
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global variable value

Hi All, Im new to shell scripting. I am running EgA.sh and setting one global variable XYZ=0 . Also calling another EgB.sh from EgA.sh, changing the value of XYZ=10 but after executing EgB.sh, value of XYZ is still 0. Im expecting it to be 10. Anyone for help. Thanks in Advance. :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paliwal
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global Variable

Hi, I have created a variable say today at the begin having 123 as its value and inside a for loop it gets resolved to some value say 150 in its first iteration. How can I use this value 150 ( 1st iteration's ) outside the scope of for loop ?. In the same way I wanted to use all iteration's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penqueen
1 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD