Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory DD copy excluding empty blocks? Post 302265324 by frank_rizzo on Saturday 6th of December 2008 04:10:01 PM
Old 12-06-2008
no. dd copies all blocks from a device. you should use another cloning solution or restore from a backup.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy Directories excluding files

Hi guys, I want to copy folder and sub folders only. I don't want the files. If i use cp -r command it will copy entirely with files. Could any one suggest me. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthik82
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copy a whole partition excluding specified.

Scenario: I would want to copy my / to /mnt, and to avoid recursion exclude /mnt. cp -avx / /mnt If i use the above i believe it would run recursively, and end up in mess. So how to do it ?! Basically this / is sda1, and /mnt is sda2 and sda1 is where only OS is available & currently... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thegeek
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Copy Structure excluding some folders

Hi I want to copy the structure from one place to another. -> cd /hol/; -> find . -type d | cpio -pvdm /abc/cat; while copying the structure I want to exclude some directories like test1 and Test. I have read somewhere that this can be done with -prune option. Could anyone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soumodeep123
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert 512-blocks to 4k blocks

I'm Unix. I'm looking at "df" on Unix now and below is an example. It's lists the filesystems out in 512-blocks, I need this in 4k blocks. Is there a way to do this in Unix or do I manually convert and how? So for container 1 there is 7,340,032 in size in 512-blocks. What would the 4k block be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockycj
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to split this file into blocks and then send these blocks as input to the tool called Yices?

Hello, I have a file like this: FILE.TXT: (define argc :: int) (assert ( > argc 1)) (assert ( = argc 1)) <check> # (define c :: float) (assert ( > c 0)) (assert ( = c 0)) <check> # now, i want to separate each block('#' is the delimeter), make them separate files, and then send them as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find/xargs/*grep: find multi-line empty "try-catch" blocks - eg, missing ; not in a commented block

How can I recursively find all files in a directory and print out the file and first line number of any text blocks that match the below cases? This would seem to involve find, xargs, *grep, regex, etc. In summary, I want to find so-called empty "try-catch blocks" that do not contain code... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifechamp
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files/directories excluding multiple paterns

my directory structure is like below: basedir\ p.txt q.htm r.java b\ abc.htm xyz.java c\ p.htm q.java rst.txt my requirement is i want to copy all the files and directories... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayyadavmca
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Row blocks to column blocks

Hello, Searched for a while and found some "line-to-column" script. My case is similar but with multiple fields each row: S02 Length Per S02 7043 3.864 S02 54477 29.89 S02 104841 57.52 S03 Length Per S03 1150 0.835 S03 1321 0.96 S03 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy non-empty files into subdirectory

How to Copy non-empty files into subdirectory I have directory A there are bunch of files: a.txt a.txt.target b.txt b.target.txt....... How can i find out the non-empty file within *.txt.target and copy them into a subdirectory B? Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grace_shen
2 Replies

10. Web Development

Php help to copy form field if empty

I have an input form with several fields. What I would like to achieve is to auto populate or copy certain fields if they are empty when the form is submitted. I would like to use php if not then javascript but not jquery if possible - I have sort of had a go but I really have no idea... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
4 Replies
VGCFGRESTORE(8)                                               System Manager's Manual                                              VGCFGRESTORE(8)

NAME
vgcfgrestore - restore volume group descriptor area SYNOPSIS
vgcfgrestore [-d|--debug] [-f|--file filename] [-l[l]|--list] [-h|--help] [-M|--Metadatatype1|2] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] VolumeGroupName DESCRIPTION
vgcfgrestore allows you to restore the metadata of VolumeGroupName from a text backup file produced by vgcfgbackup. You can specify a backup file with --file. If no backup file is specified, the most recent one is used. Use --list for a list of the available backup and archive files of VolumeGroupName. OPTIONS
-l | --list -- List files pertaining to VolumeGroupName List metadata backup and archive files pertaining to VolumeGroupName. May be used with the -f option. Does not restore Vol- umeGroupName. -f | --file filename -- Name of LVM metadata backup file Specifies a metadata backup or archive file to be used for restoring VolumeGroupName. Often this file has been created with vgcfg- backup. See lvm for common options. REPLACING PHYSICAL VOLUMES
vgdisplay --partial --verbose will show you the UUIDs and sizes of any PVs that are no longer present. If a PV in the VG is lost and you wish to substitute another of the same size, use pvcreate --restorefile filename --uuid uuid (plus additional arguments as appropriate) to initialise it with the same UUID as the missing PV. Repeat for all other missing PVs in the VG. Then use vgcfgrestore --file filename to restore the volume group's metadata. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcreate(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) VGCFGRESTORE(8)