Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers command substitution with tcsh Post 302265885 by Special_K on Monday 8th of December 2008 05:05:38 PM
Old 12-08-2008
command substitution with tcsh

I was trying to modify my .cshrc file so that the full path would always be displayed in my command prompt. After doing a search, I was able to accomplish this by adding these lines to my .cshrc file:

Code:
alias	 setprompt    'set prompt="%/% "'
setprompt

alias    cd           'chdir \!* && setprompt'
alias    pushd        'pushd \!* && setprompt'
alias    popd         'popd \!* && setprompt'

What exactly are the "\!*" characters doing (without the quotes)? I did some searching and know it has something to do with command substitution, but can anyone tell me exactly what that sequence of characters means?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution of last command

"Is there any substituation of last command or script syntax which can be used as a user. As far I know the "last" command is being used to display information about previous logins. A member of adm group or the user adm can execute it only. Thanks in advance for your usual help. Ghazi (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghazi
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tcsh read command ......?

i have just started to use the tcsh shell as a sort of personal challenge since I see so many users using other shells than just bash... I have written a spcript that is quite lengthy but it is in bash shell and gives an error message in tcsh shell so I cut the script in half and basically... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

assigning (numeric) command output to var tcsh

Hello, I'm trying to assign a numeric value that is returned from one of my programs to a variable in tcsh. I want to do: @ r10 = './my_prog file 35' where ./my_prog file 35 returns a decimal value, but this doesn't work. How do I achieve the desired result? Janet (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psran
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

at crontab tcsh setenv: command not found

i have written a script "master.shell" which is in the path: /a/homes.surrey.ac.uk/pgt_fs_002/bl00001/phd/griddata/shell/master.shell ==================================== #/usr/local/bin/tcsh setenv GLOBUS_LOCATION /grid/software/globus3 setenv PATH... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: binbintriangel
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed insert command and variable expansion/command substitution

I know this script is crummy, but I was just messing around.. how do I get sed's insert command to allow variable expansion to show the filename? #!/bin/bash filename=`echo $0` /usr/bin/sed '/#include/ { i\ the filename is `$filename` }' $1 exit 0 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

running zsh command in tcsh

Hi all is there a way to run zsh commands in a tcsh shell thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read command - using output from command substitution

Hey, guys! Trying to research this is such a pain since the read command itself is a common word. Try searching "unix OR linux read command examples" or using the command substitution keyword. :eek: So, I wanted to use a command statement similar to the following. This is kinda taken... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ProGrammar
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding command substitution

Oracle Linux 5.6, 64-bit Given the following snippet wrkvar=`sqlplus -s / as sysdba <<EOF set echo off feedback off head off trimsp on select count(*) from v\$parameter where name in ('db_file_name_convert','log_file_name_convert') and value is not null; EOF` echo wrkvar=$wrkvarProduces... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tcsh command for assigning output of awk to variable

Hi I have a text file with 2 values and I am trying to assign each value to a variable and then write those to text files. So if the textfile is data.txt with 2 values x and y I want to assign mean=x, and stdev=y and then write these out in text files alongwith the id ($id has already been... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: violin
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tcsh script - sed command for special characters

Hi, I am using sed command to replace following line in gz file- sed -n 's/""COS_12_TM_1" ( 1101110101001001010011110100000010110100010010000000100000000010XX010000000 )"/""COS_12_TM_1" ( 110111010100100101001111MM00000010110100010010000000100000000010XX010000000 )"/g' filename.gz $x=... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Preeti Chandra
4 Replies
yum-aliases(1)															    yum-aliases(1)

NAME
yum aliases plugin SYNOPSIS
yum [options] alias DESCRIPTION
This plugin changes other commands in yum, much like the alias command in bash. There are a couple of notable differences from shell style aliases though. The alias command has three forms: * alias * alias command * alias command result The first form lists all current aliases with their final result, the second form looks up a "command" and shows it's final result or an error message. The last form creates a new alias. Explanation of alias to final result conversion When you type an aliased command, like "yum --disableexcludes UPT lsu" using the default aliases, the yum-aliases plugin first takes the first "command", by skipping over any options, and then looks up the result (in this case "UPT" is converted to "--enablerepo=updates-test- ing"). If there is a match, then it will replace the aliased "command" in the argument list and try again (again skipping over any options). By convention, in the default aliases list, alias "commands" that are in all CAPS only add options so you can join together a chain of them before any real command or aliased command. There are two things that can alter the above, if you have the "recursive" configuration option set to off then alias processing will stop after the first alias to command substitution. Also, like in shell aliases, if the result starts with then alias processing will stop. EXAMPLES
To create a new alias command called "rm" which does the same thing as the command "remove" use: yum alias rm remove To always add the --skip-broken --disableexcludes=all --obsoletes options to the update command (but leaving the upgrade option alone), you could use: yum alias update update --skip-broken --disableexcludes=all --obsoletes To override the default "up" alias to use the above update command, and never ask for confirmation, you could use: yum alias up update -y AUTHORS
James Antill <james@and.org> SEE ALSO
yum-utils(1) yum(1) James Antill 31 March 2008 yum-aliases(1)