Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting No output to CL when typing in CL. Post 302266720 by methyl on Wednesday 10th of December 2008 11:08:17 PM
Old 12-11-2008
1) If "stty echo" doesn't fix it, try "stty sane".
2) Whether this is a terminal emulator or a real terminal, try turning "local echo" on in the terminal setup.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

hide password typing

I am doing a project in C program which requires to type in password in Unix terminal. Does anybody know how to shade or not output any words typed by user in the terminal? I use the function scan() to read typing from user. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivancheung
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tab instead of typing in ksh

Does anyone know how to set up ksh, so I can use tab instead of typing every letter out for the commands? Also, how do I set it up, so I can type exit once to exit the shell instead of multiple times. Does anyone know a good reference link for ksh commands? Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jane@ist
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stuck after typing goto

uname -a returns: SMP Tue May 17 17:52:23 EDT 2005 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux I have many aliases beginning with "goto" so... if I type goto and then hit return (oops) A goto prompt pops up and I cant exit from it(I tried MANY key seqs) The only way to exit is to kill the term window... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rairey
2 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Learn typing in Chinese

I have a burning desire to learn how to type in chinese (and after, probably with success, in another languages). How to do this, all symbols are needed, and methods of input also. And a map of chinese keyboar layout will be helpful. I want very much study program. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xcislav
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Typing in Japanese language

Hi. I am running Solaris 10,HPUX 11.31 and AIX 6.1. I am trying to get my system to write in Japanese. I can choose the Japanese language for the system to display, but I cannot figure out how to write in Japanese. I have set up my system, and Mozilla (including the menu and web pages) to display... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meeraramanathan
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No $ when typing cw

Hi As a dummy my question is very simple. When typing cw I've read (many times) that a '$' should appear at the end of the word I'm about to change. However, it doesn't, and in my case the word is instantly deleted and so ready to be changed! Can somebody tell me why this is, or maybe I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: joesh
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zero typing problem!

H, I I have this below script for removing the full path from a string which is indeed a filepath location if windows. It converts input \abc\asssh\abc To abc But if filename has 0 like: \abc\abc\00000Hgg Then its typing abc00000Hgg PLEASE note that its solaris. Script is: more... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
10 Replies

8. HP-UX

@ typing creates new line

Dear Concern, Please go through the article https://www.unix.com/hp-ux/134072-typing-sign-creates-new-line.html As per the article, we need to initiate below commands. But after creating new session, we face same problem. Please advise. stty intr "^c" stty kill "^u" Please find below... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: makauser
6 Replies
script(1)						      General Commands Manual							 script(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
[file] DESCRIPTION
makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It starts a shell named by the environment variable, or by default and silently records a copy of output to your terminal from that shell or its descendents, using a pseudo-terminal device (see pty(7)). All output is written to file, or appended to file if the option is given. If no file name is given, the output is saved in a file named The recording can be sent to a line printer later with lp(1), or reviewed safely with the option of cat(1). The recording ends when the forked shell exits (or the user ends the session by typing "exit") or the shell and all its descendents close the pseudo-terminal device. This program is useful when operating a CRT display and a hard-copy record of the dialog is desired. It can also be used for a simple form of session auditing. respects the convention for login shells as described in su(1), sh(1), and ksh(1). Thus, if it is invoked with a command name beginning with a hyphen (that is, passes a basename to the shell that is also preceded by a hyphen. The input flow control can be enabled by setting environmental variable before running Please see section for details on using this envi- ronment variable. EXAMPLES
Save everything printed on the user's screen into file Append a copy of everything printed to the user's screen to file WARNINGS
A command such as which displays the contents of the destination file, should not be issued while executing because it would cause to log the output of the command to itself until all available disk space is filled. Other commands, such as more(1), can cause the same problem but to a lesser degree. records all received output in the file, including typing errors, backspaces, and cursor motions. Note that it does not record typed char- acters; only echoed characters. Thus passwords are not recorded in the file. Responses other than simple echoes (such as output from screen-oriented editors and command editing) are recorded as they appeared in the original session. When there is no input flow control is not set), there can be some data loss while using However, script(1) can behave unexpectedly, if is set and is not set. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley and HP. script(1)