Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to start looping from the second line in .csv file Post 302266765 by codeman007 on Thursday 11th of December 2008 02:34:53 AM
Old 12-11-2008
how to start looping from the second line in .csv file

I have a .csv file and i use the below while loop to navigate through it
But i need to loop from the second line since the first line is the header

How will i do it?? please help

while IFS=, read Filename Path size readonly
do
echo "Filename -> ${Filename}"
echo "Path -> ${Path}"
echo "size -> ${size}"
echo "readonly -> ${readonly}"
done < filenames.csv

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping through each line of text file

Dear all, I have a text file like below. eg.txt abcd efgh ijkl mnop I need a script, which should read the text file eg.txt and assign each line as a parameter. This , i wil use further to pass it a java command to invoke. All inside a for loop Need your help on this. With... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KrishnaSaran
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read csv file line by line

Folks , i want to read a csv file line by line till the end of file and filter the text in the line and append everything into a variable. csv file format is :- trousers:shirts,price,50 jeans:tshirts,rate,60 pants:blazer,costprice,40 etc i want to read the first line and get... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start reading from the nth line till the last line of a file.

Hi, For my reuirement, I have to read a file from the 2nd line till the last line<EOF>. Say, I have a file as test.txt, which as a header record in the first line followed by records in rest of the lines. for i in `cat test.txt` { echo $i } While doing the above loop, I have read... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put a # in start of a specific line of a file

Hello Guys Please let me know how to solve the below issue I have a file like below drop table R1416.ABC1 cascade constraints; drop table R1416.ABC2 cascade constraints; drop table R1416.ABC3 cascade constraints; drop table R1416.ABC4 cascade constraints; drop table R1416.ABC5... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

FILE_ID extraction from file name and save it in CSV file after looping through each folders

FILE_ID extraction from file name and save it in CSV file after looping through each folders My files are located in UNIX Server, i want to extract file_id and file_name from each file .and save it in a CSV file. How do I do that? I have folders in unix environment, directory structure is... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: princetd001
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading line by line from live log file using while loop and considering only those lines start from

Hi, I want to read a live log file line by line and considering those line which start from time stamp; Below code I am using, which read line but throws an exception when comparing line that does not contain error code tail -F /logs/COMMON-ERROR.log | while read myline; do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Honey, I broke awk! (duplicate line removal in 30M line 3.7GB csv file)

I have a script that builds a database ~30 million lines, ~3.7 GB .cvs file. After multiple optimzations It takes about 62 min to bring in and parse all the files and used to take 10 min to remove duplicates until I was requested to add another column. I am using the highly optimized awk code: awk... (34 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
34 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract start/end times from log file to CSV file?

Hi, I have a log file (log.txt) that which contains lines of date/time. I need to create a script to extract a CSV file (out.csv) that gets all the sequential times (with only 1 minute difference) together by stating the start time and end time of this period. Sample log file (log.txt) ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.Zizo
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing string from last field of the nth line of file to start (or end) of each line (awk I think)

My file (the output of an experiment) starts off looking like this, _____________________________________________________________ Subjects incorporated to date: 001 Data file started on machine PKSHS260-05CP ********************************************************************** Subject 1,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: samonl
9 Replies
pilot-addresses(1)					      General Commands Manual						pilot-addresses(1)

NAME
pilot-addresses - read and write address book databases to and from a Palm handheld device, such as those made from Palm, Handspring, Han- dera, TRGPro, Sony or other Palm Compatible Handheld PDA device SYNOPSIS
pilot-addresses -p <port> [-c category ] [-d category ] [-r file | -w file ] (Note that some options are not shown above) DESCRIPTION
pilot-addresses allows the user to read all entries in the Palm address book database, write new entries into the database, and delete a category or delete all entries in the database. TARGET DEVICE
The default serial device used to communicate with a Palm is /dev/pilot. If the environment variable $PILOTPORT is set, its value will override the default. A serial device specified on the command-line will be used regardless of any $PILOTPORT setting. OPTIONS
Several options exist, including... -p --port <port>, Use device file port to communicate with the Palm handheld device. If this is not specified, will look for the $PILOTPORT environ- ment variable. If both are not found, will fall back to /dev/pilot. -h --help Display help synopsis for pilot-addresses -v --version Display version of pilot-addresses -a Augments fields in address book records with additional information. The augmented information is placed before and separated from the field with a semi-colon, (;). Augmented information includes: category_name - placed in front of each record or ["Work" | "Home" | "Fax" | "Other" | "E-mail" | "Main" | "Pager" | "Mobile" ] - placed in front of each phone number field. Empty fields are not augmented. -c category Install records to category category by default. Normally pilot-addresses uses Unfiled as the default category. This option is over- ridden by the category specified in the record with the -a option. -d category Delete all records in the specified category before installing new records. -D Delete all address book records in all categories. Obviously, be very careful with this one. -e Escape all special characters with a backslash. This enables you to read and write entries with newline characters in a field or note. -q Causes pilot-addresses to be quiet and not prompt you to press the HotSync button. -r file Reads records from file and install them to the Palm address book database. (Use the -w file to get a template file for input records.) -t delim Include category in each record, use the delimiter specified to separate all fields of a record. Delimiters are specified as fol- lows: 3=tab, 2=;, 1=,. This overrides the default delimiter of comma between fields and semi-colon between a field's augmented information. (Please note that this may generate confusing results when used with the -a option.) -T Write a header line with field titles as the first line of the data file. -w file Get all address book records from the Palm address book database and writes them into file USAGE
The program will connect to a target device and port, prompt the user to HotSync, and perform the requested read or write operation speci- fied by the user. EXAMPLES
To write all address records in a Palm to the file addrbook.csv: pilot-addresses -w addrbook.csv or pilot-addresses -p /dev/irnine -w addrbook.csv To read the address book records in the file addrbook.csv and install them on a Palm: pilot-addresses -r addrbook.csv To read the address book records in the file addrbook.csv and place them into the Palm address book database category Special after first deleting all current records in the Special category on the palm: pilot-addresses -c Special -d Special -r addrbook.csv SEE ALSO
pilot-link(7) KNOWN BUGS
pilot-addresses has no known bugs. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs at http://bugs.pilot-link.org/ AUTHOR
pilot-addresses originally written by Kenneth Albanowski, manual page was written by Robert Wittig <bob.wittig@gt.org>. Free Software Foundation Palm Computing Device Tools pilot-addresses(1)