Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How does pipe work?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How does pipe work? Post 302268587 by siba.s.nayak on Tuesday 16th of December 2008 01:53:18 AM
Old 12-16-2008
Here A must finish before B starts. Because The output of A is the input for B.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

By angle-brackets/"pipe" button doesn't work?

How can I configure it? I have a swedish keyboard with swedish keyboard setting. Everything works perfectly (едц) except that button. What can be wrong? /Richard ++ NOTE: It seems like the computer notices the input but that the button isn't assigned to anything (the keyboard-cursor stops).... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: riwa
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Avoid intermediate files when pipe does nt work

problem with piping one output to another.Would like to avoid the intermediate file creation.The piping does nt work on places where files have been created and goes in an endless loop. sed -e "s/^\.\///g" $LINE1| sed -e "s/_\(\)/kkk\1/g" > $file1 tr -s '_' ' ' < $file1| \ sort -n -k... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: w020637
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk's getline < "-" seems not work for pipe

Hi all, I have an gawk script to get user's input, So I use getline name < "-" (or getline name < "/dev/stdin") in my script They both work fine when my script deals with files. But it is broken for pipes. When I try "some command | my awk script", the variable name just gets an empty... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: qiulang
17 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace pipe with Broken Pipe

Hi All , Is there any way to replace the pipe ( | ) with the broken pipe (0xA6) in unix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saj
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe to grep doesn't work in bash script

Hi, I'm trying to write a script that checks gvfs to see if a mount exists so I can run it from network-manager's status hooks. I thought I'd pipe the output of gvfs-mount -l to grep for the particular mounts I care about. When I do this in a bash script: cmnd="gvfs-mount -l | grep -i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcstrom
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore Pipe in Pipe delimited file?

Hi guys, I need to know how i can ignore Pipe '|' if Pipe is coming as a column in Pipe delimited file for eg: file 1: xx|yy|"xyz|zzz"|zzz|12... using below awk command awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS="|" } print $3 i would get xyz But i want as : xyz|zzz to consider as whole column... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why does bc work with 'here string' and not via pipe in this example?

Hi! I actually got it running, but I still would like to understand, why and how, since I am a beginner in bash scripting. I Need floating numbers and thus use bc in my bash script. Here it is: #!/bin/bash num1="10^-15" | bc -l #power function piped to bc - DOES NOT WORK echo $num1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: McHale
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Would pipe work better with this command

Hi again, have a script that I would like run, but before I can run it I need to strip out the windows \r end of lines. I have put the command into a text file and set the command to run every 10 seconds the coomand I use to do this is while sleep 10; do... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Walker
15 Replies

10. IP Networking

Discussion at work, would a router work pluging a cable in wan1 and lan1?

hi all. and sorry for the random question, but this sparkled a raging flame-war at work and i want more points of view situation a router, with linux of some sort, dhcp client requesting for ip in wan1 (as usual with wan ports) dhcp server listening in lan1, and assigning ip (as usual... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: broli
9 Replies
runsv(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  runsv(8)

NAME
runsv - starts and monitors a service and optionally an appendant log service SYNOPSIS
runsv service DESCRIPTION
service must be a directory. runsv switches to the directory service and starts ./run. If ./run exits and ./finish exists, runsv starts ./finish. If ./finish doesn't exist or ./finish exits, runsv restarts ./run. If ./run or ./finish exit immediately, runsv waits a second before starting ./finish or restarting ./run. Two arguments are given to ./finish. The first one is ./run's exit code, or -1 if ./run didn't exit normally. The second one is the least significant byte of the exit status as determined by waitpid(2); for instance it is 0 if ./run exited normally, and the signal number if ./run was terminated by a signal. If runsv cannot start ./run for some reason, the exit code is 111 and the status is 0. If the file service/down exists, runsv does not start ./run immediately. The control interface (see below) can be used to start the ser- vice and to give other commands to runsv. If the directory service/log exists, runsv creates a pipe, redirects service/run's and service/finish's standard output to the pipe, switches to the directory service/log and starts ./run (and ./finish) exactly as described above for the service directory. The standard input of the log service is redirected to read from the pipe. runsv maintains status information in a binary format (compatible to the daemontools' supervise program) in service/supervise/status and service/log/supervise/status, and in a human-readable format in service/supervise/stat, service/log/supervise/stat, service/supervise/pid, service/log/supervise/pid. CONTROL
The named pipes service/supervise/control, and (optionally) service/log/supervise/control are provided to give commands to runsv. You can use sv(8) to control the service or just write one of the following characters to the named pipe: u Up. If the service is not running, start it. If the service stops, restart it. d Down. If the service is running, send it a TERM signal, and then a CONT signal. If ./run exits, start ./finish if it exists. After it stops, do not restart service. o Once. If the service is not running, start it. Do not restart it if it stops. p Pause. If the service is running, send it a STOP signal. c Continue. If the service is running, send it a CONT signal. h Hangup. If the service is running, send it a HUP signal. a Alarm. If the service is running, send it a ALRM signal. i Interrupt. If the service is running, send it a INT signal. q Quit. If the service is running, send it a QUIT signal. 1 User-defined 1. If the service is running, send it a USR1 signal. 2 User-defined 2. If the service is running, send it a USR2 signal. t Terminate. If the service is running, send it a TERM signal. k Kill. If the service is running, send it a KILL signal. x Exit. If the service is running, send it a TERM signal, and then a CONT signal. Do not restart the service. If the service is down, and no log service exists, runsv exits. If the service is down and a log service exists, runsv closes the standard input of the log service, and waits for it to terminate. If the log service is down, runsv exits. This command is ignored if it is given to service/log/supervise/control. Example: to send a TERM signal to the socklog-unix service, either do # sv term /etc/service/socklog-unix or # printf t >/etc/service/socklog-unix/supervise/control printf(1) usually blocks if no runsv process is running in the service directory. CUSTOMIZE CONTROL
For each control character c sent to the control pipe, runsv first checks if service/control/c exists and is executable. If so, it starts service/control/c and waits for it to terminate, before interpreting the command. If the program exits with return code 0, runsv refrains from sending the service the corresponding signal. The command o is always considered as command u. On command d first service/control/t is checked, and then service/control/d. On command x first service/control/t is checked, and then service/control/x. The control of the optional log service cannot be customized. SIGNALS
If runsv receives a TERM signal, it acts as if the character x was written to the control pipe. EXIT CODES
runsv exits 111 on an error on startup or if another runsv is running in service. runsv exits 0 if it was told to exit. SEE ALSO
sv(8), chpst(8), svlogd(8), runit(8), runit-init(8), runsvdir(8), runsvchdir(8), utmpset(8) http://smarden.org/runit/ AUTHOR
Gerrit Pape <pape@smarden.org> runsv(8)